"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 01-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I sense an episode of cinnamon overload My MIL's best tip for lasagna, which was given to her by an Italian neighbor, was to add a pinch of cinnamon to the lasagna sauce. She said it counters the acidity of the tomatoes. I've done that all my married life.

You do have to be careful to add just a pinch. You shouldn't be able to taste it.

Funny thing; it was at MIL's house, where the bottle marked garlic was filled with cinnamon.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Funny thing; it was at MIL's house, where the bottle marked garlic was filled with cinnamon.

Oh no!

Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Oh no!
I tried various things to save it. I fanily had to thrrow in the towel and toss the sauce. I didn't impress anyone that night. I still state that it wasn't my fault though. Who puts cinnamon in a garlic bottle, I mean, besides my MIL?

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 01-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #14
Head Chef

A simple, very tasty red sauce for pasta I use a lot is to sweat off some finely chopped onions, adding some crushed garlic and finely chopped celery towards the end of the softening phase. Tip all into a saucepan with some tinned chopped tomatoes, chopped anchovy fillets (they melt down), seasoning and some basil. Simmer for about 20 - 30 mins. Great with spaghetti.

(I use about half a tin of anchovy fillets, say about 6 for a small 7 oz tin of tomatoes).
Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

But the anchovies are not vegetarian....

Here's my standard red sauce:

1/4 C Olive oil
1/2 large onion diced
1/2 sweet red pepper diced
1/2 Tsp coarsely ground fennel seed (just crush them up a little w/mortar and pestle)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
chopped garlic (several cloves)
1 can plain tomato sauce (14 oz)
1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
2 Tablespoons of tomato paste (catsup can be substituted)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbl dried basil or a handful of fresh shopped
2 tsp dried parsley
cracked black pepper
more Olive Oil

Sweat the onion and sweet pepper in olive oil. Add fennel seed and pepper flakes and cook in oil and savories for a minute or so to toast and boost flavor. Add garlic and cook another few seconds (do not brown garlic). Add all other ingredients bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for a few minutes or longer (20 minutes is optimal), stirring occasionally. Do not scorch. Just before serving add another TBL of EVOO.

The fennel is key to great sauce. You can alter this sauce as you like - I often add browned mushrooms. I actually brown those first and then begin the recipe in the same pan.

This sauce is delicious on pasta or can be used on a pizza or as a base for another dish. you can vary the proportions of spice and herb to meet your taste but don;t skip the fennel. Topping with fresh basil at the end is a super addition.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Your sauce sounds interesting, C4to. I may have to try it with the cashews...yum.

My neighbor makes the best marinara. I asked her for her recipe and it's so simple. Hard to believe.... it's amazingly good. A non-recipe, really:

Lynn's Marinara

Sweat (a lot of) chopped garlic in a generous amount of olive oil. Throw in chopped fresh or canned tomatoes and several bay leaves and simmer until thick. That's it.

I probably use one large bulb garlic, 2-3 Tbsp oil and two quarts tomatoes.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbrat View Post
Your sauce sounds interesting, C4to. I may have to try it with the cashews...yum.

My neighbor makes the best marinara. I asked her for her recipe and it's so simple. Hard to believe.... it's amazingly good. A non-recipe, really:

Lynn's Marinara

Sweat (a lot of) chopped garlic in a generous amount of olive oil. Throw in chopped fresh or canned tomatoes and several bay leaves and simmer until thick. That's it.

I probably use one large bulb garlic, 2-3 Tbsp oil and two quarts tomatoes.
Use sauce over pasta, egg plant, or chicken, and afterwards know that you are immune to pesky mosquitoes for a week.

Truly, those who eat substantial amounts of garlic are less likely to be bitten by mosquitoes. This includes me. When I eat lots of garlic in my foods, I rarely get bitten, while everyone else gets eaten up.

It's been said that the garlic smell will be noticeable on people who use lots of it in their foods.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #18
Head Chef

Red face

Oh sorry, I missed the reference to it having to be vegetarian.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
I sense an episode of cinnamon overload My MIL's best tip for lasagna, which was given to her by an Italian neighbor, was to add a pinch of cinnamon to the lasagna sauce. She said it counters the acidity of the tomatoes. I've done that all my married life.

You do have to be careful to add just a pinch. You shouldn't be able to taste it.
I have added A PINCH of cinnamon to tomato sauces for years. As quoted, you should not taste the spice.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #20
Master Chef

I have used cinnamon in cocktail sauce and also enjoyed it in Greek Pastitsio or moussaka.

This recipe could be adapted using coarsely ground cashews in place of the ground beef.

Beef and Potato Moussaka Recipe | Taste of Home

Tags
meat, pasta, sauce