ISO creamiest white sauce with cheddar cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaheen

Senior Cook
hi guys i wnat a recipe for a creamy white sauce. Cheddar cheese would be preferable because that is the one that is easily available. I'm not counting calories, so the richer the better! :mrgreen:

I cut a couple cloves of garlic up. I peel an onion and cut it in half. I set 2 cups of full fat milk in saucepan on a burner on low, and toss in garlic and onion. let it sit in there until it gets hot. bout 10 mins

Meanwhile, start a roux.

Put three tablespoons of butter in a skillet and let it melt down over medium low heat. At this point slowly add 2-3 tablespoons of flour.stir it constantly. dont let it stay still or it will clump, keep stirring cooking flour like 1 minute or so.

At this point remove garlic and onion from the milk. Slowly add the warm milk to the roux(flour and butter). Stir this around briskly, get out any lumps. Once you have the roux and the milk in there, bring to a boil, then quickly lower to a simmer.

At this point i add a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. continue to simmer for 3 minutes. After three minutes, add in 1/2 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream. Continue on a low simmer for 3 minutes.

At this point add in 8 oz Shredded White Vermont Cheddar CHeese, and 8 Oz diced Velveeta Cheese. Slowly stir it in until it is all melted and creamy and hot and delicious. Alot of people add a dash of worchestershire sauce and a teaspoon of hot sauce to this, it makes it delicious. FRESHLY CRACKED BLACK PEPPER IS A NECESSITY FOR THIS DISH.

i serve this over pasta shells. This will make enough sauce for 8-12 oz pasta

Last edited:
You make a bechamel/white sauce and add cheese=creamy cheese sauce. If you want it extra good use half and half for the liquid.
Cook a roux of flour and butter to get rid of the floury taste. Add the cream and cook, whisking to keep it smooth until it bubbles and it is the consistency you want (medium thick). Remove from heat and add shredded cheese. If you want it to be very white, then use white cheddar.
What are you using it for.

I stress for you to try my idea of cutting in half a bunch of garlic cloves and an onion and letting your milk simmer in that as the base of your sauce. It's wonderful and you can easily remove them when mixing with roux.

Either with pasta or simply mixed with sweet corn as a side dish. What is the difference if I use it for pasta or anything else? Is there a change in the recipe then?

Mylegsbig said:
I stress for you to try my idea of cutting in half a bunch of garlic cloves and an onion and letting your milk simmer in that as the base of your sauce. It's wonderful and you can easily remove them when mixing with roux.

ALright Mylegsbig, I'll make sure I'll do exactly that! Thanks! :)

I think legs big's recipe would fine with corn, though I've never tried. I make a cheese sauce for cauliflower, brocolli, or asparagus. Basically a roux, slowly add milk to avoid lumps until the consistency looks good. Then add cheddar to taste (I like tillamook x-tra sharp white cheddar), kosher salt & fresh ground pepper.

A great basic mac and cheese would make a great cheese sauce (without the mac of course). Maybe cut down on the milk, use a bit of half and half instead - and still follow the basic recipe. I just copied and pasted the whole recipe 'cause my head is getting ready to hit the pillow - sorry!

Classic Mac & Cheese - Four Cheese
Serves 4 to 6

8 oz. elbow macaroni
2 c. milk (2% or whole milk, not non-fat)
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
1 3/4 cups basic cheddar cheese
**3/4 c. (3 oz.) Gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded
**1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper

**If you want to have all cheddar it is excellent also - we have done it that way many timesl Sometimes the Parmesan can turn the mac grainy.

~ Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water, until al
dente. Drain.
~ While macaroni is cooking, heat milk in a saucepan
over low heat. Stir occasionally, and do not let it
boil.
~ In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
~ When butter is melted, stir in flour to make a roux.
Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes.
~ Add milk to roux in a stream, whisking.
~ Cook milk sauce, whisking, until slightly thickened. It won't thicken until it gets REAL close to boiling.
Do not let the sauce boil.
~ Add first couple handsful of cheese to start. Stir cheese into sauce until thoroughly combined and melted.
~ Stir macaroni into sauce. Season with salt and pepper
to taste.

My son and I have tried many different cheeses in this - we've tried part smoked cheddar or gouda and we both agree that the smokiness overpowers it (but we're purists when it comes to mac and cheese) - Our favorite is gruyere and a mild cheddar.

Many recipes call for baking but we find this only "dries it out" a bit and we like it creamy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chef:

kitchenelf said:
Do not let the sauce boil.
~ Add first couple handsful of cheese to start. Stir cheese into sauce until thoroughly combined and melted.
good point! If the sauce gets too hot after you add the cheese, then the oil will separate from the sauce and give a broken and grainy yucky texture.:sick: I usually take the pan off the heat when I put the cheese in or at least turn the heat way down to low.

Back
Top Bottom