ISO Simmer Sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StormyNight

Assistant Cook
I love those simmer sauces that you add chicken, pork, or even tofu to and I'd love to make some and bottle them for a quick home made meal.

I'm open to anything that I can bottle!!

Thank you.

Can you be more specific? Many cultures have basic "sauces" that you can add those ingredients to.

I also am a little confused. You want to bottle home made sauces? Do you understand you must use the canning process or freeze them?

I'm a bit confused too.
Storage is one issue but what is a "simmer sauce"?
Are you seeking an independent sauce or are you looking for a good pan sauce/gravy recipe?

Hello, I should have elaborated :)

Back in the old days of the 80's there used to be this sauce called "Chicken Tonight", a commercially jarred sauce. You browned your chicken (or tofu, etc.) and then simmered it in the jarred sauce just until it was heated through.

I do not think these are still available in the US, but they are still available in the UK, in fact it looks like they come in all different flavors: Spanish Chicken, Country French white wine sauce, Rich and creamy mushroom sauce, Spicy Mexican, etc.

I would love to make something similar and can it. I have a pressure canner, so I would pressure can it (other than the creamy sauces with milk or cream - I do not can these items). I know in some instances I could freeze the sauce (again probably not the creamy ones) but I love the idea of pulling it off my pantry shelf and having a meal in a few minutes.

These are the types of recipes I'm looking for. Thanks!

I would think that you could find a recipe in the Ball Blue Book or Ball website that would fill the bill.

Recipes[]=880

A pint of a home canned simmer sauce, with a simple instruction tag, would make a nice little gift.

Good luck!

Stormy, I see you're canning a bunch of marinara tomorrow. The marinara would probably make a base for great simmer sauces, much better than Chicken Tonight (which I remember as well!) with simple additions like olives, vodka and cream, different combos of herbs and spices, veggies, etc. Sounds like you know your way around a pressure canner!

Last edited:

Back in the old days of the 80's there used to be this sauce called "Chicken Tonight", a commercially jarred sauce. You browned your chicken (or tofu, etc.) and then simmered it in the jarred sauce just until it was heated through.

I do not think these are still available in the US, but they are still available in the UK, in fact it looks like they come in all different flavors: Spanish Chicken, Country French white wine sauce, Rich and creamy mushroom sauce, Spicy Mexican, etc.

I would love to make something similar and can it. I have a pressure canner, so I would pressure can it (other than the creamy sauces with milk or cream - I do not can these items). I know in some instances I could freeze the sauce (again probably not the creamy ones) but I love the idea of pulling it off my pantry shelf and having a meal in a few minutes.

Oh ok, now I get the idea. I remember those "chicken tonight" simmer sauces well, and one particular one was fantastic.....I think it was the Country French one. I was really bummed when they went off the market here. I wonder why? I don't have a clue how to make that one, but I'd sure love to know.

News Flash.... look what I just found!
http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_25/2009/NOV/1460.html

Last edited:
I remember those Chicken Tonight sauces. I used to buy the creamy ones back when I was traveling because it was more convenient than keeping fresh cream and stock on hand. But in my home kitchen I think it's almost as easy to whip something up from scratch.

I remember those Chicken Tonight sauces. I used to buy the creamy ones back when I was traveling because it was more convenient than keeping fresh cream and stock on hand. But in my home kitchen I think it's almost as easy to whip something up from scratch.

Come on, Steve - it's not almost as easy to pull out, cut up, measure and cook a dozen ingredients than it is to open a jar and pour it into a pan ;)

That said, I enjoyed the Country French sauce, too, and I'm going to rework that recipe to make a seasoned cream sauce. I think 1 cup of vegetable oil is way too much, and that's probably why it's hard to emulsify, but it's nice to have something to work from.

"I do not think these are still available in the US, but they are still available in the UK, in fact it looks like they come in all different flavors: Spanish Chicken, Country French white wine sauce, Rich and creamy mushroom sauce, Spicy Mexican, etc."

I'm in the UK and tried some of these a friend's house. Of course, the recipes here may be different to the ones you bought in the US but ours are seriously nasty.

There are recipes for original versions of these and other sauces which are much better. Why not make them to serve fresh or to freeze instead of copying commercial products. If you are going to the trouble of making the sauce to freeze you could go the whole hog and make and freeze the finished dish

Do take note of what Kayelle says about canning or freezing to ensure you won't make yourself ill.

Last edited:
I can see canning sauces and things that take a long time to make. Mole and Cajun roux would be examples. Wouldn't want to come home from work and tackle either of those to make dinner.

Come on, Steve - it's not almost as easy to pull out, cut up, measure and cook a dozen ingredients than it is to open a jar and pour it into a pan ;)
What I'm talking about is more a variation on Bechamel, which really doesn't take much time or many ingredients. Make a simple roux, add your liquids (white wine and/or stock; finish with cream). It can be seasoned any way you like. For a French type sauce, I would probably use herbs de Provence and maybe a chopped shallot.

Obviously not as quick as opening up a jar, but not something that's going to tie you to the stove for more than 10 minutes.

I linked to the Chicken Tonight UK site and thoughtfully they listed all the ingredients in each sauce. I spent hours (really) yesterday re-creating a honey mustard creamy style sauce with grated carrots and onions.

Then we found a great Tuesday pizza coupon and ended up using (!!) so we'll have it tonight :)

What I'm talking about is more a variation on Bechamel, which really doesn't take much time or many ingredients. Make a simple roux, add your liquids (white wine and/or stock; finish with cream). It can be seasoned any way you like. For a French type sauce, I would probably use herbs de Provence and maybe a chopped shallot.

Obviously not as quick as opening up a jar, but not something that's going to tie you to the stove for more than 10 minutes.

I was talking about a bechamel, too, but the specific recipe we were referring to - French Chicken - had chopped mushrooms and carrots in it, too, and I would add shallots and garlic (the linked recipe used dried onions and garlic). So that's four more ingredients and 5 minutes of chopping, not to mention prepping and cooking the chicken and something to serve it over.

Regardless of the ingredients used, everything I've ever read says to not can foods containing cream or milk because of the relatively high pH.

I would think you would be better off freezing them.

Where was I when these sauces were popular? I was never one for making casseroles. Maybe I was too busy cooking from scratch to see them on the shelves. Although my kids managed to survive Hamburger Helper. What era were these popular? :angel:

Back
Top Bottom