Help needed - sweet & sour sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Mine seems a bit on the sour side!!

ingredients:
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tblsp fresh orange juice
6 tblsp chinese vinegar (went to chinese wholesalers looking for white wine vinegar and this is what she recommended for s&s)
2 tblsp tomoatoe puree
4 teasp light soy sauce
2 teasp of cornflour

have mixed it all up and simmered in on a low heat, just taste that little bit too sour. Can i just add in more sugar or will it tastle less sour when added to the chicken and rice?

:ermm:

thanks a mil miniman, lol there i was looking under sauces, never dawned on me to look at ethnic foods section! you live and learn. Did go with CharlieD suggestion (many thanks also CharlieD) and added loads of sugar (we'll all be brushing our teeth for the night) and it turned out ok, but will be giving the other suggestions a good read before my next venture!

IMO, orange juice is kind of on the sour side for a sweet and sour sauce. I'd substitute pineapple juice myself.

Agree, you have two sour things, the OJ and the vinegar. Would go slower on them in the future.

One thing I have found that I think works is one can boil off vinegar. Like to add vinegar to some dishes, particularly certain soups. Find it gives a bit of pizzaz. But it only seems to work if I add it just before service. Otherwise it seems to have disappeared.

I assume I am boiling it off. Just an idea.

thanks a mil miniman, lol there i was looking under sauces, never dawned on me to look at ethnic foods section! you live and learn. Did go with CharlieD suggestion (many thanks also CharlieD) and added loads of sugar (we'll all be brushing our teeth for the night) and it turned out ok, but will be giving the other suggestions a good read before my next venture!

You are welcome.

If you can find it, try finding a pineapple-infused vinegar. That will hopefully be a little sweeter than the vinegar you're using.

Back
Top Bottom