ISO Clam sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I would like to try to make red clam sauce, anyone have a decent recipe for it that you have tried?

I just do a very basic red sauce and add canned baby clams. I imagine that isn't terribly helpful, sorry. Are you planning on fresh or canned clams?

put the clams in a pan with evoo a garlic clove, minced parsley. let fry gently then add tomato sauce with chopped tomatoes inside mix and let it cook for 10 minutes about.
i usually mix clams with mussels shrimps and squids and put them on spaghetti.
they're called spaghetti allo scoglio.
or you can mix clams with a little tuna to get a stronger fish feeling.

I make red and white clam sauce essentially the same with the only exception the addition of chopped tomatoes.

Melt butter in a stockpot. Add crushed garlic and 3 anchovies to the butter. Stir for about 1 minute. For a pound of pasta I'd use a cup of butter. Add a cup of clam juice and 2 cups white wine. (If you're doing red clam sauce, add a cup chopped tomatoes before you add the clam juice/wine...let simmer 2 minutes before adding the juice/wine). Bring to a low simmer for 20 minutes. Add clams*. Simmer 3-5 minutes, add fresh oregano, basil, grated cheese and S&P. Add your cooked pasta to the sauce pot and toss gently.

Plate with the clams on top, sprinkle with toasted herbed breadcrumbs. (red pepper flakes if you like, too)

*I prefer to use fresh clams from the fish store. I don't like adding the raw clams to my sauce because I don't want to risk any sand or shells in the sauce. I steam the clams separately, just till they open, and then finish them in the sauce during the last three minutes. YOu can use canned or frozen clams, too.

I make red and white clam sauce essentially the same with the only exception the addition of chopped tomatoes.

Melt butter in a stockpot. Add crushed garlic and 3 anchovies to the butter. Stir for about 1 minute. For a pound of pasta I'd use a cup of butter. Add a cup of clam juice and 2 cups white wine. (If you're doing red clam sauce, add a cup chopped tomatoes before you add the clam juice/wine...let simmer 2 minutes before adding the juice/wine). Bring to a low simmer for 20 minutes. Add clams*. Simmer 3-5 minutes, add fresh oregano, basil, grated cheese and S&P. Add your cooked pasta to the sauce pot and toss gently.

Plate with the clams on top, sprinkle with toasted herbed breadcrumbs. (red pepper flakes if you like, too)

*I prefer to use fresh clams from the fish store. I don't like adding the raw clams to my sauce because I don't want to risk any sand or shells in the sauce. I steam the clams separately, just till they open, and then finish them in the sauce during the last three minutes. YOu can use canned or frozen clams, too.

sounds good, thanks for the recipe.

put the clams in a pan with evoo a garlic clove, minced parsley. let fry gently then add tomato sauce with chopped tomatoes inside mix and let it cook for 10 minutes about.
i usually mix clams with mussels shrimps and squids and put them on spaghetti.
they're called spaghetti allo scoglio.
or you can mix clams with a little tuna to get a stronger fish feeling.

thanks for the suggestion.

yes I did check that.

I just do a very basic red sauce and add canned baby clams. I imagine that isn't terribly helpful, sorry. Are you planning on fresh or canned clams?

it is helpful, thank you for the suggestion. I don't know yet which I will use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom