ISO Garlic Pasta Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sydfan

Senior Cook
If anyone is familiar with Maggiano's Restaurant, I'd like to make a garlic sauce similar to theirs. We're having company over tomorrow (Sunday) and we'd like to stay away from a tomato based sauce. Any help would be appreciated!

sydfan said:
If anyone is familiar with Maggiano's Restaurant, I'd like to make a garlic sauce similar to theirs. We're having company over tomorrow (Sunday) and we'd like to stay away from a tomato based sauce. Any help would be appreciated!

Have you tried the Food Network's website yet? Giada DeLaurentis does it all the time on her show Everyday Italian.

Never heard of Maggiano's here. For a good garlic sauce, you can do a few things. Poach whole garlic cloves in heavy cream until reduced, then peal, mash them into the cream. Or, roast the whole heads, then cook them in the cream sauce until reduced to your liking. Good luck!

Or make a light bechamel sauce, chop up the garlic real fine and just add it to the sauce. Like I do for shrimp scampi

I also throw a little bit of white wine in there as well.

Last edited:
Loprraine said:
Poach whole garlic cloves in heavy cream until reduced, then peal, mash them into the cream.

Wow Loppraine, this sounds so good! How long would it take to poach the garlic in the cream for pasta sauce? (I normally poach whole garlic in canola oil for 40 min for general use.) TIA!

Chopstix said:
Wow Loppraine, this sounds so good! How long would it take to poach the garlic in the cream for pasta sauce? (I normally poach whole garlic in canola oil for 40 min for general use.) TIA!
Chopsitx,
When I make garlic mashed potatoes, I add about20 cloves of good sized garlic to about 1-1/2 cups heavy cream, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer several hours..I just stir now and them. The cream reduces a bit and it picks up the flavor of the garlic..I then just mash the garlic right in the liquid and put in the potatoes with butter..I would think this would be wonderful over pasta..
Sorry I jumped into your conversation with Loppraine:angel:
kadesma:)

Thanks Kadesma! Mmmmmm mmmmm, sounds wonderful on mashed potatoes too!!! Several hours... yikes! Must be really good!

Chopstix said:
Thanks Kadesma! Mmmmmm mmmmm, sounds wonderful on mashed potatoes too!!! Several hours... yikes! Must be really good!
I love making mashed potatoes this way, it seems to get sweeter the longer the cream and garlic simmer. I just whip this into the potatoes along with butter,salt and pepper..All the kids and grandkids love it.

Constance said:
That sounds delicious, Kadesma! :-p
We love garlic mashed potatoes, so when ever we have steaks or sometimes tri-tip this goes along with it...I like the sweet creaminess it gives the potatoes.

I can suggest one of the world's simplest, easiest and tastiest garlicky spaghetti recipes, called "Spaghetti aglio, olio e peperoncino", which is actually one of the Italian classic pasta dishes.

Take one hearty clove per head, mince them and sautè in evoo with pinch of salt. (take the skillet off as soon as the garlic START to take on golden colour, otherwise it will burn, they continue to cook inside the hot oil after being removed from heat.)
Toss the hot spaghetti cooked al dente with the garlic mixture, pinch of cayenne (depends on how spicy you like... or you can substitute cayenne with freshly and coarsely ground black pepper as well.). Also if you like add a little more salt, and sprinkle generous amount of chopped fresh flat leaved parsley, and extra drizzle of raw evoo. Enjoy!

boufa06 said:
Kad, can I cheat on the time?:LOL: My hands are almost full having to stew Greek dishes!!
Boufa, sure you can:LOL: You just want to get the garlic nice and soft..I'll share this with you, I sometimes make it the day before and just warm it up when the potatoes are ready to be whipped, saves time and you get the nice sweet and soft garlic you want.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions everyone!!!! I couldn't check in after I posted this, but I wanted a lighter sauce....I don't know if you'd even call it a sauce. My wife whipped something up that was fantastic and very light. She used some ovoo, garlic, chicken broth and butter and simmered it for 30-45 minutes then added a few dry herbs. It was light and delicious! Very simple too.

This is Garlic Clam Sauce:

5 tablespoons evoo
1 tablespoon Smart Balance
5 or 6 chopped cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Couple slices of chopped onion
1 cup dry white wine
1 can minced clams
Pepper small sprinkle red pepper optional

Saute the onion garlic in the evoo,butter (slowly)

add all other ingredients except the CLAMS (you can add the clam juice)

Simmer slowly...with cover

1/4 - 1 pound pasta(less pasta-more sauce)

Large pot of water, bring to a boil. Add thin spaghetti when the pasta ALMOST done ...add the clams to the sauce. About 5 minutes before the pasta is done. Drain and add the pasta to the clam sauce. Let simmer 5 minutes. Plate, pour sauce top spaghetti, top with grated parm cheese.
Enjoy....a glass of white dry wine with it.

Back
Top Bottom