"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 08-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Homemade Spaghetti Sauce for the Anti-Tomato Man

Hi everyone, I am new here, thank you in advance for any suggestions!

I have an enormous pile of tomatos from my garden and decided to use some of them to make spaghetti sauce, using a simple recipe that I got from a friend. It simmered all afternoon and smelled so good. It tastes pretty good too, at least I think so.

Unfortunately my husband, who doesn't like tomatos in general but does like commercially prepared spaghetti sauce, doesn't like my sauce. He says it's "too tomato-ey." (To his credit, he did preface this comment with an "I'm really sorry, Sweetie.")

Does anyone have any recipes for spaghetti sauce that is made with fresh tomatos yet would appeal to those with "basic shelf-brand" (read: not expensive or gourmet) taste?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd keep the fresh stuff for myself and buy DH a jar of the store brand stuff for his pasta.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior Cook

What kinds of seasonings are you using? Fresh aromatics like onion and garlic and fresh herbs oregano or basil will give the sauce a more complex flavor and distract from the pure tomato-ness of the sauce. You could also add spices like a little paprika or some cayenne, or a bit of tomato paste, which imho makes things taste less "fresh" tomato-y and more "cooked" tomato-y.
I wonder too if there's a texture preference going on. Maybe your sauce has some chunks, but he likes things smooth? You could try smoothing it out with an immersion blender. HTH! :)
Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Head Chef

Yeah, post the recipe and let's take a look.

I am betting he wants more sweet and less recognizable chunks of tomato.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

The "Too-Tomato-ey" recipe

Thanks guys! I am sure it will help if I can reduce the size of any discernable vegetable pieces .

There is definitely a taste issue going on too though.

Here is the recipe:

Remove the skin from 12-15 tomatos

Saute:
2 green peppers
3 carrots
1-2 onions
3 cloves of garlic.

Put everything in a big pot and add:
4 t. basil
4 t. oregano
1 t. pepper
3 t. salt
4 t. honey

Stir and simmer to desired consistency.

It's fairly general. I think for this batch I used 15 tomatos, 2 small green peppers, 3 carrots, 2 small onions, and I had to use garlic powder instead of fresh (I think the conversion was 1/4 t. to 1 clove, so 3/4 t.)
Old 08-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Hmm. The thing that jumps out at me is that there's no olive oil. Without some fat pasta sauce tends to taste a bit like warm tomatoes. Why not try adding a few tablespoons of olive oil and see what happens? Under-salting will have the same effect, so make sure you're tasting the recipe and adjusting for seasonings. I'm not a pasta sauce expert yet, though, so hopefully some other suggestions are coming! Good luck. :)
Old 08-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Head Chef

More garlic. Less honey, more sugar. Puree till the tomatoes are smooth.
Is it salty enough? Jarred sauce is pretty salty, I think.
I agree with the oil suggestion.

Maybe all it needs is a pound or two of ground burger!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
I'd keep the fresh stuff for myself and buy DH a jar of the store brand stuff for his pasta.
OMG! This is just what I was going to say!
What could be better than making fresh spaghetti sauce with fresh out of the garden ing.? Honey, do not "dumb down" your recipe for that man. Even if he is your loving husband. Go buy him a jar of Ragu and you keep the good stuff for yourself. Freeze any left over and if you need help just call me and I'll be right over to help you finish any up!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Looks like it should have lots of great flavor. Brown some meat (hamburger or Italian sausage) and make a small saucepan of meat sauce using your base sauce. See if that is more to his liking. Also, some dry red wine will bring out more complex flavanoids.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Oh - I didn't mention that I sauted the other veggies in olive oil - but maybe add some more?
Thanks!

Tags
None