How can I reduce acid in tomato sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Add the smallest amount of baking soda. I'm talking about a pinch. There will be a little foaming. Stir it in and check for acidity. Repeat with a LITTLE more until you get it where you want it.

Some recommend adding sugar but that does not reduce the acidity, it only masks it and will change the taste of the sauce.

I need to try the baking soda idea.

I don't recommend sugar either. When I'm in a rush I add a couple pats of butter toward the end of cooking. One pat at a time and check for taste.

Add the smallest amount of baking soda. I'm talking about a pinch. There will be a little foaming. Stir it in and check for acidity. Repeat with a LITTLE more until you get it where you want it.

Some recommend adding sugar but that does not reduce the acidity, it only masks it and will change the taste of the sauce.

I will have to try that, hubby can't take acidic foods.

My mother told me to put a whole potato in the sauce while cooking it. I have always done it, it has always worked. I remove the potato before serving. I usually eat it.

remove acid from tomatoe sauce

what do the italians use besides starting with the best tomatoes?

Besides the remedies mentioned, longer cooking will reduce any acidity. San Marzanos are supposed to be the best tomato available, but I have not had them in raw form yet.

Back
Top Bottom