"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Old 03-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #31
Senior Cook
I use Tabasco [ the ordinary old variety] in about any thing that uses cheddar as it really hypes the cheddar flavor; try about 6 squirts per pound of cheese in your next mac and cheese-add it as you are adding the cheese to the roux. For use on eggs and just as a flavoring on what ever hits my fancy, I use Trappey's Louisiana Hot Sauce. It has a lot of good pepper flavor without that liquid fire. I find I do not like Hot for Hot's sake.Another favorite at our place is a Thai sauce called Plig Nam Pla; which we make. 1/4 cup of Thai bird chilies sliced across into about 1/8 inch rings- keep the seeds in about the juice of 1/2 a lime -like ~3 Tsp About a 3/8 Cup of Thai fish sauce 1 tsp of sugar Combine and spoon on what ever you want this sort of flavor kick on. It makes dull bland Pad Thai so much better.

May you eat well,
Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #32
Master Chef
I've tried quite a number of hot sauces. I like my sauce to have lots of pepper flavor. I don't go hot for hot's sake. Tobasco, when I first tried it, lit me up like a roman candle. Now I eat it like ketchup, and on all kinds of things. Like was said previously, there's is no better way to add flavor than with your favorite hot sauce.

What's the hottest that I've tried, well, it was supposed to be this stuff called - Delerium Sauce. But by my taste buds, the hottest was Jamaican Hellfire Sauce, red. Even now, that sauce lights me on fire. But it has a very good taste. The problem is that it comes triple strength. You're supposed to dilute it with 2 parts water and one part vinager. I use it full strength, but not very much.

As for my heat tolerence, I like it to clear my sinuses, and make me sweat just a bit, and yeh, I'm from about as far North in the continental U.S. as you can get.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #33
Master Chef
Heck yea!!!!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #34
Head Chef
My favorite is Daves Hot Sauce. Use on hot wings, scrambled eggs, smoked meats, chili, meats done in the oven, several dips.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #35
Assistant Cook
Favorite Hot Sauce Sriracha at Benriner.com

I love Sriracha and I found it, with free shipping, at Benriner.com.

They have the one with the rooster on the bottle; it is full of chili peppers and garlic and has a taste that blends with all kinds of foods. It is good to dip in or to mix in ketchup or to throw in your stir fry or to top your sandwiches.

I sent them an email and they told me they will soon be carrying some of the additional flavored Srirachas, such as lemongrass Sriracha; I have been searching for that one for a long time. I tasted it once and found it to be more rounded in flavor but it still had that nice bite.

I'll let you know when I get my lemongrass one and if there are any other flavors that show up.

Also, there are other brands from Thailand with a goose on the bottle and there is even a sweet/hot sauce.

milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #36
Master Chef
My wife likes everything spicy, i do not. But thru the years i got more tolerant and now like to add some of Tobasco to most of my soups and meat dishes. Interestigly how our taste intermingle (is it a word?) I like salt, she did not, but now she adds salt to her food.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #37
I like hot sauce on pretty much everything. Eggs, Pizza. Its also really good if you put some in melted cheese as a chip dip.
Whole Wheat Cookbook Blog
Ripliancum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #38
Executive Chef
I like to put Pace Medium salsa on my eggs and omelettes. There was a time when I would put Tabasco on many things. However, nowadays, I find the vinegar taste of Tabasco to be a turnoff.

My exec. chef makes a yearly batch of hot sauce, about 10 gallons or so, at work. No vinegar. He buys cases of several different kinds of peppers, jalapenoes, banana, and who knows what else. He slices them, and roasts them with sliced onions and whole garlic cloves. Then he simmers them for a few hours to extract all the flavors. I'm not sure if he adds tomato sauce or not. Finally, he purees the sauce. Since there's no vinegar, the sauce has to be frozen. We'll pull one out and thaw it as we need it. The kitchen staff and wait staff are really the only ones that use the stuff, on some of our employee meals. One of the cooks in my department is Korean, and she puts the stuff on anything and everything. We really like to use it for hot wings. I'm not really a hot wing person, but with my chef's sauce, I'll down a dozen of them in short order.

What's really interesting, is that several months ago, in a cleanout / reorganiztion of the walkin freezer, a container of the chef's hot sauce surfaced, dated 2002! Vintage! That was also the year of his "Nuclear" hot sauce, as he got some peppers that would fiery hot.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #39
I love all kinds of hot sauce, I usually keep Tabasco, Lousiana Hot Sauce, Cholula, and some asian hot sauces in stock at all times so I can use them according to what I'm eating. I tend to put them on pizza, chicken, chinese food, mexican food, and anything else I can get away with. It's funny cuz while I'm putting hot sauce on my food my boyfriend is putting ketchup on his, even on his burritos and in his spaghetti.
Confucius-"Everyone eats and drinks; yet only few appreciate the taste of food"
Sugar N' Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #40
Master Chef
I don't make my own, but put the different commercial varieties I buy on anything & everything. From breakfast eggs to casseroles to pasta to meatloaf, etc., etc., etc.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote