ISO a good red pasta sauce {no meat}

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh sorry, I missed the reference to it having to be vegetarian.
Was there a reference to vegetarian? Couldn't find it. The thread title just says no meat....so thought anchovies would be allowed. :huh:

The OP didn't make any reference to vegetarian. I think because they wrote no meat, someone made that assumption.

The thread title says "no meat." Beyond that, it's impossible to know what individual people eat or don't. Vegetarian, pescetarian, etc. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, actually my wife is vegan {since she was 7} and when I make a sauce I try to keep it safe for her. I actually don't mind a meatless sauce, just getting used to the recipe I have been making for a long time...

As far as why the cashews, don't knock it until you try it, a nutty flavor is welcomed in almost all food and drink, people love nuts... I tried the Woodford Reserve Masters collection release last saturday and it had a nutty oak finish that people were raving about, so its even welcomed there...

I also know that adding pureed nuts ( cashews, almonds) add a creaminess to sauces for vegans ( in replacement to using cream which they cant use)

I follow a Lydia Bastianich recipe for a Tomato pesto that requires Pureed almonds. Its a raw sauce, and is actually pretty good. ( Great for the summer when your garden has an abundance of grape tomatoes/ basil)

Lidia's Italy: Recipes: Anna's Spaghetti and Pesto Trapanese

This is what I do.

Tomato Sauce

Ingredients-:

3 tablespoons olive oil
6 garlic cloves
1 ½ teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
1 ¼ cup chopped onion
3 (28 ounce) cans Italian Peeled Tomatoes, drained, chopped, reserve the juices.
(I use two quarts home canned tomatoes)
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper.
8 tablespoons chopped fresh Basil or 3 teaspoons dry
3 teaspoons of dry parsley
Two diced carrots (optional but then simmer till done)

Directions-:

Pour the olive oil in a stock pot, add the olive oil, onion, red pepper flakes, and garlic, cook over medium heat for 15 minutes stirring often until the onions are starting to brown.

Add the chopped tomatoes, paste, wine, salt, pepper, sugar (use sugar only if the tomatoes are tart.), basil, and oregano cook stirring well for 5 more minutes.

Add the reserve juices, bring to a boil and simmer for 30- 35 minutes stirring occasionally.

This is what I do.

Tomato Sauce

Ingredients-:

3 tablespoons olive oil
6 garlic cloves
1 ½ teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
1 ¼ cup chopped onion
3 (28 ounce) cans Italian Peeled Tomatoes, drained, chopped, reserve the juices.
(I use two quarts home canned tomatoes)
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper.
8 tablespoons chopped fresh Basil or 3 teaspoons dry
3 teaspoons of dry parsley
Two diced carrots (optional but then simmer till done)

Directions-:

Pour the olive oil in a stock pot, add the olive oil, onion, red pepper flakes, and garlic, cook over medium heat for 15 minutes stirring often until the onions are starting to brown.

Add the chopped tomatoes, paste, wine, salt, pepper, sugar (use sugar only if the tomatoes are tart.), basil, and oregano cook stirring well for 5 more minutes.

Add the reserve juices, bring to a boil and simmer for 30- 35 minutes stirring occasionally.

You've never had a problem with the garlic burning? I always put the garlic in when the onion is almost done and cook until fragrant. Then the tomato paste goes in, gets mixed with the onion etc and browned. It protects the garlic from burning, IME. Try adding a "Parmesan Bone (rind)" while it simmers!

Last edited:
No, I add the garlic towards the end of the onion sauté and never have heat on high enough to burn anything, unlike my wife.

I like to add rind when I have it but don't due to rennet in parm. One family member is vegitarian and work to make sure it is "meat" free.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom