"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Now that's a fantastic idea, Jeeks!!!!!!..............you could pour some of your volcanic concoction into a couple of ice cube trays....freeze.....then add the frozen cubes to some freezer zip loc bags.....when you want to make stew, chili, beans, etc, or you need a rush or a zip in a meal pop in a cube or two......Here's to smoke coming out of your ears.........
Lol, I kinda meant make new hot sauces instead of having one gigantic batch of the same sauce.....but your idea is a good one too!
__________________

__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
Master Chef
 
expatgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,575
LOL........see the contributions we of wee attention spans make?????............yes, you are righty about making a new sauce, too.........I do the ice cube thingy with left-over homemade chili flavoring that would knock your socks off......
__________________

__________________
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #23
Senior Cook
 
Jessica_Morris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fayetteville, Georgia
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharonany View Post
I like hot sauce hot. . .but I made some with chili bonnets and jalapeno's and it is just too darn hot. The recipe called for the peppers, garlic, vinegar, spices and dry mustard.

Any suggestions to "cool it down" just a bit? Sugar? Dairy? It is so hot I feel as though I will never be able to use it!!

Thanks much!!

Muy Caliente!!
I know this is an old post. But do you happen to still have the recipe for this hot sauce?! My hubby loves HOT stuff but I can NEVER find anything that is hot enough for him, and by the sounds of this post this hot sauce might just be it.
__________________
Jessica_Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,370
Jessica, the poster has only two posts and hasn't been here since 2008. I think you'll have to look elsewhere for a recipe.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,863
You should be able to find something here: http://thehotsauceaddiction.com/
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,229
Great Site Got Garlic.

Thanks for the link.

I'm sure I'll spend lots of time on it when I should be doing other things.

Let's hope I don't burn my taste buds out.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
I know this is an old post. But do you happen to still have the recipe for this hot sauce?! My hubby loves HOT stuff but I can NEVER find anything that is hot enough for him, and by the sounds of this post this hot sauce might just be it.
Hot Salsa
Ingredients:
3 medium, ripe, red tomatoes, coarse dice, or 15 oz. can diced tomatoes.
1 medium, yellow onion, large dice
1 tomatillo, peeled and diced
2 jalapenos, coarse dice
2 Anaheim peppers, diced
2 habenero peppers, chopped (scotch bonnet peppers)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
3 smoked, dried, bhuk jalokia peppers, minced, with seeds
1 tsp. cilantro
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. salt

Add all the peppers, onion, and garlic to a sauce pot with 2 tbs. cooking oil. Saute over medium heat until they just start to soften. Add the tomato and salt. Simmer for ten minutes. Place in lidded glass jar and refrigerate. Let sit for a week to let the flavors blend.

This is a full bodied, balanced, multi level hot sauce that will give you layers of heat, some starting instantly, with others building as you eat more of the sauce. Because of the many different peppers used, some will affect your lip and gums, while others will tickle the top and sides of your tongue. Still more heat will develop in the back of your throat.

Caution, even if you like you sauce really hot, like I do, don't sneeze or cough while eating this sauce. Your mouth and and esophagus may handle this sauce admirable well. but I guarantee, if it goes up your now, or down your trachea, you will be in distress. I know this from experience. Oh, and wear gloves while making it. If you touch various, sensitive parts of your body after handling these peppers, you will be in distress. I learned this the hard way as well. And trust me, pain is not the teacher you want.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Oh, and wear gloves while making it. If you touch various, sensitive parts of your body after handling these peppers, you will be in distress. I learned this the hard way as well. And trust me, pain is not the teacher you want.

Please explain.

On second thought I really don't want to know.


Looks like a good recipe. Thanks.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Please explain.

On second thought I really don't want to know.


Looks like a good recipe. Thanks.
My DH cut up some hot peppers without gloves. He scrubbed his hands very carefully. His next post on LiveJournal or FaceBook was called "Great Balls of Fire".
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #30
Senior Cook
 
Jessica_Morris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fayetteville, Georgia
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Hot Salsa
Ingredients:
3 medium, ripe, red tomatoes, coarse dice, or 15 oz. can diced tomatoes.
1 medium, yellow onion, large dice
1 tomatillo, peeled and diced
2 jalapenos, coarse dice
2 Anaheim peppers, diced
2 habenero peppers, chopped (scotch bonnet peppers)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
3 smoked, dried, bhuk jalokia peppers, minced, with seeds
1 tsp. cilantro
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. salt

Add all the peppers, onion, and garlic to a sauce pot with 2 tbs. cooking oil. Saute over medium heat until they just start to soften. Add the tomato and salt. Simmer for ten minutes. Place in lidded glass jar and refrigerate. Let sit for a week to let the flavors blend.

This is a full bodied, balanced, multi level hot sauce that will give you layers of heat, some starting instantly, with others building as you eat more of the sauce. Because of the many different peppers used, some will affect your lip and gums, while others will tickle the top and sides of your tongue. Still more heat will develop in the back of your throat.

Caution, even if you like you sauce really hot, like I do, don't sneeze or cough while eating this sauce. Your mouth and and esophagus may handle this sauce admirable well. but I guarantee, if it goes up your now, or down your trachea, you will be in distress. I know this from experience. Oh, and wear gloves while making it. If you touch various, sensitive parts of your body after handling these peppers, you will be in distress. I learned this the hard way as well. And trust me, pain is not the teacher you want.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thanks Chief! That does look like a GREAT recipe. Thanks for sharing
__________________

__________________
Jessica_Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.