Homemade tomato sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just put them in boiling water until the skin tears, then remove them with a spider. It takes maybe 45-60 seconds.

I'm definately doing the roasted tomatoes next. I can't wait, and the dang things keep coming. -lol

I just put them in boiling water until the skin tears, then remove them with a spider. It takes maybe 45-60 seconds.

I'm definately doing the roasted tomatoes next. I can't wait, and the dang things keep coming. -lol

I doubt you meant this (although that is cool)......so what exactly is a "spider"? :huh:

Quite a few different methods here. My basic tomato sauce is very simple. Only has a few ingredients: garlic, San Marzano Tomatoes, EVOO, Fresh Thyme, Kosher salt. That's it. I'll add other things like onions, crushed red chilis, etc. later depending on what I'm making, but the base sauce remains very simple.

i'm on to vegetable juice today; tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery, green peppers, hot peppers, carrots, parsley, basil and i'm sure somethings elses.

I wash tomatoes, cut them up into the blender jar, along with the various other vegetables, blend, heat to boiling, then pressure can. I have put up over 100 pints and quarts of sauce so far, but I have 48 tomato plants that are just coming into full production. gotta go...........

Since my garden seemed to only grow weeds this year I had to stop at the farmers market and (ugh!) buy tomatoes. Fortunately I found a guy who was selling heirloom tomatoes. What I didn't use for sauce or salads I put in the dehydrator. Will use those later when the snow starts to fall. Sauce turned out well as did Hokie's game and the Wolverines game (heh! heh!).

My standard "Pantry" tomato sauce has been going through changes lately as well (namely simplification).

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Garlic
Pinch of Chile Flakes
Whole/Peeled Tomatoes & Tomato Paste
Dry White Wine
Fresh Basil
Salt/Sugar (as/if needed)

Roasting fresh tomatoes or roasting canned and reducing the can liquid in a separate pot are other options that I sometimes take advantage of.

Of course my favorite use is to simply toss with some pasta and hit with some parmesan. :pig:

love all recipes, but am a little weird. I grow yellow tomatoes and hobanero chili's. I do devain and seed my chili's. my sauce is XXX

A few weeks ago I had two HUGE bowls of tomatoes, so I roasted them on two large baking sheets with a drizzle of EVOO and S&P. When done, the skins slipped right off and I popped the whole tomatoes into two freezer containers.

Yesterday I made a big batch of my Italian Meat Sauce that I make once, sometimes twice a year. I defrosted one of the tomato containers and whirled it through the blender to use in my sauce. It was the best batch of Italian Meat Sauce that I have ever made!! Those carmelized tomatoes made a huge difference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom