Katie's Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I developed this recipe quite a few years ago and use it in any recipe that calls for commercially-canned tomato sauce. I try to have plenty of it on my pantry shelves and to give as gifts. It's good on it's own over pasta, too. Enjoy!

KATIE’S OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
(Makes about 3 cups)

5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 lbs. Roma or plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise in halves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons

Generously brush a large baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
Season the cut sides of the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Place, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Brush the skins with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bake in a preheated 450º until the tomato skins are lightly browned and the tomatoes are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely. Pull the skins off the tomatoes and discard.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic and red pepper in a small skillet over medium heat until the garlic has softened but has not browned, about 2 minutes. Puree the tomatoes, pan juices and garlic oil in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Process until the basil is uniformly distributed through the sauce. Note: The sauce can be prepared up to 3 days ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated or frozen for up to 2 months. It can also be canned using a water-bath. Fill clean sterilized jars, leaving ½-inch head space. Process pints for 15 minutes.

Thanks Katie

Thanks for the tomato sauce recipe, Katie. I have scads of tomatoes, they're not romas or plums, just regular old garden variety, but I'll try it with them anyway...KitchenRocker.

Thanks for the recipe KatieE....I've cut and pasted it. Whats the best way to freeze it so it doesn't get those ice crystals on it?

Thanks for the recipe KatieE....I've cut and pasted it. Whats the best way to freeze it so it doesn't get those ice crystals on it?

You can freeze it in heavy-duty Ziploc bags, making sure to expel as much air as possible or you can freeze it in jars or Tupperware containers, allowing head space for expansion. Never had any trouble with ice crystals though.

I haven't frozen any in a long time. I usually can it because I don't always have enough freezer space.

You can freeze it in heavy-duty Ziploc bags, making sure to expel as much air as possible or you can freeze it in jars or Tupperware containers, allowing head space for expansion. Never had any trouble with ice crystals though.

I haven't frozen any in a long time. I usually can it because I don't always have enough freezer space.

Thanks Katie! I have a vaccum sealer but with the bags I won't be able to use it. I kick myself for not getting the vaccum seal containers when I bought it. I def. give this a try with the heavy duty ziploc bags though. Thanks again.

I've made tomato sauce with oven roasted tomatoes and my recipe is almost identical to Katie's. Once you make this sauce you may never go back to regular tomato sauce again. If the tomatoes are vine ripened, in season from a farm market all the better. When I make this I make a lot of it and freeze it for winter when tomatoes in the store have no taste. :) I just use the Rubbermaid 2 cup containers.

I make that every year, Katie, and we love the stuff. I chop an onion and sprinkle that and a good amount of garlic over the top of the tomatoes, and sprinkle with some dried oregano. Man, does that make the kitchen smell good!
I like your idea of removing the tomato skins by hand. I usually run them through a food mill, but I wanted to freeze some in halves, and that would be the way to go.

Thanks Katie! I have a vaccum sealer but with the bags I won't be able to use it. I kick myself for not getting the vaccum seal containers when I bought it. I def. give this a try with the heavy duty ziploc bags though. Thanks again.

I have the vac sealer with the containers, but you can't freeze them. Put the sauce in a bag and clamp the opening and freeze. When frozen use the vac sealer it should be fine. I've done it numerous times. Mine also has the button for wet ingredients so it doesn't get sucked up, I very seldom use it.

Barb

It's no big trick to press the air out of the ziplocks. You can even cut a straw in half and suck the air out if you want to get fancy.

Thanks, my tomatoes are just starting to turn red and I'm going to need to get busy canning!

Back
Top Bottom