ISO: Sweet & Tangy BBQ Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vyapti

Sous Chef
My daughter's birthday dinner is this weekend and she wants veggie skewers grilled with plenty of BBQ sauce. The thing is, she doesn't want the veggies that you typically associate with Kebabs. So Far, I think I'll be making the skewers out of Broccoli, Carrots, Onions, Tofu or Tempeh, and Fruit (Pineapple and Apple or Pear).

Here's my dilemma. I need a barbecue sauce (and not sweet & sour sauce) that will complement broccoli and carrots. Does anyone have any recipes or ideas that I can build on?

Thanks.

I make a bbq sauce based on James Beard's: Saute onions in butter, add chili powder, lemon juice, basil. Add tomato sauce, molasses, brown sugar. I throw in some pickle juice, too.
Not sure how it would taste of veggie skewers.

I looked through some really old recipes and found molasses or sorghum, brown sugar, ginger, nutmeg, lemon juice, vinegar and cider and even raspberries, but I can't find anything that sounds like it would male a BBQ sauce for broccoli. Maybe it should be a finger food served with Ranch?

I looked through some really old recipes and found molasses or sorghum, brown sugar, ginger, nutmeg, lemon juice, vinegar and cider and even raspberries, but I can't find anything that sounds like it would male a BBQ sauce for broccoli. Maybe it should be a finger food served with Ranch?

Well, I'm going to do my best. The birthday girl needs to get her wish.

Last week, I polished off a head of broccoli, dipping it in Mango Chutney and that was pretty good. So that's kind of what I'm going for ... I think.

i googled and found this. i hope it helps.

Sweet and Tangy BBQ Sauce
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
DIRECTIONS

1. Melt the butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until tender. Mix in ketchup, cider vinegar, water, apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, molasses, honey, mustard powder, chili powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I have a doctor Pepper BQQ sauce recipe, If you can wait until I get better from the flue "not the swine flu" just the normal flue and I've all ready went to the docs about it.

This is what I made. It was a bit of a mess as I had too many skewers and not enough coals. I ran out of heat and most of the veggies weren't done. The BBQ sauce was good though.

Sweet Apricot Barbecue Sauce:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom