Homemade pesto in 5 minutes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aromataste

Assistant Cook
Hello folks,
I signed myself in this community only two days ago, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying this forum!
Today I would love to share my way to make pesto....in 5 minutes
(so this post will be just few lines....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)
Ingredients for seasoning 500 gr of pasta:
50 gr basil leaves
100 ml extra virgin olive oil
between 50 and 100 gr Parmesan cheese
15 grams pine nuts
15 gr walnuts
A blender, I use a very old hand blender.....any one will be fine.

Minutes 1 and 2: wash the pesto leaves ( some one prefer to clean them with a cloth....to don't make them losing flavour....but I just wash them in the sink), mix the basil with the pine nuts, walnuts, parmesan, olive oil and a bit of salt in a pot or in your blender ( I use the plastic glass of my hand blender).
Minute 3: take a good breath....look if anyone is sleeping in the house.
Minute 4: Blend the mixture until the end of minute 5.....If you have obtained a green, soft, basil smelling sauce like this in this picture that I found in the web....you did it!!!
pesto_genovese-586x390.jpg

Now you have just to add it to your pasta after draining it, mix it and enjoy it!!:chef::chef::chef::chef::chef:

Ps...tonight I will make butternut squash and white truffle risotto for my girlfriend...I'll try to take some decent pictures and write the recipe.

There are as many variations of pesto as there are chicken noodle soup.

Can't wait until I can start snipping from my basil plant so I can use them for this!

Bones ~ your question about keeping pesto green is a good one. I saw Michael Chirarello on The Foodnetwork blanch the basil leaves in boiling water and put them to dry on paper towels. When the towels had absorbed most of the water, he made pesto. I have tried this and it works pretty well. Also, a friend of mine uses lemon juice in her pesto and she says that helps it from getting dark.

I agree with you Beth ---- my pesto has lots of garlic in it!

I forgot the garlic.......I'm sorry!!!!!!!!! I put just a clove.
@Roll Bones:
By my experience pesto colour depends on the basil variety I use.
Using the large leave basil, which are typical of Southern Italy and light green, my pesto results the same colour of the picture.
If I use the typical Genoese Basil, which has smaller leaves and darker colour, the pesto as well will result slightly darker than the picture!

A person can never have too much garlic in one's life. :angel:
As well as a cooking ingredient, garlic is good for the heart, the lungs, the skin, the digestion and if you give you horse (or dog) garlic regularly it will deter intestinal parasites. I wouldn't suggest using it in place of anti worming medicine but it does help to keep them away (and your horse doesn't smell of garlic apart from when he's just this minute eaten it and he huffs in your face:)).
It also has anti-bacterial effects and is supposed to frighten off cold germs. My horse has 100% garlic powder every day and is never bothered by flies and midges in the summer.

Garlic is wonderful.

As well as a cooking ingredient, garlic is good for the heart, the lungs, the skin, the digestion and if you give you horse (or dog) garlic regularly it will deter intestinal parasites. I wouldn't suggest using it in place of anti worming medicine but it does help to keep them away (and your horse doesn't smell of garlic apart from when he's just this minute eaten it and he huffs in your face:)).
It also has anti-bacterial effects and is supposed to frighten off cold germs. My horse has 100% garlic powder every day and is never bothered by flies and midges in the summer.

Garlic is wonderful.

Garlic is toxic to dogs, actually.

From the ASPCA:

"Onions and Garlic
All close members of the onion family (shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, etc.) contain compounds that can damage dogs’ red blood cells if ingested in sufficient quantities. A rule of thumb is “the stronger it is, the more toxic it is.” Garlic tends to be more toxic than onions, on an ounce-for-ounce basis. While it’s uncommon for dogs to eat enough raw onions and garlic to cause serious problems, exposure to concentrated forms of onion or garlic, such as dehydrated onions, onion soup mix or garlic powder, may put dogs at risk of toxicosis. The damage to the red blood cells caused by onions and garlic generally doesn’t become apparent until three to five days after a dog eats these vegetables. Affected dogs may seem weak or reluctant to move, or they may appear to tire easily after mild exercise. Their urine may be orange-tinged to dark red in color. These dogs should be examined by a veterinarian immediately. In severe cases, blood transfusions may be needed."

I forgot the garlic.......I'm sorry!!!!!!!!! I put just a clove.
@Roll Bones:
By my experience pesto colour depends on the basil variety I use.
Using the large leave basil, which are typical of Southern Italy and light green, my pesto results the same colour of the picture.
If I use the typical Genoese Basil, which has smaller leaves and darker colour, the pesto as well will result slightly darker than the picture!

Thanks and welcome to the forum. I am new myself.
My question was maybe not worded correctly. My concern is color change after the pesto is made and stored in the fridge.
How do you keep it bright green?
Or do you use it all up when you make it?

When I store pesto I put a small amount, just the dose for 2-3 people, in a espresso coffee plastic cup, covered with silver foil and I froze it.
I do not store my pesto in the fridge for more than 1 day.

RB, you can put plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pesto to keep it green. It's exposure to oxygen (oxidation) that causes the color change. To freeze, I put a thin layer of evoo on the surface.

Garlic and other members of the onion family are toxic to cats as well.

Horses (as already mentioned) can eat garlic.

I was just out in the garden this morning and noticed that my basil is begging me to pick it for pesto so I'll be making this today as well. I usually make 14-16 half pint jars and two Pint jars (I freeze them for the winter) that I call "Party Pesto" jars since we take it to parties in December along with a loaves of French bread.

I started taking the recipe along with me because I had so many requests for it...it's about the easiest thing you can bring to a party and it is so appreciated!

Aha! We have another Brit amongst us. Welcome to DC. You will find many of your countrymen/women here as members also. This is truly an international forum. But no matter what part of the globe you come from ,we welcome all. This is a fun place to be. Lots of laughter and sharing. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom