Hot sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hot sauce.

Like there is just one. My goodness, I have about six on hand at all times. Salsa is another subject. I keep the Tabasco from New Iberia. I like the Jalapeno Tabasco for guacamole sauce. Do you have a Schlotzskys' sandwich shop in your area? Their sauce is fantastic in stew. There are so many that work so well with different foods. Like wine, you can't just have one.

Phil said:
Like there is just one. My goodness, I have about six on hand at all times. Salsa is another subject. I keep the Tabasco from New Iberia. I like the Jalapeno Tabasco for guacamole sauce. Do you have a Schlotzskys' sandwich shop in your area? Their sauce is fantastic in stew. There are so many that work so well with different foods. Like wine, you can't just have one.

Absolutely!!!! Love Schlotzskys.... but have never tried the sauce... did not know they had one... will have to check that out next time I am there. I usually get the kind folks behind the counter to hook me up with a handful of jalapenos! Yum!

Here's the recipe I use. It can be easily modified to suit your tastes. I have changed the heat level of the chili powder, replaced the jalapenos with other types of peppers, etc.

Hot Sauce

1 (6.00 ounces) can tomato paste

3 cups water

3 tablespoons vinegar

3 tablespoons finely minced canned jalapeno slices

1 tablespoon chili powder (Mexican, if you have it)

1 tablespoon dried onion flakes

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1. COMBINE the tomato paste and water in a saucepan.

2. Whisk until smooth.

3. ADD the remaining ingreadients to the tomato mixture.

4. Heat over medium/high heat until it begins to boil.

5. Continue to cook, stirring often, for 4 to 5 minutes.

6. Remove from heat.

7. When sauce has cooled, pour into a glass airtight container and refrigerate.

Stores well in the refrigerator.

Last edited:
Young lady....

Absolutely!!!! Love Schlotzskys.... but have never tried the sauce... did not know they had one... will have to check that out next time I am there. I usually get the kind folks behind the counter to hook me up with a handful of jalapenos! Yum!__________________
Sattie :ermm:
stand in the corner! They sell the hot sauce, among other things. And, it really spices up their sandwich, too. You'll love the stuff, I garrontee.

I love hot sauce, but I'm a bigger fan of other types than the traditional... what should we call them... Louisana hot sauces? If I'm taking that route... Frank's for me. I hate Tobasco, a lot. Their jalapeno and chipotle sauces are great though. Cholula is awesome, and goes well with anything mexican or anything for that matter. Sriracha chile sauce is grand... I've only known about it for a month and I can't get enough of it (pretty warm though).

Billdolfski said:
I love hot sauce, but I'm a bigger fan of other types than the traditional... what should we call them... Louisana hot sauces? If I'm taking that route... Frank's for me. I hate Tobasco, a lot. Their jalapeno and chipotle sauces are great though. Cholula is awesome, and goes well with anything mexican or anything for that matter. Sriracha chile sauce is grand... I've only known about it for a month and I can't get enough of it (pretty warm though).

Got another fire mouth????

Cholula has a cloudy taste to me -- almost like they added cornstarch to it. I really don't like it. I looked on the label and it has "edible food stabilizer" added. Not sure if that's what i don't care for...

I prefer Crystal brand for a Lousinana-style sauce. We buy it in quart bottles. Iguana, Jump Up and Kiss Me and Hot Babe/Buns are good, too. So is Melinda's. I must have 25 different bottles of hot sauce in the fridge. ANd go through Sriracha like water.

My real favorite is my own homemade habarnero sauce.

Recently have become addicted to Manis Pedas, a sort of combo of ketchup and Sriracha -- yummy!

I use Tabasco [ the ordinary old variety] in about any thing that uses cheddar as it really hypes the cheddar flavor; try about 6 squirts per pound of cheese in your next mac and cheese-add it as you are adding the cheese to the roux. For use on eggs and just as a flavoring on what ever hits my fancy, I use Trappey's Louisiana Hot Sauce. It has a lot of good pepper flavor without that liquid fire. I find I do not like Hot for Hot's sake.Another favorite at our place is a Thai sauce called Plig Nam Pla; which we make. 1/4 cup of Thai bird chilies sliced across into about 1/8 inch rings- keep the seeds in about the juice of 1/2 a lime -like ~3 Tsp About a 3/8 Cup of Thai fish sauce 1 tsp of sugar Combine and spoon on what ever you want this sort of flavor kick on. It makes dull bland Pad Thai so much better.

Last edited:
I've tried quite a number of hot sauces. I like my sauce to have lots of pepper flavor. I don't go hot for hot's sake. Tobasco, when I first tried it, lit me up like a roman candle. Now I eat it like ketchup, and on all kinds of things. Like was said previously, there's is no better way to add flavor than with your favorite hot sauce.

What's the hottest that I've tried, well, it was supposed to be this stuff called - Delerium Sauce. But by my taste buds, the hottest was Jamaican Hellfire Sauce, red. Even now, that sauce lights me on fire. But it has a very good taste. The problem is that it comes triple strength. You're supposed to dilute it with 2 parts water and one part vinager. I use it full strength, but not very much.

As for my heat tolerence, I like it to clear my sinuses, and make me sweat just a bit, and yeh, I'm from about as far North in the continental U.S. as you can get.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Favorite Hot Sauce Sriracha at Benriner.com

HI,

I love Sriracha and I found it, with free shipping, at Benriner.com.

They have the one with the rooster on the bottle; it is full of chili peppers and garlic and has a taste that blends with all kinds of foods. It is good to dip in or to mix in ketchup or to throw in your stir fry or to top your sandwiches.

I sent them an email and they told me they will soon be carrying some of the additional flavored Srirachas, such as lemongrass Sriracha; I have been searching for that one for a long time. I tasted it once and found it to be more rounded in flavor but it still had that nice bite.

I'll let you know when I get my lemongrass one and if there are any other flavors that show up.

Also, there are other brands from Thailand with a goose on the bottle and there is even a sweet/hot sauce.

Enjoy!!

My wife likes everything spicy, i do not. But thru the years i got more tolerant and now like to add some of Tobasco to most of my soups and meat dishes. Interestigly how our taste intermingle (is it a word?) I like salt, she did not, but now she adds salt to her food.

I like hot sauce on pretty much everything. Eggs, Pizza. Its also really good if you put some in melted cheese as a chip dip.

I like to put Pace Medium salsa on my eggs and omelettes. There was a time when I would put Tabasco on many things. However, nowadays, I find the vinegar taste of Tabasco to be a turnoff.

My exec. chef makes a yearly batch of hot sauce, about 10 gallons or so, at work. No vinegar. He buys cases of several different kinds of peppers, jalapenoes, banana, and who knows what else. He slices them, and roasts them with sliced onions and whole garlic cloves. Then he simmers them for a few hours to extract all the flavors. I'm not sure if he adds tomato sauce or not. Finally, he purees the sauce. Since there's no vinegar, the sauce has to be frozen. We'll pull one out and thaw it as we need it. The kitchen staff and wait staff are really the only ones that use the stuff, on some of our employee meals. One of the cooks in my department is Korean, and she puts the stuff on anything and everything. We really like to use it for hot wings. I'm not really a hot wing person, but with my chef's sauce, I'll down a dozen of them in short order.

What's really interesting, is that several months ago, in a cleanout / reorganiztion of the walkin freezer, a container of the chef's hot sauce surfaced, dated 2002! Vintage! That was also the year of his "Nuclear" hot sauce, as he got some peppers that would fiery hot.

I love all kinds of hot sauce, I usually keep Tabasco, Lousiana Hot Sauce, Cholula, and some asian hot sauces in stock at all times so I can use them according to what I'm eating. I tend to put them on pizza, chicken, chinese food, mexican food, and anything else I can get away with. It's funny cuz while I'm putting hot sauce on my food my boyfriend is putting ketchup on his, even on his burritos and in his spaghetti.

I don't make my own, but put the different commercial varieties I buy on anything & everything. From breakfast eggs to casseroles to pasta to meatloaf, etc., etc., etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom