ISO Tomato Sauce recipe using garden tomatos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklyscott

Assistant Cook
I've done a search on this site and have looked through pages of results however I wasn't able to find a recipe that used garden tomatos. My garden is about ready to explode with some nice red gems and I'd like to make them into a nice sauce that I can freeze and use during the winter. Can anyone share any good recipes?

You can use any recipe. If you have a recipe that calls for a 16 ounce or 28 ounce can of tomatoes, just substitute the same weight of fresh tomatoes. You hold peel the fresh tomatoes before making a sauce.

fresh tomatos is the only way I make my suace.

what kind of tomatos?

I cut the tops off and deseed them. place them in a corning ware dish with the top up. Drizzle olive oil, and them put chopped garlic, and italian seasoning in the tomatos. then roast them in the oven till the skin is all wrinkley.

put in a blender or food processor (careful its very hot) and puree until its the consistancy you like. I like mine thick.

I do this as my tomatos ripen and then freeze it. To finish it ill usually take all my frozen batches and throw it in a pot and add some roasted garlic, touch up the seasoning and herbs and usually add some tomato paste and if I want to extend it ill add some of the canned stuff. the fresh tomato flavor is strong so diluting it a bit with canned stuff isnt so bad.

hope my ramblings helped.

Important thing you have to make sure tomatoe are fully ripened. Otherwise it will not taste so good. otherwise I like sugestion above.

Remove seeds. Heat some olive oil and cook some garlic (on low, so it won't burn). I use a fair amount of olive oil - it is a part of the sauce as much as the tomato (not quantity wise, but you want a bit more olive oil in there than just enough to cook the garlic in). Once the garlic has cooked a bit add your tomatoes and reduce slowly until your sauce has thickened a bit. Remove from heat and add a fair amount of basil chiffonade. Let cool and refrigerate.

Now, I have never frozen this so I do not know how the basil will freeze i.e., will it turn black? Maybe the basil would have to be added at the time you are making to sit down and eat right then. A few kalamata olives are also good in this. Not many, just a few and leave them whole but remove seeds.

Of course salt goes in there too.

I've done a search on this site and have looked through pages of results however I wasn't able to find a recipe that used garden tomatos. My garden is about ready to explode with some nice red gems and I'd like to make them into a nice sauce that I can freeze and use during the winter. Can anyone share any good recipes?

Scott, you can try my recipe here. The recipe calls for roma/plum tomatoes, but I've used all kinds of tomatoes quite successfully. Whenever a recipe calls for canned tomato sauce, I use mine. It's really good. It's also good on its own as a pasta sauce.

me too Katie, I was just reading you dinner plans and I was going to ask for you canning sauce recipe... you know... in case I ever get a red tomato this year.....
:(

Important thing you have to make sure tomatoe are fully ripened. Otherwise it will not taste so good. otherwise I like sugestion above.

At our last chili cook-off, I made both a red chili and a white one. In the red, I used 16 lbs. of ripened tomatoes to make 3 gallons of chili. In the white, I used 16 lbs. of green tomatoes. I countered the sour flavor of the green tomatoes with coriander and cummin, along with plenty of sliced onion, celery, celery leaves, cilantro, chili powder, 1 quart of cream, and beans. It was very well received, and very tasty.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can use the ripe and the green tomatoes. Green tomatoes are also great for making hash, fried green tomatoes, and can be used with avacadoes in guacamole. The acidity will help keep the guacamole from turning brown.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

;)Just out of curiosity, what do you use when you make tomato sauce sicklyscott?

Here's my recipe. I take my stock pot out to the garden. I fill it with tomatoes. Then get another half a pot of bell, Hungarian wax and whatever other peppers I have growing, onions and garlic, lots of garlic. That way I know I have enough. Then I will wash and core the tomatoes. Cut them in half or quarters. Clean all the other vegetables and chop it up with some fresh oregano or basil Then with a case of beer and a TV nearby I place all the ingredients in the pot (washed and cleaned of course), add about a pint of water to prevent scortching and set it on the grill or my turkey fryer cooker and let it all begin to cook down. After about 2 to 3 hours I will strain it and let it cook some more. When the beer runs out it is about done. Then I will let the sauce sit overnight and decant the clear liquid off the next day. I will freeze it in 1 lb freezer bags. This is my basic tomato stock and I can't think of a better way to spend a late summer afternoon.:-p

;)Just out of curiosity, what do you use when you make tomato sauce sicklyscott?

That's exactly it, I DON"T make tomato sauce :LOL: This will be my first time. My father has made it several times but he's far from a "foodee". This is the first summer in NJ where i've had my own garden so I'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks for all your replies everyone, keep them coming!

I'd be tempted to try Katie's SS. The others are all good but she has the most exact instructions, which is good for a "first time". Also, she didn't just make this once - she has been making it for years...which, in my book, equates to it must be good if she keeps making it! :LOL:

Here's my recipe. I take my stock pot out to the garden. I fill it with tomatoes. Then get another half a pot of bell, Hungarian wax and whatever other peppers I have growing, onions and garlic, lots of garlic. That way I know I have enough. Then I will wash and core the tomatoes. Cut them in half or quarters. Clean all the other vegetables and chop it up with some fresh oregano or basil Then with a case of beer and a TV nearby I place all the ingredients in the pot (washed and cleaned of course), add about a pint of water to prevent scortching and set it on the grill or my turkey fryer cooker and let it all begin to cook down. After about 2 to 3 hours I will strain it and let it cook some more. When the beer runs out it is about done. Then I will let the sauce sit overnight and decant the clear liquid off the next day. I will freeze it in 1 lb freezer bags. This is my basic tomato stock and I can't think of a better way to spend a late summer afternoon.:-p

:LOL:....as long as you don't decide to add a little to the recipe as my dad was known to do this. We kids didn't care because that meant we'd get McDonalds which was always a treat.

So last night I made the recipe that Katie (I think thats what her name is) posted a link to on page 1. I took 3 lbs of my garden tomatos, seeded them and then roasted them in the oven for about 30 mins as suggested. After putting them in the blender and what not the sauce seemed a little runny so I let it simmer for a bit. I then decided to make this a pasta sauce and added some turkey sausage with the casings removed, some fresh oregano, parsley and a bit more basil, let that simmer for about 30 minutes, crumbled up the sausage and added about 1/4 bottle wine, then let that simmer for another 15 minutes. The sauce tasted wonderful!

Next time around I'm going to add another lb of tomato and try and use less of the liquid.

I usually use the roasted tomatos and use it at a base.

end up hitting it in a pot with some more garlic, some type of pork fat, sausage pepperoni, ground beef etc.....

Last edited by a moderator:
So last night I made the recipe that Katie (I think thats what her name is) posted a link to on page 1. I took 3 lbs of my garden tomatos, seeded them and then roasted them in the oven for about 30 mins as suggested. After putting them in the blender and what not the sauce seemed a little runny so I let it simmer for a bit. I then decided to make this a pasta sauce and added some turkey sausage with the casings removed, some fresh oregano, parsley and a bit more basil, let that simmer for about 30 minutes, crumbled up the sausage and added about 1/4 bottle wine, then let that simmer for another 15 minutes. The sauce tasted wonderful!

Next time around I'm going to add another lb of tomato and try and use less of the liquid.

Glad you liked it, Scott. It's not meant to be a thick sauce, just a "foundation" or "building block" to use in other recipes or as a good start for a pasta sauce as you already discovered. I like to eat it right out of the jar.

Any time a recipe calls for canned tomato sauce, I use this sauce instead. It's amazing how it gives life to the recipes I use it in. Have fun with it.

Back
Top Bottom