"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Thick Spaghetti Sauce in a Jiffy?

A good hearty pasta sauce can take hours to stew, the best ones take all day in my opinion. But what about when you get home from work and don't want to cook for an hour? Everyone tells me crockpots are phenomenal but I don't know ill use it enough.
anywho, im looking for tips on making my quickly made spaghetti sauce thicker.
I use about a pound of ground beef, 3 cloves garlic, half of a medium onion and green pepper finely chopped. Sometimes diced tomatoes but I have to be careful because if I don't strain them well my sauce becomes thinner. I let it simmer for at least 20 min, stirring often.
what else can I do? I tried adding cornstatch (1-2 tap) but it didbt seem to make a difference. Maybe adding more veggies??

Old 06-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Rather than trying to artificially thicken a sauce quickly, I'd recommend making one of those "all day" sauces you mentioned and freeze it in meal-sized portions. Then all you'll have to do is defrost, heat and serve.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef

IMO cornstarch is a bad idea. I've never seen an Italian recipe that used it to thicken a sauce, although I hasten to add that I'm not an experienced Italian chef.

How about just plain reducing it? Just take the top/lid off and turn up the heat and stir it constantly to avoid burning the bottom and to keep the sauce venting? I've never seen any liquid I couldn't reduce, and you adjust the heat and stir frequently enough to avoid burning. Any recipe should get as thick as you want upon sufficient reduction.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Half Baked

Use whole canned toms and squeeze them good before chopping them.
Use a can or two of tamato paste instead of sauce. You can make it dry enough to add some wine!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

greg, i've never seen it a recipe either, but some italian professional chefs i know have mentioned using cornstarch, arrowroot, or even flour to quickly thicken up tomato sauces when starting with particularly watery fresh tomatoes.

i often use tomato paste to thicken sauce made from canned whole or crushed tomatoes. you can make a really good, fairly thick sauce in less than a half hour this way. just aggressively simmer the canned tomatoes and any additional dried herbs for 10 to 15 minutes uncovered -stirring frequently, then add a good coupla heaping tbsps of tomato paste, and stir in. you'll see it thicken up right away, and continue to get thicker as it simmers longer.

hth.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Buon Giorno,

50% Italian here, and has never heard of corn starch in a Red Tomato Sauce ...

There are several wonderful Bolognese Sauces on this forum written by Italians and / or by their Grandmom´s ... See Dianne´s, Luca Lazzari´s and See Mine in the Pasta Section if I am correct ... Luca is is a native from Lombardia and Dianne from Emilia Romagna - Bologna and My Grandmom was from Milanó, Lombardia ...

This sauce is freezable ... Easy to prepare and Fault-less ...

Another point; a lovely sauce and simple is Pesto ( posted in the Pasta Section ) :

fresh basil
Evoo
garlic
Salt
Pinenuts ( if you cannot find, use Walnuts )

Blend in a food processor or blender ...

Have a nice Monday.
Ciao, Margi Cintrano.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Cornstarch? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. But all of the above suggestions have merit. Just turn the heat up, stir frequently, but don't walk too far away from the stove.

The problem with cornstarch is that after sitting for a while, cornstarch tends to separate and all that thickness is gone. Flour leaves an aftertaste. Pasta sauce doesn't respond very well to thickners except tomato paste.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Buon Giorno Addie,

I am in agreement with Addie.

Tomato paste: the only tomato sauce thickener ...

Have a lovely Monday,
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Buon Giorno,

Sorry, I left out the R.P. ...

Oh Yes, the Pesto: needs Reggiano Parmesano added to the basil, Pinenuts, Evoo and garlic to make a paste like dip sauce, which is not runny nor liquidy ...

Off to work,
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by candorpants View Post
A good hearty pasta sauce can take hours to stew, the best ones take all day in my opinion. But what about when you get home from work and don't want to cook for an hour? Everyone tells me crockpots are phenomenal but I don't know ill use it enough.
anywho, im looking for tips on making my quickly made spaghetti sauce thicker.
I use about a pound of ground beef, 3 cloves garlic, half of a medium onion and green pepper finely chopped. Sometimes diced tomatoes but I have to be careful because if I don't strain them well my sauce becomes thinner. I let it simmer for at least 20 min, stirring often.
what else can I do? I tried adding cornstatch (1-2 tap) but it didbt seem to make a difference. Maybe adding more veggies??
Use the best tomatoes, i.e. large can of whole crushed - muir glen or imported (san marzano). You prob won't need a thickening agent, but if you do, add 1 - 2 TBL tomato paste (or a liittle honey of you need a sweetener). Sautee your garlic in some evoo, add some red pepper flakes, add tomatoes & simmer about 15 mins. Add fresh herbs, stir, & remove from stove.

Tags
ground beef, recipe, spaghetti, sauce

ISO Thick Spaghetti Sauce in a Jiffy? A good hearty pasta sauce can take hours to stew, the best ones take all day in my opinion. But what about when you get home from work and don't want to cook for an hour? Everyone tells me crockpots are phenomenal but I don't know ill use it enough. anywho, im looking for tips on making my quickly made spaghetti sauce thicker. I use about a pound of ground beef, 3 cloves garlic, half of a medium onion and green pepper finely chopped. Sometimes diced tomatoes but I have to be careful because if I don't strain them well my sauce becomes thinner. I let it simmer for at least 20 min, stirring often. what else can I do? I tried adding cornstatch (1-2 tap) but it didbt seem to make a difference. Maybe adding more veggies?? 3 stars 1 reviews