"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Sorry - after I posted the note about using olive oil to saute the veggies, I just saw that there are a bunch of other replies. I will read them later - keep 'em coming - thanks so much!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
Head Chef

Oh come on.. we are FOODIES!

This is a challenge to be met, conquered and rewarded with a hearty

THAT WAS GOOD EATIN' HONEY...

So I say to all you naysayers and Ragu recommenders, in the best voice of
Alton Brown... let's make this sauce GOOD EATS!

And in that Iron Chef guy (who will be dancing with the stars)
ALLE CUSINE!

Keep it for ourselves, indeed! hmmph!

(All in good humor, folks! no offense intended)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Sorry about the joking Jen. I'd definatly use less to no honey and just use a sprinkly of gran. sugar. Up the garlic and if you puree the tomatoes, just do half. Then pour it into the rest. He just may not be used to chunks of tomato in which case you might want to do all of them. I too would ask him how he feels about you browning some hamburger and adding it to the mix. You wouldn't need to use the olive oil then cause you'd have the flavor from the meat. I personally don't use carrot but if you like them in there use them. Taste as you go and if you need more herbs by all means add a pinch at a time. You can always add more but, you can't take them out after you've put them in.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Head Chef

15 tomatoes strikes me as an awful lot for the amount of other ingredients. I'd reduce the tomatoes or increase everything else.

Also, the honey doesn't appeal to me. MAYBE a teaspoon up to 1 tablespoon of sugar, but only if the sauce seems a little too acidic when it's nearly done.

I second the notion of adding sauteed ground beef, or Italian sausage, and perhaps to 1 pound of sauteed mushrooms.

And a tablespoon of salt sounds like too much to me, but that will depend on how much sauce you have. I'd start with teaspoon.

Finally, when I make sauce like this, I simmer it a good 2 to 3 hours.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I do think you may need more fat. Browned up ground meat is a good idea too, or as I mentioned, a touch more olive oil. If you brown up the meat in a skillet, add a bit of the sauce to the skillet when the beef is brown to sort of deglaze the pan and get all the flavorful fond off the bottom of the pan. Then, pour the whole thing into the sauce. I also agree with the others that the honey probably wasn't necessary with the carrots - they both add sweetness. Next time I'd try carrots or a touch of regular sugar, just to tame the acidity. Mushrooms and/or red wine are also great ideas for flavor; I remember reading that tomatoes have flavor components that are only "unlocked" by alcohol. Another idea would be a bit of really good freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
Master Chef

Honey??? Sugar??? I don't add either to my homemade tomato sauces, & I don't buy commercial sauces that have sugar listed in the ingredients unless it's WAY at the bottom.

No wonder hubby doesn't like your sauce. Neither I or my husband would like it either - lol!!! And I don't mean that to infer that you're a crummy cook - just that we (& lots of folks) don't like "sweet" pasta sauce.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #17
Everymom

I think if you are going to try it again you should try a couple of options.
1. Oven roast the tomatoes and other veggies (onions and garlic especially) a bit before "saucing" them. Just cut the tomatoes in half and seed them if you like. Toss the tomatoes and other veggies you are roasting with some oil and put them on a cookie sheet. Roast til the skin looks like its peeling away from the cut edges. Pull 'em out, yank the skins off and then sauce as normal. This might eliminate the need for sugar at all, but I'm with those who say no to honey and yes to a bit of sugar. Brown if you have it.

2. Up the oil content. You can do that either by adding meat or sausage to the sauce or just by adding some oil to it.

3. Add alcohol. Doesn't need to be a lot, but a splash of wine will really perk up the flavours.

4. Just make salsa. LOL!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Ooh, roasting is a good idea. I make a pizza sauce with roasted tomatoes that I can actually make year round (even with crappy winter tomatoes) because roasting does good things with the flavor! It does taste a bit different though. Good, but different.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Sweetie.....as a bride of 62 years, I'll say, along with some others....keep the "good" stuff for yourself and buy DH some bottled stuff!!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #20
Head Chef

I have the same thing, hubbie like the jar sauce. so I make the good stuff and have that on my pasta and he has the jar stuff on his. But i do mix half and half when making stuff schells or lasagna. he doesn't know but say it taste great,

Tags
None