"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 09-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Master Chef

ISO the right sauce

I'm experimenting again, probably re-inventing the wheel. The idea for a creamy, shrimp-stuffed manicotti popped into my head. Here's what I've done so far.
Ingredients:
8 oz. marscapone cheese
6 oz. large curd cottage cheese
36 pre-cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp (removed the tails)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. granulated onion powder
1 tbs. sugar
2 tbs. lemon juice

Blend all ingredients together. Correct the seasoning.

This part is made, but is very loose and creamy. I may add an egg before stuffing the shells and baking. I'm not sure yet.

What I'm looking for is something like a buerre blanc, but without the wine. We don't much care for the flavor of wine in our home. But I need a very light sauce that is buttery, smooth, creamy, and that won't overpower the delicate flavor of the filling. I'm going for sophisticated, but light and satisfying, all at the same time. I want it to be pretty as well.

I'm thinking about steaming some artichokes and making drawn butter to go with them, served as the companion side dish for the manicotti.

I know we have some extreme talent on DC. I'm hoping for 5-star flavor in this sauce and manicotti. I want to impress DW, especially after a dinner date last night that was supposed to be good, but gave us mediocre food at best. The special was a bistro steak with coconut shrimp and rice pilaf. Read that as tough eye of round with packaged rice, and overcooked, warehouse store coconut shrimp that was too sweet. I could have made hamburgers that tasted far better, at a small fraction of the cost. I think I'm done trying to find good food in this town.

Anyways, I'm hopping for something above the ordinary for tonight.
Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

"...buttery, smooth and creamy"

Sounds like Alfredo sauce to me. Leave out the parm if you like.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks Andy. I'm thinking cream, butter, lemon juice, salt. Maybe I'll look at derivatives of Bechemel Sauce as well, or maybe a veloute'. I'm definitely thinking French inspired.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 09-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

I would do a Newburg sauce, with a few shrimp scattered about and top it with some browned buttered bread or cracker crumbs.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If you haven't thrown out the shrimp shells yet, how about a fumet (fish stock)? I would probably season with a bit of dill. Reduce the fumet, add some butter to thicken and maybe some cream.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If you haven't thrown out the shrimp shells yet, how about a fumet (fish stock)? I would probably season with a bit of dill. Reduce the fumet, add some butter to thicken and maybe some cream.
All great ideas from everyone. Sadly, I purchased ready-cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp, something I rarely do. I have no shells to make a fumet from. No fumet, now veloute' Heavy sigh.

Besides, DW isn't big on veloute', or any sauce thickened with roux, heavier sigh.

I'll make something along the lines of a buerre blanc, as Sprout suggested on the phone, or maybe the Newburg sauce. I've saved several shrimp to do a rustic chop and put into the manicotti, just to give it more substance.

Oh, and this filling tastes great. It would be a great dip, or canape topping, especially if a little Old Bay, or cayenne pepper were added. Feel free to try it, experiment with it. It may just be a great topping for linguini, with some butter added.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like the idea of buerre blanc, adding in some capers.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Head Chef

Fish veloute, thickened with a mild swiss cheese.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Master Chef

Although I do not have any new ideas, I do like PF's suggestion for the capers. Along with, perhaps, a bit of lemon zest whether or not you're using the juice.

This made me chuckle:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
...Besides, DW isn't big on veloute', or any sauce thickened with roux, heavier sigh....
Just want you to know that if you were cooking for me, based on the recipes and suggestions you post, I'd eat a poached filet of sole...as in shoe! All you poor people with picky spouses that you cook for have my undying sympathy...and complete and total envy.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Although I do not have any new ideas, I do like PF's suggestion for the capers. Along with, perhaps, a bit of lemon zest whether or not you're using the juice.

This made me chuckle:

Just want you to know that if you were cooking for me, based on the recipes and suggestions you post, I'd eat a poached filet of sole...as in shoe! All you poor people with picky spouses that you cook for have my undying sympathy...and complete and total envy.
My second husband would eat anything I made and thought everything was a culinary delight. But there was one thing he made clear. No powdered eggs!!! He got enough of them in the service out on maneuvers. Then when we moved to Texas, I was given some powdered eggs. What in the world was I going to do with them? I had to hide them. Then one day I made up a batch and used it for French Toast. He thought it was the best French Toast her ever had. Voila! I had conquered the world. I never told him the truth. Oh what a deceptive wife he had.

Tags
other, sauce