"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria View Post
Yes, i add half cup of oilve oil/canola oil to the water while boiling the pasta and my pasta doesnt lump up after i drain it coz of the oil..

I had never heard of doing that. I've always cooked the pasta when the sauce is ready. Then you have to reheat the pasta before you serve it, right? What is the benefit if cooking it first?

Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
Executive Chef

For a quick result we have a thing we called corn flour over here which is a thickener. Mix a teaspoon with a tablespoon of water, mix to a paste and add to your sauce. I have also been known, in desperation to add gravy granules or instant soup to thicken.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Yes, i add half cup of oilve oil/canola oil to the water while boiling the pasta and my pasta doesnt lump up after i drain it coz of the oil..
That's a LOT of oil!

Pasta won't clump if you cook it properly in lots of boiling water. Oil will prevent the sauce from adhering to the pasta, too.

And cooking longer will make a sauce thicken -- that's simple physics.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
Cook

Well, to explain you all the procedure i make the pasta is, i stir fry the veggies, chicken, prawns, whatever i'm adding to the pasta, and at the sametime on a different stove i boil the pasta. Both cook at the same time. I then drain the pasta, reserve the water, add 1 or 2 cups of the reserved pasta water to the sauce, add powdered chicken stock, and then add the boiled reserved pasta to the sauce, cook it for 2 minutes, till mixed throughly, and serve it hot !! I never add cornflour. The pasta water has enough gluten to thicken the sauce :-)
maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Well, to explain you all the procedure i make the pasta is, i stir fry the veggies, chicken, prawns, whatever i'm adding to the pasta, and at the sametime on a different stove i boil the pasta. Both cook at the same time. I then drain the pasta, reserve the water, add 1 or 2 cups of the reserved pasta water to the sauce, add powdered chicken stock, and then add the boiled reserved pasta to the sauce, cook it for 2 minutes, till mixed throughly, and serve it hot !! I never add cornflour. The pasta water has enough gluten to thicken the sauce :-)

Adding 1-2 cups of cooking water to the OP's tomato sauce will do nothing but make it incredibly watery and ruined. There is nowhere near enough starch dissolved in it to thicken it.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
Cook

Well, it will thicken !! try it and see it for yourselves once :-) I have been doing it for years.
And by 1 or 2 cups, i mean it depends on the amount of pasta you are cooking, if its 800 gms you need to add 1 or 2 cups, if its less, you can go by less than 1 cup too, it all depends. And !! You need to cook the pasta, to thicken it once you add the pasta water to it. You can also add tomato paste along, and cornflour is the best thickener as said, but i feel i alters with the taste.
maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It's difficult for sauce to adhere to oily pasta, and this method adds a lot of extra fat and calories to the dish. I time the cooking of my pasta and sauce so the sauce is done first and waiting for the pasta. It can continue to simmer, covered, until I'm ready to serve.

At this point, you could add some pasta water to the sauce before draining the pasta and simmer it a little longer, uncovered, while you drain the pasta and put it in the serving dish, then pour the sauce over the pasta to serve. No need to mix it together; it will get mixed as it's served up at the table. HTH.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
I usually just make a basic sauce. Cook up some onions and garlic. throw in a can of whole tomatoes (crushed by hand)....dab of wine, some oregano.

DH says its rather thin. How can I thicken it up? and how much?
Try using a can of crushed tomatoes, rather than whole tomatoes. How much? Ask DH
Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #19
Everymom

GotGarlic, what does HTH mean?

Maria, if your method works for you, just keep on doing it. I think there are lots of ideas here for the OP to choose from in rectifying their "runny" sauce.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
GotGarlic, what does HTH mean?
HTH = Hope this helps.

Tags
None