ISO: Simple Sauce for Ravioli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ELLENM

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a simple sauce to put on Portabello mushroom Ravioli (store bought)
I don't know what would be a good one.
HELP, please

Saute some shallots, garlic and mushrooms in butter, add heavy cream and reduce, whisk in grated parmesan cheese off the heat and serve ov3er the ravs.

:)How experienced are you with cooking? If not much then buy a pasta or spaghetti sauce to put on top.And have some parmesan cheese to put on top.

I am looking for a simple sauce to put on Portabello mushroom Ravioli (store bought)
I don't know what would be a good one.
HELP, please
Ellen,
while we always have a red sauce that I make with homemade ravioli, I think that an alfredo sauce with added sauteed frozen artichoke and a few sauteed chopped mushroom mix into it might be tasty with your ravioli..It probably sounds heavy and it isn't quite as easy as some sauces,but, ravioli need a little heavier sauce for my gang. Add a green salad and some fruit for dessert and your set.
kadesma:)

ELLEN - I would do as Andy M suggested (leaving out the mushrooms since your ravioli already has mushrooms in it). You can certainly use chopped white or yellow onions in place of the shallots if that's all you have. Shallots will be so good though!

You could also use just an olive oil and garlic sauce. Heat the olive oil, saute some garlic on LOW, add some salt and pepper, and toss your cooked pasta in. If you add some butter into that olive oil the flavor will be that much better. A squirt of lemon couldn't hurt either!

Any of the above-suggested "white" pasta sauces would do - as would just plain butter, salt & pepper, & grated parmesan cheese.

While I enjoy red sauces on cheese & meat raviolis, I find white sauces work best with veggie, seafood, & poultry-stuffed varieties.

ELLENM,
One thing I'd add to the Portobello and "White" sauce is Nutmeg.
Not sure if you like it, to me a white sauce is not complete without it. I'd follow Andy M's recommendation using broccoli instead of mushrooms and adding nutmeg.

Back
Top Bottom