"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Homemade pesto in 5 minutes!

Hello folks,
I signed myself in this community only two days ago, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying this forum!
Today I would love to share my way to make pesto....in 5 minutes
(so this post will be just few lines....)
Ingredients for seasoning 500 gr of pasta:
50 gr basil leaves
100 ml extra virgin olive oil
between 50 and 100 gr Parmesan cheese
15 grams pine nuts
15 gr walnuts
A blender, I use a very old hand blender.....any one will be fine.

Minutes 1 and 2: wash the pesto leaves ( some one prefer to clean them with a cloth....to don't make them losing flavour....but I just wash them in the sink), mix the basil with the pine nuts, walnuts, parmesan, olive oil and a bit of salt in a pot or in your blender ( I use the plastic glass of my hand blender).
Minute 3: take a good breath....look if anyone is sleeping in the house.
Minute 4: Blend the mixture until the end of minute 5.....If you have obtained a green, soft, basil smelling sauce like this in this picture that I found in the web....you did it!!!

Now you have just to add it to your pasta after draining it, mix it and enjoy it!!

Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Ps...tonight I will make butternut squash and white truffle risotto for my girlfriend...I'll try to take some decent pictures and write the recipe.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Does your pesto stay bright green like in the picture?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Cook

i find just taking the leaves off of the stem takes the most amount of time
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Executive Chef

You don't put garlic in your pesto? For me, pesto is one of the main vehicles to get to eat raw garlic.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Head Chef

There are as many variations of pesto as there are chicken noodle soup.

Can't wait until I can start snipping from my basil plant so I can use them for this!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Bones ~ your question about keeping pesto green is a good one. I saw Michael Chirarello on The Foodnetwork blanch the basil leaves in boiling water and put them to dry on paper towels. When the towels had absorbed most of the water, he made pesto. I have tried this and it works pretty well. Also, a friend of mine uses lemon juice in her pesto and she says that helps it from getting dark.

I agree with you Beth ---- my pesto has lots of garlic in it!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

A person can never have too much garlic in one's life.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I know it's not traditional but I like pesto made with pistachio nuts.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I forgot the garlic.......I'm sorry!!!!!!!!! I put just a clove.
@Roll Bones:
By my experience pesto colour depends on the basil variety I use.
Using the large leave basil, which are typical of Southern Italy and light green, my pesto results the same colour of the picture.
If I use the typical Genoese Basil, which has smaller leaves and darker colour, the pesto as well will result slightly darker than the picture!

Tags
basil, nuts, oil, parmesan, recipe, homemade

Homemade pesto in 5 minutes! Hello folks, I signed myself in this community only two days ago, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying this forum! Today I would love to share my way to make pesto....in 5 minutes (so this post will be just few lines....:rofl::rofl:) Ingredients for seasoning 500 gr of pasta: 50 gr basil leaves 100 ml extra virgin olive oil between 50 and 100 gr Parmesan cheese 15 grams pine nuts 15 gr walnuts A blender, I use a very old hand blender.....any one will be fine. Minutes 1 and 2: wash the pesto leaves ( some one prefer to clean them with a cloth....to don't make them losing flavour....but I just wash them in the sink), mix the basil with the pine nuts, walnuts, parmesan, olive oil and a bit of salt in a pot or in your blender ( I use the plastic glass of my hand blender). Minute 3: take a good breath....look if anyone is sleeping in the house. Minute 4: Blend the mixture until the end of minute 5.....If you have obtained a green, soft, basil smelling sauce like this in this picture that I found in the web....you did it!!! [IMG]http://media.gustoblog.it/p/pes/pesto_genovese-586x390.jpg[/IMG] Now you have just to add it to your pasta after draining it, mix it and enjoy it!!:chef::chef::chef::chef::chef: 3 stars 1 reviews