"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Tomato Sauce for your lasagna: Crushed Tomato and Tomato Sauce is a great combination. NO SALT needed. Season with pepper, little oregano,little basil, little parsley. LOTS of fresh garlic...saute in EVOO.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Kosher salt in and of itself isn't less salty tasting. As discussed before, it has a larger crystal size. If you measure out a teaspoon of kosher salt and dissolve it in a cup of water and do the same with table salt, the kosher-salted water would be less salty-tasting. But that's not because the kosher salt itself is less salty, it's because less salt fit into the teaspoon and thus less salt is in the water.

I was always told that it's less salty-tasting than regular salt.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I was always told that it's less salty-tasting than regular salt.
Corey, that myth exists because of the difference in grain size for kosher vs. table salt. Because table salt has a finer grain, more salt will fit into a tablespoon (smaller airspaces between the finer grains).

The coarser grain of kosher salt results in a tablespoon's holding less salt because of larger air spaces between the coarser grains.

As a result, a tablespoon of table salt will make a pot of sauce (or whatever) saltier than a tablespoon of kosher salt, creating the myth.

Alternatively, an equal weight of either salt will have the same effect. A gram or ounce of table salt and a gram or ounce of kosher salt will add equal saltiness to a dish.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #24
Sous Chef

But I think there is a difference in the actual taste. It may not be "saltiness", but the chemical taste from Morton's that is more pronounced. That is the way I perceive it, anyway.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Kosher salt, in a lot of instances, can be used in a recipe that calls for it.

But I've seen where it has been used to completely cover a whole fish before baking it. To form a thick crust over the fish while it bakes.

Which lead me to believe that it's not really that salty. Otherwise the fish would be so salty that it would be much too unbearable to eat.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #26
Master Chef

I cook up some good Italian sausage, add it to 2-3 jars of Prego, and simmer for a while. Sometimes I add mushrooms and/or olives.
If Prego is too sweet for you, try Bertolli...tastes like the sauce Mrs.Temporiti used to make.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #27
Executive Chef

That may be ok, but trust me, there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, quite like making your own sauce!

I do it all the time. I like to slow-simmer it on the stove over low heat for at least 3 - 4 hours. This helps to insure that the sauce doesn't stick and burn on the bottom, because if you try to rush and cook it with high heat, it won't have a chance to marry all the ingredients together. This goes fot all tomato sauces, even marinara.

To me, the longer you let it cook, the more it brings out all that homemade goodness and Italian flavor.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #28
Master Chef

Corey, time was, I'd never have thought of feeding my family jarred tomato sauce. I even grew my own tomatoes (Romas for canning) and did everything from scratch.

Time and age change all things. Thing being, the family never even noticed the difference.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Yeah, I realise that things change and people may change the way they prepare their meals, but I just like to make momemade sauces for pasta.

I've always done it that way at home and even after we all left home and went on our own.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Kosher salt, in a lot of instances, can be used in a recipe that calls for it.

But I've seen where it has been used to completely cover a whole fish before baking it. To form a thick crust over the fish while it bakes.

Which lead me to believe that it's not really that salty. Otherwise the fish would be so salty that it would be much too unbearable to eat.
Corey, Corey, Corey!!!

The salt is on the skin and is dry so it never reaches the flesh you are going to eat. You could make the same salt crust with table salt. It's not there for flavor but to insulate the fish and provice gentle heat and seal in the moisture.

Tags
None