"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to spice up sauce in a jar?

Ok so I'm doing a simple curry tonight with sharwoods korma sauce (I like hotter but my family don't like anything past mild). I opened the jar to test it and the sauce tastes dead, just really sweet coconut flavour with no life in it.

I want to know if theres any fresh ingredients I can add to it to make it come alive a bit. I don't mean necessarily make it hotter (although a little bit won't matter), just make it a bit more spicier.

I have loads of indian spices, garlic, onion... no cream unfortunately (but full fat milk is this can be used)

Any suggestions much appreciated

Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I would use a curry paste...there are many. Fresh? Garlic, lemon grass, coriander seed, cumin, cardomon, ground bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, lime juice. HTH!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Uncle Bob, ill give those suggestions a try.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexive View Post
Ok so I'm doing a simple curry tonight with sharwoods korma sauce (I like hotter but my family don't like anything past mild). I opened the jar to test it and the sauce tastes dead, just really sweet coconut flavour with no life in it.

I want to know if theres any fresh ingredients I can add to it to make it come alive a bit. I don't mean necessarily make it hotter (although a little bit won't matter), just make it a bit more spicier.

I have loads of indian spices, garlic, onion... no cream unfortunately (but full fat milk is this can be used)

Any suggestions much appreciated
Hi Reflexive,
If you like curries and South East Asian food then what you need to do is join the BBC Messageboard for Food Chat and access all the recipes posted by Mamta as these are original recipes using authentic spicing. It may mean buying individual spices, but buy in small quantities at first.

Just to clarify, I do not know Mamta. I am not related to him/her but, having been a member of the BBC Food Messageboard for some time now, know the high esteeme in which his/her recipes are held by posters in the UK and Europe. Join the messageboard and posters will be able to direct you to the appropriate site for gorgeous, delicious recipes which you can make and enjoy.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc
Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

If fresh limes are available in your area (in Florida they grow on trees... literally) I would take some of the leaves and let them simmer in the sauce while it cooks. Don't eat them though!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Why not eat the leaves? I have a Kaffir lime tree and the leaves are very tasty in stir frys.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
Executive Chef

lemon often perks up a dull curry.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
Sous Chef

The first thing that came to my mind was lime juice.

Tags
None