"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 11-05-2002, 05:27 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Tomato sauce

You might want to try raising the heat a little and cooking the sauce for just one day. Instead of using tomato sauce, try unsing tomato paste it makes the spaghetti sauce thicker. Also did you check for any bad spots on your tomatoes and remove them before blanching and peeling? You amy also want to saute your vegetables before you add them to the sauce it increases their flavor and takes some of the bitterness out of the peppers.

One other thing I wouldn't use baking soda under any circumstances; it destroys all the vitamins in the vegetables your cooking, not just the tomatoes.

I hope this helps.:)

Old 11-05-2002, 05:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanks for your tips Regina. It's good to see you back here again! That is definately a good tip about the baking soda. I didn't know that.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:11 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Bitter tomato sauce

having read all the threads, I can only assume that the tomatoes used were not sun-ripe enough. This makes them acid. You really need fresh tomatoes bathed and baked in sunlight in order to get the right sugar balance in the fruit - just like grapes. Then, there are certain varieties of tomato that are higher in sugar, lower in juice, and altogether better for cooking.

I have never heard of using baking soda with tomatoes. Has anyone thought of using *fructose* instead of plain sugar?

Anyway, for what it's worth, my recipe for tomato sauce for spaghetti or other forms of pasta is:

There are two versions! The quick one, and the long one.

Briefly, the quick one involves: Onion, Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil(usually abbreviated as EVOO), FRESH sweet basil - none of your dried stuff - and 2 cans of Italian tomatoes. Soften up the first lot of ingredients and then add the tomatoes, and reduce until you have a sauce consistency. Make sure that the pasta is really well drained. Add back to the pan in which it was cooked. Add in the tomato sauce and bring to the boil again, ensuring that the pasta does not stick. Then serve, with fresh sweet basil leaves sprinkled over. No cheese.

Version two. Take a piece of braising beef ( small will do), a small piece of veal and a small piece of pork. Keep whole. Sweat off: onion, garlic, 1/2 stick celery, 1/2 carrot, fresh parsley and one rasher of bacon, all finely chopped in the food processor. Use EVOO to do this. Add the meat and brown all over. Add white wine to taste, turn up the heat to evaporate off the alcohol, and reduce the liquids. Then add the tomatoes, enough to cover well all the meat. Simmer for three hoursat a low heat. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Sieve the sauce for the pasta, and reserve the meat for the second course, with mashed potatoes. Cheese on the pasta allowed in this case.

This version is my absolute favourite - I could eat it forever!!
Old 11-15-2002, 04:30 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OMG Dianne,

The first recipe is a lot like I use but the second - WOW - sounds devinely sinful!!!!!

Your mention to mashed potatoes remind me (and I still do this today) is when I was little my mother would always serve chili over mashed potatoes. You have got to try it like that just one time. It works especially nice when unexpected people drop over to stretch that pot of chili!!!! LOL (speaking from experience, of course :D )

Thanks for both those recipes.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 01:16 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Bitter tomato sauce

Hi there Kitchenelf!!

Thanks for the post. It's good to hear from you. Glad you liked the second recipe - it is really the *classic* tomato sauce for pasta, and you can do it in a slow cooker and let it do all day. The remaining meat is also very good in meatloaf, again with mashed potatoes.

I shall certainly do Chili with mashed potatoes, as you suggest. I have a recipe for chili, but am not sure how genuine it is - you know how it is, with travel, these recipes tend to become corrupted!!! Could you post me your recipe? Then I will do it, and will know really what your mother made for you that you remember so fondly:)
Old 11-16-2002, 08:45 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Bitter Tomato Sauce

Dianne,

Thanks for the recipes. The second one really sounds great. I'll try it sometime fairly soon. It should make a great Friday night dinner for my husband and I. I love meals I can cook all day in the crock pot and and eat when we get home. Question. If veal isn't available what would be a good substitute?
Old 11-21-2002, 12:28 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Bitter Tomatoe Sauce

Slow tomato sauce: if veal isn't available, leave it out!, but put a little extra pork in instead. Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you - we've been setting up a new computer so I've been offline for a few days!

I like to serve the 'slow' tomato sauce with fine spaghetti (spaghettini), not thick spaghetti. Somehow it tastes better:D

Love

Dianne
Old 11-21-2002, 06:21 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Bitter Tomato SAuce

>>Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you - we've been setting up a new computer so I've been offline for a few days! <<

No problem. I understand.

The idea of serving it with fine spaghetti sounds good. It should also be good with angel hair pasta.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:20 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

bitter tomato sauce

Hello again!!!:D

Angel hair spaghetti may be a bit tooooo fine - but anyway, if you think it could be good, try it and let me know the results

ciaoooissimo

dianne
Old 11-27-2002, 06:25 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Bitter Tomato Sauce.

I will. Sometime soon after we've recovered from Thanksgiving.

Tags
None