Hollandaise the easy way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fmw

Senior Cook
Hollandaise sauce is one of the great gifts the French have given us. It is wonderful on some veggies such as asparagus and, of course, tops the famed eggs benedict. It takes a while to make Hollandaise the classic way they teach in culinary school with the double boiler and clarified butter. Here is a Hollandaise you can make in five minutes.

Start with a cold pan. We want to avoid breaking the sauce so be sure you haven't heated the pan. Put 1 stick of butter cut into pats, 3 egg yolks, a pinch of salt and the juice of half a lemon in the pan. Put the pan on a medium burner and start stirring. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens and continue stirring it for at least 30 seconds after you remove the pan from the burner. Don't stop stirring or you may break the sauce. That is all there is to it. It only takes 5 minutes and it tastes just like the classic.

I like to use Eric Ripert's blender method/recipe. Always comes out just right and doesn't break, even if it sits for a few.

Nice, guys! Love me some good hollandaise. My method is to open up a packet of Knorr hollandaise mix, add water, and cook according to the directions on the packet.

Last edited:
Nice, guys! Love me some good hollandaise. My method is to open up a packet of Knorr hollandaise mix, add water, and cook according to the directions on the packet.

Spike's favorite also. I hate standing at the stove and stirring and stirring. So I bought myself a Stir Chef many years ago. Reading the reviews I have never had any of the problem of some users. Unfortunately the company went out of business, but there are other companies that have come up with an even better product. But I will stick with what I have until I find it useless. :angel:

I have been using the Betty Crocker Hollandaise Sauce recipe for nearly 40 years. Have never had it break, have never had problems making it or getting it to thicken, have been able to save any leftover and reheat it. It's like making BBQ - low and slow works.

You start with the egg yolk and lemon juice in your pan, then use the melting of the butter to cook the yolk and thicken it. Really not hard, unless you call stirring something for five minutes "hard".

I have been using the Betty Crocker Hollandaise Sauce recipe for nearly 40 years. Have never had it break, have never had problems making it or getting it to thicken, have been able to save any leftover and reheat it. It's like making BBQ - low and slow works.

You start with the egg yolk and lemon juice in your pan, then use the melting of the butter to cook the yolk and thicken it. Really not hard, unless you call stirring something for five minutes "hard".

I thought I had something uniquely handy and effective and Betty Crocker beat me to it by a long while. Thanks. I guess there is nothing new on the planet. Sorry to the other suggestions but I will pass on the blenders and mixes.

Sorry to the other suggestions but I will pass on the blenders and mixes.

I made hollandaise using a method much like yours for many years but the blender method is much easier and tastes the same if not better.

Julia Child made hers in a blender. So do Eric Ripert and Ina Garten and lots of other chefs who could very easily make it on the stove but say "why bother?"

Here's Julia Child's recipe: Julia Child's Easy Blender Hollandaise Sauce

It doesn't taste like the packet kind. My mother loves that stuff.

It's OK. I'll spend the extra 3 minutes. Not a big deal to me and it gives me control over the process. Besides I like my egg yolks properly cooked.

Fmw, your recipe does sound great, as do the others. Just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a hollandaise!

Last edited:
I do mine on the stove top with a whisk. The hard part for me is separating the eggs which you have to do with the other methods.

I also always add a pinch of cayenne to mine.

I do mine on the stove top with a whisk. The hard part for me is separating the eggs which you have to do with the other methods.

I also always add a pinch of cayenne to mine.

I just make sure my hands are impeccably clean and separate eggs right in my hand like they do in big kitchens. So much easier and quick. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom