Help with chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrantsKat

Executive Chef
I have boneless, skinless chicken breasts that Im going to wrap with peppered maple bacon and cook in the oven. I want to make a sauce to go along with it, I'll probably make rice, not sure yet.
So any suggestions on a sauce that will work well with the chicken wrapped bacon?

I don't usually sauce dishes with bacon, but you could probably go in one of two very opposite directions - something fruity to pick up on the slight sweetness that maple bacon has, or something with a vinegar tang to offset it.

I'd stuff them with swiss cheese before wrapping with bacon and skip the sauce.

You could sauce the chicken with a cream sauce then sprinkle some chopped bacon on top. Key word is: Sprinkle LOL

Other than that, maybe some sort of mustard sauce or a bourbon/pineapple glaze?

Thanks Jeeks! We dont have bacon often so I really want to wrap the chicken in a nice, fat piece!!!:pig:I dont have any booze in the house at the moment:ohmy:
I'll look into the mustard sauce, that might work

Thanks everybody:)

When the pan comes out of the oven, I'd deglaze it with a little white wine, reduce that, and swirl in a bit of butter at the end for shine. :chef:

I would do what ChefJune suggested. Can the pan you are cooking it in be placed on the stovetop afterward? If so, set on stove with heat on, add a bit of chicken broth or vegetable broth to deglaze (if you don't have white wine), let this cook for a few minutes, add a pat or two of butter to finish it.

OR, you could set the pan on the stove, sprinkle in enough flour to absorb the "liquid" in the pan, cook for at least 3 minutes to remove the flour taste (whisk often), add some chicken broth while briskly whisking until you have a sauce. Of course, salt and pepper this. You could add a LITTLE Dijon Mustard to this too or not. Oh, and if there isn't much liquid in the pan you can melt a few pats of butter first then add the flour.

A pan sauce would work, just watch the fat content. You may want to pour off excess fat from the bacon and use some chicken stock to cut the bacon flavor a little.

Thanks KE that sounds like a good idea, I do have chicken stock.
Jeeks I was thinking the same thing, there will probably be a lot of fat, so I'll pour off all but maybe a tablespoon or so.
Thanks guys & gals!! = )

I roasted a bacon-wrapped chicken and it came out very good. But, before you do this, let me give you a bit of info. The bacon flavor will not penetrate the meat, and the bacon will insulate the skin from the heat as well. If you want to brown the bird, about twenty minutes before the bird is done, remove the bacon and turn up the oven to 425. Finish the bird in the hot oven, using a meat thermometer to let you know when you reach a target temperature of 155 degrees F. in the thickest part of the white meat (next to the leg joint, but not touching the bone).

I place onion slices, carrot chunks, and mushroom around the chicken as it was roasting. The resultant broth was tremendous as it was, with the fat seperated out. But I added a slurry of cornstarch to thicken it into a gravy. Everyone said that it was the best ever. The mushrooms really added to the overal quality of the finished product.

Potatoes would roast great in the same pan as well. And roast this bird with the lid off. Lightly season the skin with salt after removing the bacon.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed - she is only cooking boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, not a whole bird...I think you misread it :chef:

Back
Top Bottom