ISO mushroom peppercorn sauce without deglazing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
for xmas, dh wants grilled pork tenderloin with a mushroom peppercorn sauce. I'm unsure how to do this without searing the meat in the pan first to deglaze. Can I use one of those little packets of demi-glaze?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

if it`s Grilled can`t you use the contents of the Drip Tray to do the rest?
or am I totaly misunderstanding you here?

I would definitely sear the tenderloin and finish in a hot oven. Ooops, I see, you want to grill it. Personally, I think grilled things call for an entirely different and maybe less "sophisticated" sauce than peppercorn.

Yes, you can. I'm assuming you mean the instant "demi" where you mix it with water and get like 1 to 2 cups of sauce? There's different kinds so it depends which one you use. Is it the instant sauce type or the concentrated demi glace Gold type? If it's the instant sauce type, then mix it with water then scald it. In a seperate sauce pan, saute the mushrooms, deglaze or don't deglaze with red wine (if you deglaze it, let the wine reduce to au sec), then add the scaled demi and the peppercorns. Simmer it for about 15-20 minutes to let the flavors develop then season to taste, and add fresh herbs if you want (thyme would work best). You may need to add a slurry to thicken the sauce up.

I make a thick mushroom sauce by
a) sauteeing the mushrooms with a tiny bit of onion in olive oil until they're browned
b) blitzing them in the blender
c) adding a cup of dry white wine or dry Marsala
d) adding a tablespoon of Chinese Mushroom soy sauce.

Reduce until thick. Add your peppercorns at will!

ironchef said:
Yes, you can. I'm assuming you mean the instant "demi" where you mix it with water and get like 1 to 2 cups of sauce? There's different kinds so it depends which one you use. Is it the instant sauce type or the concentrated demi glace Gold type? If it's the instant sauce type, then mix it with water then scald it. In a seperate sauce pan, saute the mushrooms, deglaze or don't deglaze with red wine (if you deglaze it, let the wine reduce to au sec), then add the scaled demi and the peppercorns. Simmer it for about 15-20 minutes to let the flavors develop then season to taste, and add fresh herbs if you want (thyme would work best). You may need to add a slurry to thicken the sauce up.
I was gonna use the demi-glace gold. What is the instant type? It'll be fine if I buy the beef demi-glace even though we'll be having it with pork, right?

Thanks everyone for your responses!

corazon90 said:
I was gonna use the demi-glace gold. What is the instant type? It'll be fine if I buy the beef demi-glace even though we'll be having it with pork, right?

Thanks everyone for your responses!

The demi glace Gold is a little different, but it's better. I found a recipe that you can use:

Steak with green peppercorn sauce

Since you want to grill the meat, start from step 3 of the method, and just saute the shallots with butter, then continue on.

corazon90 said:
What do you think about this recipe ironchef? Grilled Steak with Peppercorn Sauce Recipe
I'd rather do black peppercorns but I like the cream in the recipe you suggested.

Since you're using pork instead of steak, I would use the cream recipe because a straight demi style sauce will overpower the pork. The cream should temper and balance it a bit and give you a more mellow demi glace flavor.

corazon90 said:
We aren't wine drinkers either, what do I buy?
Also, I heard of simmering the peppercorns in olive oil to tame the heat?

I've never heard of the olive oil method. But as for the heat, the sauce itself doesn't really get that spicy. If an au poivre sauce is spicy, then either it was made that way intentionally or it was made wrong.

As far as wines, just go local. Chateau Ste. Michelle makes some very affordable and good tasting wines. Their Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon received 90 pts. in Wine Spectator and usually retails for less than $16.00. Their Columbia Valley Merlot received 88 pts. in Wine Spectator and usually retails for about the same as the Cab. Both wines aren't as oaky as their California counterparts and either should match well with the Pork and cream based au poivre sauce.

ironchef said:
Since you're using pork instead of steak, I would use the cream recipe because a straight demi style sauce will overpower the pork. The cream should temper and balance it a bit and give you a more mellow demi glace flavor.
Good point. Do you think I could just switch black for green peppercorns in the recipe you suggested? or simply add some cream to the recipe I found, to tame the flavor a bit?
I found a nice pinot noir today, that's a nice dry wine right?
Thanks again for your help ironchef!

corazon90 said:
Good point. Do you think I could just switch black for green peppercorns in the recipe you suggested? or simply add some cream to the recipe I found, to tame the flavor a bit?
I found a nice pinot noir today, that's a nice dry wine right?
Thanks again for your help ironchef!

Usually reds aren't referred to as being dry or sweet since most red wines aren't sweet anyway. The "sweetness" in reds are classified more by their fruit. A Pinot Noir usually is bigger in fruit than most reds, but is by no means sweet.

Looking at the two recipes, I would use the one in the link I posted. It looks like it will be a much better sauce.

Back
Top Bottom