"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
Head Chef

when i make a big pot of sauce, I am usually doing alot things also, so I forget to get back to it and stir etc. crockpot is good, if you leave the cover partiallly off as it cooks it makes steam making more water adding to the sauce. I have found after making it, put it in a oven proof pot and cook it in the oven. It reduces it nicely and mind comes out really nice. I then, let it cool and put in quart size freezer bags. It will defrost faster. I take it out in the morning - put in the fridge - when i get home alset to heat up . One hint tho put the bag in a bowl as one of my bags had a little hole in and leaked all over my fridge.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Master Chef

I think the easiest thig to do in the above situation is to simply add tomato paste. It will do the trick. Not everybody want to bother witth all day cooking even if it is in advance.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I use my electric pressure cooker, brown onions n meat etc add all bits n bods and no extra liquid. Cook for 20 - 30 minutes once up to steam depending how hungry we are I either allow it the further 15-20 mins to depressurise on its own or I will quick release. Bugger a slow cooker, pressure cookers are the kings of bolognaise and hot pots, stews, casseroles. The tougher the meat cut the better it cooks up in the pc.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I do the "all day simmer" method and freeze it. I also make tomato paste (which takes about 18 hours in a low oven) and freeze that. Not much help re: making a thick sauce in a hurry, but others have chimed in.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Whirl up a handful of sundried tomatoes in a food processor with a scoop of you runny sauce. Return it to the pot for a few minutes. As the dried tomatoes rehydrate the sauce will thicken up and there's the added benefit of the deeply rich flavor they will bring to the sauce.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H
Whirl up a handful of sundried tomatoes in a food processor with a scoop of you runny sauce. Return it to the pot for a few minutes. As the dried tomatoes rehydrate the sauce will thicken up and there's the added benefit of the deeply rich flavor they will bring to the sauce.
Nice suggestion yummo
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Cook

Here is a simple guide:
For 1 hour cooking or less: Do a simple marinara, and then add grounded beef/lamb/pork with some/substantial amount of white/red wine and reduce to taste. Never go above MEDIUM on your range temp.
For 2 hours or more: follow the Bolognese recipe of your choice. If you can understand Italian, the Giallo Zafferano web site has a video on how to make it with the original recipe from Bologna. Very tasty.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I never use ground meat in my red gravy. I use either stew meat or chuck roast, which at the end of cooking I take part or all of the meat and grind it up in my f/p I put this back into the gravy, I also add dried wild mushrooms that I've reconstituted straining the broth that the mushrooms give off to make my gravy a rich brown color we cook our gravy about 5-6 hours this can be done on a Sunday or weekend put into containers and frozen for future use. If you'd like my recipe I'd be glad to give it to you.
kadesma
Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I'm of the opinion that a good pasta sauce doesn't need to simmer for more than 10-20 minutes if you're using good tomatoes like Stanislaus 7-11 or Escalon 6in1.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb

I would use tomato puree instead of using tomatoes. I also agree with making a big batch of sauce and freezing. I make about 14 quarts every few months.

Tags
ground beef, recipe, spaghetti, sauce

ISO Thick Spaghetti Sauce in a Jiffy? A good hearty pasta sauce can take hours to stew, the best ones take all day in my opinion. But what about when you get home from work and don't want to cook for an hour? Everyone tells me crockpots are phenomenal but I don't know ill use it enough. anywho, im looking for tips on making my quickly made spaghetti sauce thicker. I use about a pound of ground beef, 3 cloves garlic, half of a medium onion and green pepper finely chopped. Sometimes diced tomatoes but I have to be careful because if I don't strain them well my sauce becomes thinner. I let it simmer for at least 20 min, stirring often. what else can I do? I tried adding cornstatch (1-2 tap) but it didbt seem to make a difference. Maybe adding more veggies?? 3 stars 1 reviews