"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Homemade tomato sauce

I've been inundated with romas, so I decided to take a crack at a homemade sauce.

15-20 Boiled, peeled roma tomatoes roughly chopped
1 finely chopped onion
1/2 c. whole basil leaves
4 cloves garlic, smashed
4 T olive oil
1 c red wine
S&P

Heat oil at a very low simmer and add the basil and garlic. Not to cook or brown, just to flavor the oil. After 15 minutes discard the basil and garlic, bring heat to med/hi and saute the onions until transparent. Again, not to brown.

Add the tomatoes and wine. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 90 minutes stirring occasionally. Once the tomatoes are somewhat broken down, I use a fine potato masher to break up any larger pieces.

Remove the lid and reduce for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Season with S & P.

How do you make yours?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I hear you on the romas...

the only thing I add to that is a bay leaf, and maybe a dash of oregano, a hot pepper, pinch of sugar, other than that, it's the same

Old 08-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Cook

Here's how I do it and if it sounds different it's because it is. On the Saturday before Labor Day, tomorrow in fact, I will find my old canning kettle and take it out to the garden. There I will fill it with tomatoes. Then I will wash the tomatoes and the kettle, chop the tomatoes and add them to the pot, skins, seeds and all. Next I will chop four large green bell peppers that have been de-seeded. I will add a couple of hot peppers too like Hungarian Wax or Cayenne or whatever is hanging around the garden. I will chop them seeds and all and add to the pot. Two large white onions finely chopped go in the pot next followed by a head of garlic where the clove have been appropriately smashed. I will throw in some oregano and basil and of course salt and fresh ground black pepper. Then I will add water to cover.

The next step involves me getting out the propane cooker that I use to heat oil for turkeys or wings or fish and set that up on the patio. (Otherwise my wife gets cranky if I make large quantities of tomato sauce inside. ) Then I set the pot on the burner and begin to simmer. I will drag out a TV and turn on the football game. I will drag out a few beers and let the simmering begin. About halftime after the stuff has begun to cook up I will run it all through a food mill. Then the resultant sauce will go back into the pot for final reduction. That's until about the end of the game, maybe longer. This is usually a six to ten beer event. When the sauce has sufficeintly cooled I will freeze it in zipper top storage bags in amounts suitable for single meal use. I hope this helps. If not thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Executive Chef

MJK, does the food mill remove the skins or just purees them?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I make my sauce pretty much the same way as you Jeekinz.

I just made a small quick sauce the other night to go over some Rotini for a quick and easy pasta salad type side dish. I had 4 Roma’s that needed to be used, so I halved them, coated with EVOO, salt, and pepper, and then roasted them in the toaster over for 30-45 minutes at 350. When they cooled, I peeled them and stuck them in a food processor with a splash of white wine.

Then, sautéed some onion in EVOO till translucent, added some minced garlic, basil, and oregano, and then the puréed Romas and a little more wine. Simmered covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered to desired thickness. Poured this over a dish filled with Rotini, black olives, crab meat, and parmesan cheese. Mixed well, and then covered it to keep it warm. It made a pretty good side dish to the steaks and broccoli we had.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I like the roasting idea.....I'll try that next with a couple red peppers and garlic.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I like the roasting idea.....I'll try that next with a couple red peppers and garlic.
With red peppers and garlic! Now that sounds good!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Cook

It removes most of them. I cut out the bad spots and stir the pot frequently and this will help the skin seperate. Then I will strain the liquid through the food mill. The solids left in the pot get mashed by the mill and pushed through so it doesn't remove them entirely but all the big lumps are gone.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
A number of years ago when I had a bumper crop of tomatoes, I developed a sauce recipe that seems to have hit the nail on the head for me. I've posted it under the "sauces" forum. Here's a link to it.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks

I've just picked way too many tomatoes, peppers, onions...the things that make sauce wonderful...basil, etc. I came across Jenkinz's recipe for sauce and it is now in the works! Thank you so much. I'll let you know the results but I'll tell you right now....my kitchen smells GREAT!
Red's Kitchen

Tags
None