How long does pesto last after being made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im planning on making pesto tomorrow, due to the amount of fresh basil I've got on hand.

How long would it last after being refrigerated?
Is there a better way to store it to make it last longer ?

Thanks

If you want to be super safe, limit refrigerator storage to not much more than four days. The reason is the unlikely but potentially devastating situation in which botulinum bacteria were carried into the pesto via the raw herbs. Botulinum is soil borne so is a risk with all that grows in soil. It is a hazard, because it grows in an environment free of oxygen, which the oil provided. The toxin thrown off by the bacteria is lethal. Some refrigerators are not set cold enough to significantly retard growth.

The good news is that botulism is relatively rare, but it has occurred from such diverse causes a baked potatoes sealed in foil and kept at room temperature and prison hooch. (Remember that it's the toxin that's lethal, not the bacteria itself.)

Freezing is safe for long-term storage. When I make batches of pesto from a harvest of basil, I store it in individual serving-size freezer containers. But remember that it should still be thawed under refrigeration or quick-thawed, rather than being left for hours at room temperature.

I freeze it in ice cube trays. That way I can pull out as much or as little as I need. I do top each cube with a bit of EVOO before freezing and cover with film wrap, bag it within a day so as not to get freezer burn.

Im planning on making pesto tomorrow, due to the amount of fresh basil I've got on hand.

How long would it last after being refrigerated?
Is there a better way to store it to make it last longer ?

Thanks
You can freeze it but not for an awfully long time - say up to a month. Mine never lasts that long :).

When I have to store it for 2-3 days in the fridge I float a layer of oil on top to keep the air away from the pesto. It keeps it fresher that way. (I do that with the stuff that I buy in jars as well.)

Last edited:
I have friends who freeze it in zipper bags. Then they freeze it flat. When they need some, they break off a piece/pieces and reseal the bag.

When I make mine, I store it in smaller jars. Keep one on hand. Rest goes into freezer. Seems to work for us.

I freeze it in little jars or ice cube trays topped with a bit of olive oil. Also, it seems to last longer and taste fresher if you just freeze the basil paste, and add the nuts and cheese later. I've done it both with and without.

I freeze it in little jars or ice cube trays topped with a bit of olive oil. Also, it seems to last longer and taste fresher if you just freeze the basil paste, and add the nuts and cheese later. I've done it both with and without.
That does sound like it would work better.

I have never made or eaten pesto. On tv I have seen people use it as a sauce for pasta. What else do you guys do with it?

I have never made or eaten pesto. On tv I have seen people use it as a sauce for pasta. What else do you guys do with it?
I use it with grilled chicken. I also use it in place of mayo in wraps. I toss a cube or two in chicken noodle soup. I use it in place of the tomato sauce on pizza.

You don't know what you're missing, Carol. If you like basil, you'll LOVE pesto :)

I freeze some and put 1/4 cup or so in soups and stews during the winter. You can use it instead of basil leaves on caprese salad, with fresh sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. I like to put it on bruschetta - toast slices of baguette, rub with cut garlic, spread with pesto, and top with diced tomatoes and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Use it as a seasoning to finish grilled or sautéed vegetables - toss them in pesto thinned with a little olive oil. Add oil and vinegar to make salad dressing. I also use it as a spread on wraps with chicken and veggies.

Here are some more ideas: 10 Ways to Use Pesto Besides Pasta - Tips from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

Last edited:
Never knew it could be frozen/ reused successfully. I assumed the consistency would be affected

I've frozen pesto for years and I don't believe it is as good as just made fresh. I can definitely tell the difference, however, when it's freezing outside in February, I promise, your family won't complain about the quality of the pesto, just that it tastes wonderful!

Besides pasta, we use it on freshly made bread, and on regular or pannini sandwiches. It's fabulous.

When our dc was a baby, we were eating pesto and dc was sitting on my lap. They reached out and grabbed my penne and pesto off my fork and put in in their mouth! My husband and I were like, "Can babies eat pesto?":LOL: Well it is still our dc's favourite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom