"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 08-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO: TGI Friday's Jack Championship Sauce Clone/Derivative

Yes, the Jack Championship sauce. I went and had the BBQ Strip, and got hooked on the sauce. Now I want to make it at home.

Anyone happen to have a clone handy?

Thought not...

My impression would be that it's not a tomato based sauce. Not sure what the sauce is based on besides Jack... but it's not a thick sauce, so I'm thinking pineapple juice.

Anyway, I ID'd at least one ingredient beyond the Jack, crushed red pepper.

I've got a brand new liter bottle of Jack sitting on my counter, and I think I'm probably going to use a bit of it in testing...

Old 08-31-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Found this for you:
The Secret Recipe Forum - View Single Post - Request for TGI Friday's Jack Daniels Grill Glaze

Sure sounds good!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Well... It's a start... Think I'll try modifying that with a bit of crushed red pepper (as I'm sure that was in the championship sauce) and see where it goes... my experimentation wasn't going too well. Lets see if this does better.

Current test batch: Half volume test batch.
1/2 c Pineapple juice
1/4 c JD Black
1.5 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Replacing equal volume Tabasco
0.5 tsp Garlic Powder
0.5 tsp Onion Powder
2 TBs Worchestershire Sauce

-Combine Stir Soak 10 mins.

1 c Brown Sugar
1 tsp Salt No bullion cubes in the house... shame on me.

-Combine all in saucepan. Stir and bring to boil. Watch out for boil over. Reduce heat and Simmer 15 mins Stir occasionally.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Result:
Whoooooooooooooo. Dats a' Spicy Meat'a Ball'a. Good though. Probably cut the Red Pepper in half and change out the salt for an actual Bullion cube.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Result 2:
Still (hot) spicy, but not quite as strong though. Bullion Cube didn't change the flavor detectably (for me anyway). I might cut down on the Red Pepper some more... say down to a .5 teaspoon instead of .75. Possibly add some black pepper instead of the crushed red... say a batch with .25 tsp each in it.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
I'm definately trying that.

Has anyone made the exact recipe?

VaporTrail, did you see red pepper flakes in the sauce at Friday's?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef

The sauce was outstanding. I used some bourbon instead of Jack and basted the steaks after a couple minutes of searing so the sauce didn't burn. Only change I would make would be slightly less garlic powder.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Fairly certian that I saw red pepper in the sauce at TGIFs. The batch I tried with black pepper in it was good too. Wasn't anywhere near the amount of burn the first batch was. Used that on some steaks (seasoned with Paula Dean's House seasoning) after searing.

TASTY.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Senior Cook

New test batch. Figured that I could substitute a different acidic fruit juice... and so I present:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Daniels Grill Glaze:
Lynchburg Lemonade style

1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Jack Daniels whiskey
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper
2 TBsp Worchestershire sauce
1/8 - 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper

1 cup Dark Brown sugar
2 Bullion cubes

Combine (suggest in a measuring cup) Lemon Juice, whiskey, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Black pepper, Red pepper, and Worchestershire sauce. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes.

In a small saucepan, combine mixture above, brown sugar, and bullion cubes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.

Use as a sauce for grilled steak.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I basted this on a couple of Strip Steaks after searing and during the slow cook time (my standard pan sear and oven finish) and immediately after coming out. Also used it as a dipping sauce. Turned out VERY tasty. Back to the steak... mmmmmm.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Yes, the Jack Championship sauce. I went and had the BBQ Strip, and got hooked on the sauce. Now I want to make it at home.

Anyone happen to have a clone handy?
Are you talking about the original or the new sauce? They recently added the Championship sauce and the recipe posted is from 2004.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
Senior Cook

The Championship Sauce is what I was after... but the difference may be subtle.

I know I saw red pepper in the Champ sauce... and there may have been one or two other differences between that and the "normal" Jack sauce.

Anyway, the old sauce is a starting point that has lead in a tasty direction.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I have a new batch too....er....a new sauce actually but the Jack Daniels sauce was the inspiration:

1 T Canola Oil
3 T Onion, Minced
1 Clove Garlic, Minced and made into a paste
6 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 C Bourbon
1/2 C Dark Brown Sugar
1 T Smoked Paprika
1 T Worchestershire Sauce
1 t Tabasco
1 Beef Boullion Cube
Kosher Salt
1 t Fresh Black Pepper

In a saucepan, heat the oil and sweat the onion. Meanwhile, make a paste from the garlic using kosher salt. When the onion turns transparent add the garlic and continue to cook for a minute or two to cook out the rawness. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

I use this as a baste for grilled pork or beef. I thought the oinion and garlic powder in the original recipe were too overwhelming so I swapped them out for fresh ingredients.

Tags
None