ISO sweet sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fawn

Cook
My mom bought this unagi (eel) with a very delicious sauce with it.

It's a sweet sauce. similar to the sauce they served with Gindara Fish in Japanese restaurants (brown sauce that is quite sweet)

Any idea/ copycat recommendations?

I have a couple recipes for this too...

The first is what I started with, Dave Kodama's -

4-C Sake (Rice Wine)
1-C Mirin (Sweet Rice Wine)
1-C Shoyu (Japanese Soy Sauce)
1-C Sugar
1-t Hondashi (Japanese Soup Base)

But the real kabayaki/nitsume sauce is a heavily reduced stock made from the heads and spines of the Eels that are filleted. The traditional recipe (rarely seen in restaurants) involves filling the base of a pot with eel heads/bones, and adding (to cover) 7 parts water, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part mirin, 1 part sake. You then add sugar to sweeten. Seeing as I don't have eel heads lying around, I came up with the following recipe...

2-C Dashi (A Japanese Stock)
3/4-C Sake
1/4-C Shoyu
1/2-C Sugar

I'm not a big fan of mirin. To me it seems like cheap sake with corn syrup added to it, so I omit it for just plain good sake and sugar. A good homemade dashi takes minutes to make with bonito and kelp, and is an excellent substitute for the eel stock. It has a delicate yet intoxicating aroma and flavor (it's also the base of any good Miso soup). To make the nitsume, simply combine the ingredients in a saucier and reduce over medium-high heat to a thin syrup (it will thicken considerably as it cools).

I usually stock a couple packs of Unagi in my freezer. I get it pre-charcoal grilled and frozen from Catalina Offshore Products for about $5/eel. I use to eat the stuff like crazy, but now I only keep it for when non-sushi eaters come over and want to try some sushi for the first time. It usually goes over better than serving them a battleship of uni... :LOL:

Making the rice is actually the longest and most drawn out process... :neutral:

$5/eel... I think Unagi Nigiri runs about $3 for two slivers at my local sushi bars... :LOL:

You can make 20+ pieces with one $5 eel... :rolleyes:

I've read that the traditional way to eat it is simply in a bowl over some rice with the sauce on top. I remember something about a certain time of year when people eat a butt-load of it in Japan (maybe new years?).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom