Hot Sauce, new batch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
39817-albums933-picture5892.jpg

Fancy, fancy. Looks nice. Do you have special equipment to close the bottles? Obviously you do. Kind of stupid question. But what is it? What kind of equipment?

Glad this was brought up.
First. Did you make that hot sauce or did you buy it?

I will have some very hot peppers come summer. I planted some Ghost chili seeds and I have a few habanero plants to put in the garden along with several other varieties.
There is no way I can eat them all. So I have to think about them now, before I have to do something with them.
Hot sauce seems like an excellent idea, and I think it would make fine small Christmas gifts for my neighbors and friends.

So if you made this hot sauce, please post your recipe.

I am also considering drying the peppers. Should I use my dehydrator or just hang them and allow them to dry slowly?

I will have some very hot peppers come summer. I planted some Ghost chili seeds and I have a few habanero plants to put in the garden along with several other varieties.
There is no way I can eat them all. So I have to think about them now, before I have to do something with them.
Hot sauce seems like an excellent idea, and I think it would make fine small Christmas gifts for my neighbors and friends.

I am also considering drying the peppers. Should I use my dehydrator or just hang them and allow them to dry slowly?

Remember, if you bottle your own hot sauce, the water bath canning method is insufficient to make them safe, unless there is significant acidity, such as vinegar added to the sauce, which is why so many commercial hot sauces are so vinegary. Me, I use a pressure canner so that I don't have to add vinegar.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm sure S&P made the sauce. Looks fantastic!

As far as drying, it's easiest to just hang the peppers and let them dry natually. I have very good results doing this if they're small peppers. You can string them, or pull up the whole plant and just hang that.

I make my own using habanaro's. You can also make pepper jelly if you have canning equip. I'm sorry but, I keep the recipe to myself. There are lots of recipes on the net to suit every taste. I buy my peppers, as I don't have room to grow them. I use fresh peppers for my hot sauce, although I have hung them to dry to use on rubs and sauce. Either way they don't loose the heat. A dehydrator is fine too. Then through a spice grinder. With fresh peppers I par boil them in vinegar and run them through a food strainer to separate the seeds and skins.

I make my own using habanaro's. You can also make pepper jelly if you have canning equip. I'm sorry but, I keep the recipe to myself. There are lots of recipes on the net to suit every taste. I buy my peppers, as I don't have room to grow them. I use fresh peppers for my hot sauce, although I have hung them to dry to use on rubs and sauce. Either way they don't loose the heat. A dehydrator is fine too. Then through a spice grinder. With fresh peppers I par boil them in vinegar and run them through a food strainer to separate the seeds and skins.

I'm glad your keeping your secrets to yourself.
Easy name to remember. I'll be looking for them in the specialty shopps.
Great job! :yum:

Thats fine on the recipe. My favorite bottle hot sauce is nothing more than peppers, vinegar and some salt.
I am certain I could make it without an ingredient list is what I mean. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chief. Thanks once again. It will be a few months before I am ready to do anything with fresh or dried peppers.
I do not have a canning machine and nor do I know how to can, even though I have tried before.
I just know that I will have way more than I can use and I would like to find a way to preserve them.
My wife laughs at me because we can buy two(2) extra big bottles of Franks hot sauce at Costco for less than $8.
They also have the giant bottle of Tabasco sauce for less than two pepper plants cost. She thinks I'm nuts for doing all this work when I can just open a bottle. We have both in stock here right now.

Here's a very good article on preserving hot sauce. By "canning machine," do you mean a pressure canner? You don't necessarily need one for canning, but the article includes another method that might work for you: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29501-making-hot-sauce-101/

You can freeze peppers whole, then thaw them to use in recipes; they get soft, so they wouldn't work for something like ABTs but they're fine for a sauces, etc.

I've heard that comment too. Just remind her it's about the journey, not the destination.

She says the same thing about the garden. Just because they are selling tomato's on every corner during the summer, does not mean I should not grow some too!

Here's a very good article on preserving hot sauce. By "canning machine," do you mean a pressure canner? You don't necessarily need one for canning, but the article includes another method that might work for you: Making Hot Sauce 101 - Hot Sauce Making - The Hot Pepper

You can freeze peppers whole, then thaw them to use in recipes; they get soft, so they wouldn't work for something like ABTs but they're fine for a sauces, etc.

Thanks GG. I have attempted to can using a boiling pot of water before, but I was not certain they were preserved correctly.
I will check out the link!

If my memory is still intact, didn't you make some way back when and post the pictures here? The second I saw this batch, the label looked very familiar to me. I remember thinking that the name was so simple, how could anyone ever forget it. :angel:

If my memory is still intact, didn't you make some way back when and post the pictures here? The second I saw this batch, the label looked very familiar to me. I remember thinking that the name was so simple, how could anyone ever forget it. :angel:

Yes Addie, I've been making the sauce for about a year now.

Back
Top Bottom