"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO mushroom peppercorn sauce without deglazing

for xmas, dh wants grilled pork tenderloin with a mushroom peppercorn sauce. I'm unsure how to do this without searing the meat in the pan first to deglaze. Can I use one of those little packets of demi-glaze?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
if it`s Grilled can`t you use the contents of the Drip Tray to do the rest?
or am I totaly misunderstanding you here?

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I would definitely sear the tenderloin and finish in a hot oven. Ooops, I see, you want to grill it. Personally, I think grilled things call for an entirely different and maybe less "sophisticated" sauce than peppercorn.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yes, you can. I'm assuming you mean the instant "demi" where you mix it with water and get like 1 to 2 cups of sauce? There's different kinds so it depends which one you use. Is it the instant sauce type or the concentrated demi glace Gold type? If it's the instant sauce type, then mix it with water then scald it. In a seperate sauce pan, saute the mushrooms, deglaze or don't deglaze with red wine (if you deglaze it, let the wine reduce to au sec), then add the scaled demi and the peppercorns. Simmer it for about 15-20 minutes to let the flavors develop then season to taste, and add fresh herbs if you want (thyme would work best). You may need to add a slurry to thicken the sauce up.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I make a thick mushroom sauce by
a) sauteeing the mushrooms with a tiny bit of onion in olive oil until they're browned
b) blitzing them in the blender
c) adding a cup of dry white wine or dry Marsala
d) adding a tablespoon of Chinese Mushroom soy sauce.

Reduce until thick. Add your peppercorns at will!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Yes, you can. I'm assuming you mean the instant "demi" where you mix it with water and get like 1 to 2 cups of sauce? There's different kinds so it depends which one you use. Is it the instant sauce type or the concentrated demi glace Gold type? If it's the instant sauce type, then mix it with water then scald it. In a seperate sauce pan, saute the mushrooms, deglaze or don't deglaze with red wine (if you deglaze it, let the wine reduce to au sec), then add the scaled demi and the peppercorns. Simmer it for about 15-20 minutes to let the flavors develop then season to taste, and add fresh herbs if you want (thyme would work best). You may need to add a slurry to thicken the sauce up.
I was gonna use the demi-glace gold. What is the instant type? It'll be fine if I buy the beef demi-glace even though we'll be having it with pork, right?

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
I was gonna use the demi-glace gold. What is the instant type? It'll be fine if I buy the beef demi-glace even though we'll be having it with pork, right?

Thanks everyone for your responses!
The demi glace Gold is a little different, but it's better. I found a recipe that you can use:

Steak with green peppercorn sauce

Since you want to grill the meat, start from step 3 of the method, and just saute the shallots with butter, then continue on.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Executive Chef

What do you think about this recipe ironchef? Grilled Steak with Peppercorn Sauce Recipe
I'd rather do black peppercorns but I like the cream in the recipe you suggested.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:50 PM   #9
Executive Chef

We aren't wine drinkers either, what do I buy?
Also, I heard of simmering the peppercorns in olive oil to tame the heat?
Old 12-22-2006, 02:13 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
What do you think about this recipe ironchef? Grilled Steak with Peppercorn Sauce Recipe
I'd rather do black peppercorns but I like the cream in the recipe you suggested.
Since you're using pork instead of steak, I would use the cream recipe because a straight demi style sauce will overpower the pork. The cream should temper and balance it a bit and give you a more mellow demi glace flavor.

Tags
None