ISO Peanut sauce tips and recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I'm thinking of making a large batch of peanut sauce, and freezing it in small containers. Since I have never made it, I have some questions and need tips..

-could I replace sugar with honey?

-is it really much tastier, if I use roasted peanuts instead of natural peanut butter?

-which spices could I add for example?

-does it taste much better with coconut milk, or should I just use milk?

Thanks in advance !!

I make mine as follows:

1 small shallot or onion finely chopped
1 clove of garlic minced
1/4 tsp of ginger grated
1 tbsp of brown sugar (honey would work fine)
1.5 cup of peanut butter (I like to use the all natural one that is sold in grocery store)
1 tsp of chili sauce (I like to use siracha chili sauce)
1/2 tbsp of soy sauce
1/2 tsp of corrainder seed - dry roast and powder
1/2 tsp of cumin seed - dry roast and powder
2 tbsp of coconut milk
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp of oil

In the oil, add the onion and let it brown. Next add ginger and garlic and add all the other spices, sauces and peanut. Stir it all together and let it simmer on low for 5-10 minutes. Add the coconut milk, stir and let it cook for another minute. Cool completely.

Put in a serving bowl, garnish with a few roasted and chopped peanuts and diced cilantro. You can ofcourse freeze it and garnish it before serving.

Thanks Yakuta.. I think we should just experiment ourselves. I was thinking of adding some cream.. don't know if it's a good idea. I also know some people use lemon juice or vinegar..

Actually you can experiment any way you want. I prefer the taste of coconut milk over cream. I also like the ease of using peanut butter over ground peanuts but if you have unsalted peanuts I don't see why you cannot grind your own and mix it with the other ingredients. The sky's the limit if you want to experiment. I have one very picky child who loves his peanut sauce a particular way so I have to stick to my recipe.

Tonight I made some sate sauce to put over turkey. I had researched some turkey sate's but nothing for already cooked turkey.

I made the sauce and put it over cooked shredded turkey and warmed it up, yum.
I used a blender.
peanuts
milk (had no coconut milk)
garlic
olive oil
chili powder
salt
and some crushed red peppers

It turned out wonderfully! Yum.
Had it with seasoned sweet potato, thin sliced, olive oil, seasoned and oven baked.

I always use honey, never sugar. I sauté chopped garlic in a bit of olive oil. Add the peanut butter, honey, coconut milk. You could stop there and have a very basic peanut sauce. I like to add red pepper flakes, sliced green onion, and a drizzle of chili oil.
I'm not convinced this will freeze, though. The fat content may be too high.

I don`t use milk of any sort in mine, the liquids are just lime juice, light Soy sauce, Chili sauce and Sesame oil.
I always use roasted nuts, Peanuts or Cashews.

Back
Top Bottom