"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Now that's a fantastic idea, Jeeks!!!!!!..............you could pour some of your volcanic concoction into a couple of ice cube trays....freeze.....then add the frozen cubes to some freezer zip loc bags.....when you want to make stew, chili, beans, etc, or you need a rush or a zip in a meal pop in a cube or two......Here's to smoke coming out of your ears.........
Lol, I kinda meant make new hot sauces instead of having one gigantic batch of the same sauce.....but your idea is a good one too!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
Master Chef

LOL........see the contributions we of wee attention spans make?????............yes, you are righty about making a new sauce, too.........I do the ice cube thingy with left-over homemade chili flavoring that would knock your socks off......

Old 10-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharonany View Post
I like hot sauce hot. . .but I made some with chili bonnets and jalapeno's and it is just too darn hot. The recipe called for the peppers, garlic, vinegar, spices and dry mustard.

Any suggestions to "cool it down" just a bit? Sugar? Dairy? It is so hot I feel as though I will never be able to use it!!

Thanks much!!

Muy Caliente!!
I know this is an old post. But do you happen to still have the recipe for this hot sauce?! My hubby loves HOT stuff but I can NEVER find anything that is hot enough for him, and by the sounds of this post this hot sauce might just be it.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Jessica, the poster has only two posts and hasn't been here since 2008. I think you'll have to look elsewhere for a recipe.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

You should be able to find something here: http://thehotsauceaddiction.com/
Old 10-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
Head Chef

Great Site Got Garlic.

Thanks for the link.

I'm sure I'll spend lots of time on it when I should be doing other things.

Let's hope I don't burn my taste buds out.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
I know this is an old post. But do you happen to still have the recipe for this hot sauce?! My hubby loves HOT stuff but I can NEVER find anything that is hot enough for him, and by the sounds of this post this hot sauce might just be it.
Hot Salsa
Ingredients:
3 medium, ripe, red tomatoes, coarse dice, or 15 oz. can diced tomatoes.
1 medium, yellow onion, large dice
1 tomatillo, peeled and diced
2 jalapenos, coarse dice
2 Anaheim peppers, diced
2 habenero peppers, chopped (scotch bonnet peppers)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
3 smoked, dried, bhuk jalokia peppers, minced, with seeds
1 tsp. cilantro
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. salt

Add all the peppers, onion, and garlic to a sauce pot with 2 tbs. cooking oil. Saute over medium heat until they just start to soften. Add the tomato and salt. Simmer for ten minutes. Place in lidded glass jar and refrigerate. Let sit for a week to let the flavors blend.

This is a full bodied, balanced, multi level hot sauce that will give you layers of heat, some starting instantly, with others building as you eat more of the sauce. Because of the many different peppers used, some will affect your lip and gums, while others will tickle the top and sides of your tongue. Still more heat will develop in the back of your throat.

Caution, even if you like you sauce really hot, like I do, don't sneeze or cough while eating this sauce. Your mouth and and esophagus may handle this sauce admirable well. but I guarantee, if it goes up your now, or down your trachea, you will be in distress. I know this from experience. Oh, and wear gloves while making it. If you touch various, sensitive parts of your body after handling these peppers, you will be in distress. I learned this the hard way as well. And trust me, pain is not the teacher you want.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Oh, and wear gloves while making it. If you touch various, sensitive parts of your body after handling these peppers, you will be in distress. I learned this the hard way as well. And trust me, pain is not the teacher you want.

Please explain.

On second thought I really don't want to know.

Looks like a good recipe. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Please explain.

On second thought I really don't want to know.

Looks like a good recipe. Thanks.
My DH cut up some hot peppers without gloves. He scrubbed his hands very carefully. His next post on LiveJournal or FaceBook was called "Great Balls of Fire".
Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Hot Salsa
Ingredients:
3 medium, ripe, red tomatoes, coarse dice, or 15 oz. can diced tomatoes.
1 medium, yellow onion, large dice
1 tomatillo, peeled and diced
2 jalapenos, coarse dice
2 Anaheim peppers, diced
2 habenero peppers, chopped (scotch bonnet peppers)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
3 smoked, dried, bhuk jalokia peppers, minced, with seeds
1 tsp. cilantro
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. salt

Add all the peppers, onion, and garlic to a sauce pot with 2 tbs. cooking oil. Saute over medium heat until they just start to soften. Add the tomato and salt. Simmer for ten minutes. Place in lidded glass jar and refrigerate. Let sit for a week to let the flavors blend.

This is a full bodied, balanced, multi level hot sauce that will give you layers of heat, some starting instantly, with others building as you eat more of the sauce. Because of the many different peppers used, some will affect your lip and gums, while others will tickle the top and sides of your tongue. Still more heat will develop in the back of your throat.

Caution, even if you like you sauce really hot, like I do, don't sneeze or cough while eating this sauce. Your mouth and and esophagus may handle this sauce admirable well. but I guarantee, if it goes up your now, or down your trachea, you will be in distress. I know this from experience. Oh, and wear gloves while making it. If you touch various, sensitive parts of your body after handling these peppers, you will be in distress. I learned this the hard way as well. And trust me, pain is not the teacher you want.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thanks Chief! That does look like a GREAT recipe. Thanks for sharing

Tags
None