"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 10-27-2002, 01:00 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How can I prevent bitter tomato sauce?

I have made spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes from my garden. I peeled the tomatoes after blanching and put them in pot to cook down. Added garlic, italian seasoning, onions, canned tomato sauce, hot italian sausage, hamburger and red peppers. I like to let my sauce simmer for a couple days. This is the first time I have done the fresh tomato thing and the sauce is bitter, it almost has a effervescent taste to me. What can I do to fix it? I have not had a bitter problem before when cooking for a long time and slowly.
Can anyone help? Thank You

Old 10-27-2002, 06:19 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
ewok,

Thanks for stopping by discusscooking. I have never made tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes so I am only going to be able to guess. You may need to add a little sugar. I'm sorry I can't help you but maybe someone who has done this with fresh tomatoes can help.

I never use fresh tomatoes for tomato sauce because I think they lack a certain flavor - LOL, it's probably preservatives!

Keep checking back for some answers.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 06:14 PM   #3
Cook

Did you ever try adding some sweet basil, oregano and chives? If you do, sorry...
Old 10-28-2002, 08:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi starrleicht,

I think when I did try to make it one time (way back when!!!) with fresh tomatoes I just didn't have really good tomatoes. Knowing me it was probably January or something like that

I'll have to try again next summer when all my gardening friends have too many again.

I just wish I knew how to answer the above question :(

Old 10-28-2002, 11:22 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Bitter Tomatoe Sauce

:confused: I had read on another cooking site that baking soda works. Well, I tried a little bit with a small bowl out of the batch. IT WORKED But when I tried it on the whole batch, I put in a little bit, it was better but not quite enough. So I put some more in Unfortunately, I either put too much in or not sure what happened but it got a really funny taste. Not sure what was wrong but it was ruined.:( I usually use sugar but wanted to find some other way, because I am sure there is enough sugar in our diets already!
Old 10-29-2002, 12:18 AM   #6
Senior Cook

It may be that the herbs are the culprit - some of them tend to get bitter with long cooking. If this were my batch of sauce, I'd ladle out a cup or so and experiment: a bit of lemon juice, taste; some dried basil, rubbed almost to a powder in the palm of my hand, taste; oregano ditto, taste; you get the idea. When I got it to where I wanted it, I'd do likewise with the whole batch. Oh - I'd also probably add a dab or so of tomato paste to the experiment. Hair of the dog department I guess. Anyway, this is how I slog my way out of my own culinary surprises.:p

Hope this helps!
Old 10-29-2002, 08:41 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

ewokroub - I have overdone baking soda before and it definately leaves a bad taste in the food - and I have thrown out an entire pot of spaghetti sauce before :(

Next time you'll be better prepared. Thanks for stopping by and come back and visit often.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:55 PM   #8
Senior Cook

O yeah - that baking soda can really do a number on the ol' taste buds. I've made a few batches of biscuits that carried a faint but distinct flavor of soap, owing to too much of the stuff. I just put more pepper in the gravy and served 'em anyway . . .

oh - about soda ruining spag sauce: it just occurred to me that soda works only in the presence of acid, so i wonder if too much soda can be counteracted by adding some vinegar or lemon juice . . .

Apropos of nothing in particular: I made a batch of hot-and-sour soup tonight, one of those clean-out-the-fridge affairs, with some chicken base and some veg base added . . . it wasn't bad, all things considered . . . especially after I decided to add half a green tomato cut into suitable sizes . . . Man. The things one concocts when living alone and reluctant to do any real cooking!!
Old 10-30-2002, 05:19 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Soda overdone spoils Spag sauce

I wish I would have thought about the fact that my when testing the water in my aquarium for PH balance there is a solution for PH Up and PH Down! Like Leigh said about counteracting the acid with soda that possibly adding more acid would count- eract the soda! :confused: BUT (there always seems to be a but) I wonder if that might have enhanced some of the chemical-like taste that too much soda seems to give!

I do know that after all the work to making the fresh tomato spag sauce, in this case, was definitely NOT worth it! I think if I have a bumper crop of tomatoes again, I might do well to learn to can them and that might take care of the acid problem, otherwise....Hunt's Whole Tomatoes in the vegetable aisle are looking pretty darn good and as close to "Fresh Homemade" sauce that I will ever need to be!!!!:D
Old 10-30-2002, 11:58 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

mmmmmmmmmmm... kind of like when I add too much salt to my salsa and conteract it with more lime juice. That's one thing I don't like about my banana bread sometimes - somehow the baking powder collects on the bottom and it gives it that bitter taste.

I just need to use self-rising instead I guess. Being the non-baker that I am, that is what I would do, isn't it? Take out the salt and baking powder and just use the same amount of self-rising as all-purpose?

Tags
None