"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
ISO a good red pasta sauce {no meat}

I have been making the same meatless red sauce for a long time, I am looking for a new red sauce, here is mine, which is always a hit, I use it in my lasagna, on pasta, in calzones, on pizza, ect its fast easy and always gets comments like "where did you buy this sauce?" lol...

I start with 1/4 cup olive oil, heat and add 1 large onion {sliced}.

In the food processor I mix 2 cups cashews, 1 TBL of olive oil, 1 onion {additional to the one already cooking}, 6 cloves garlic, 2 TBL of Basil, 2 teas oregano, and some red pepper flakes... I add it to my pan and let it simmer a bit.

I then add a can of paste, TBL of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup red wine, I simmer that a bit and then add my tomato {28 oz can}... Salt and black pepper to taste... The longer it cooks the better it tastes...

Sometimes I double up on the paste and cashews if I want it thicker..

So does anyone have a recipe for me to try or maybe a couple changes I can make to mine for something different...

thanks

__________________

__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,409
Yours sounds great! don't tweak a good thing, I say.
__________________

__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
The simplest one that I know is a variation of Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce.

28 ounce can of Wegman's crushed tomatoes or an equal amount of dead ripe homegrown tomatoes peeled and roughly chopped.
5 or 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
1 medium onion stuck with two whole cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer the crushed tomatoes, onion/cloves and half the butter for 30 minutes on low heat, uncovered, stirring every now and then. Taste, add salt and pepper if desired, remove onion, add remaining butter and stir gently. Serve over pasta.

If you have a half cup or so left over poach a couple of eggs in it and serve them over garlic toast with a sprinkle of grated cheese.

This also makes a nice simple soup on a cold winter night. A splash of heavy cream or a dollop of sour cream swirled in at the last minute is a nice finish.

You may want to start with the original.

Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Thanks,

Its been the same since I came up with it {after 10+ batches of tweaking that is}, it started as one of those things, "lets try something different" and then "wow this sauce is amazing" to now "red sauce again?"...
__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The simplest one that I know is a variation of Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce.

28 ounce can of Wegman's crushed tomatoes or an equal amount of dead ripe homegrown tomatoes peeled and roughly chopped.
5 or 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
1 medium onion stuck with two whole cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer the crushed tomatoes, onion/cloves and half the butter for 30 minutes on low heat, uncovered, stirring every now and then. Taste, add salt and pepper if desired, remove onion, add remaining butter and stir gently. Serve over pasta.

If you have a half cup or so left over poach a couple of eggs in it and serve them over garlic toast with a sprinkle of grated cheese.

This also makes a nice simple soup on a cold winter night. A splash of heavy cream or a dollop of sour cream swirled in at the last minute is a nice finish.

You may want to start with the original.

Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking
I thought of Marcella Hazan's recipe, as well. Her books are usually my "bible" for Italian cooking.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
I have been making the same meatless red sauce for a long time, I am looking for a new red sauce, here is mine, which is always a hit, I use it in my lasagna, on pasta, in calzones, on pizza, ect its fast easy and always gets comments like "where did you buy this sauce?" lol...

I start with 1/4 cup olive oil, heat and add 1 large onion {sliced}.

In the food processor I mix 2 cups cashews, 1 TBL of olive oil, 1 onion {additional to the one already cooking}, 6 cloves garlic, 2 TBL of Basil, 2 teas oregano, and some red pepper flakes... I add it to my pan and let it simmer a bit.

I then add a can of paste, TBL of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup red wine, I simmer that a bit and then add my tomato {28 oz can}... Salt and black pepper to taste... The longer it cooks the better it tastes...

Sometimes I double up on the paste and cashews if I want it thicker..

So does anyone have a recipe for me to try or maybe a couple changes I can make to mine for something different...

thanks
Are the Cashews Raw or Roasted ?
__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Are the Cashews Raw or Roasted ?
Roasted cashews, I buy the broken ones, they are much cheaper and since I am processing them anyway it works out... I used to roast them myself, but it costs more per lb for raw vs roasted so I save myself the work now...

You can process them down as much as you want, if you like a chunky sauce leave the chunky if you like a silky sauce go until they are smooth, I do it either way depending what I am going to use it for...

The sauce comes so good kids will come and eat it as soup with a loaf of bread and no pasta, so now I will make some bread bowls and heat some sauce up for him, except Ill add parmesan cheese, and a dollop of sour cream to the sauce... I make the sauce in bulk and then freeze it, I used to jar it but its not that same, I will still make some jars now and then, maybe its the lemon juice I put in the jars? Just not the same, it works better stored frozen...
__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
For a brighter/fresher flavor in you red sauce, omit the wine, saute' some chopped shrooms in butter, then add to your sauce, and cook the whole thing for no more than 30 minutes, just long enough to get the herbs and spices working. Then remove from heat, and chill rapidly. Let sit in the fridge overnight. Serve the next day.

I enjoy the slow cooked red sauce version. But at times (probably even a personal preference) I enjoy the bright flavor of making my sauce with crushed and diced tomatoes, with nothing added by the canner. I'm then free to make it taste the way I want it to taste. I do thicken with tomato paste as well. The fresh onion sweetens the sauce for me so that I need no added sugar. And I also tend to be a little garlic and basil heavy, with oregano, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary playing supporting rolls.

The mushrooms have to be sauteed enough, in butter, with salt, to bring out there wonderful flavor that blends so well in tomato sauce.

Sometimes, I'll make the sauce more like the French mother sauce, with carrots, onions, and such. The carrots also add sweetness to the mix, as well as nutrition and flavor.

Do not, I repeat, do not add cinnamon. Don't ask me how I know that. I just do. It's a legendary story when I get together with the kids. It completely ruins the sauce.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Do not, I repeat, do not add cinnamon. Don't ask me how I know that. I just do. It's a legendary story when I get together with the kids. It completely ruins the sauce.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I sense an episode of cinnamon overload My MIL's best tip for lasagna, which was given to her by an Italian neighbor, was to add a pinch of cinnamon to the lasagna sauce. She said it counters the acidity of the tomatoes. I've done that all my married life.

You do have to be careful to add just a pinch. You shouldn't be able to taste it.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,777
When I use tomato paste in a cooked sauce, I make sure it goes in where it has the opportunity to brown. This is usually after the onions have sweated and the garlic has been added. Really adds another depth of flavor. I will sometimes add small dice carrot when the onions go in.

Sometimes I like to use grape tomatoes in a quick pan sauce, which may contain zucchini and mushrooms in addition to the onion, garlic and spices. I cook the pasta until just before it is done and let it finish in the sauce.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
meat, pasta, sauce

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.