"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Don't get so upset. Why do you guys always have to shout at me? If I did that to you, you would not like it, so please don't do it to me.

Only telling you what I've seen. And I NEVER ONCE said that it was there for flavor. And yes, I DID see it put on the fish dry.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Don't get so upset. Why do you guys always have to shout at me? If I did that to you, you would not like it, so please don't do it to me.

Only telling you what I've seen. And I NEVER ONCE said that it was there for flavor. And yes, I DID see it put on the fish dry.

Corey, I'm not upset with you and wasn't shouting at you.

I was responding to your comment that you assumed since the salty crust didn't make the fish really salty, kosher salt wasn't as salty as other salts.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I think I'll leave this one alone now.

It's obvious that we don't agree which each other on this issue.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #34
Head Chef

Good grief, this forum is getting tough.

I was criticized for putting hot sauce in my tomato sauce. Something about being un-Italian.

Cannot figure that one out since I did not claim it to be Italian at all, just stated that it is what I add to my sauce. Glad I did not mention some of the other bits I toss in, may have had the sauce police at my door.

Could not live that shame down.

As an ex-chemist and oceanographer, and just sort of a curious person, I can tell you that all the salt we have, and always will have, comes from the ocean. The only difference between the salts is when it was laid down.

If it comes from mines and is crushed it has one form, if someone has taken the time to let the sea dry out to crystals it takes a different form.

And the density is different. And if someone thinks he or she can taste the difference, God bless them. I cannot,but my taste has been altered by inhaling many chemical fumes.

But I doubt anyone could taste the difference if the stuff was dumped into a sauce.

But I am getting off the topic. And that is I like this forum, really do. And the folks who are the denizens.

If Sushi, who I think is great, should post a recipe with bananas, well I hate those things. And would just pass.

Or if someone posts a recipe that I think is a disaster, I just move on. Nothing to be seen here folks.

We are talking about cooking, not politics or religion. Although I can talk to folks about either of those subjects without rancor,

But, again, this is a cooking forum.

And if you have an idea about doing something with a food, other than the darned banana, I will listen to it, repectfully.

And thank you for your idea.

That is all I have to say.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Corey123, I am with you. I look forward to making my tomato sauce. Homemade. YES.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Thanks. Nothing like it!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Corey123, YES and it's easy and worth the time. I usually make a large batch use some and freeze some.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Yes, you've read my mind, because I do the same thing!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #39
Sous Chef

First, yes I also make my own lasagna/spagetti sauce.
I use kosher salt because I like to.

Aunt Dot said, among other thingsabout where salt comes from But I doubt anyone could taste the difference if the stuff was dumped into a sauce.

This is the crux of the saltiness "problem". The various salts--even the very expensive fleur de sel--taste like "salt" when in the sauce. BUT they are measured differently because of their structure so you'd better know how much kosher salt to add instead of MOrton's. And even "Morton's" can be used to make a salt crust for fish--or as we did for a camping meal, a roast beef encrusted in a mustard/salt crust.
And no one is yelling.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Thank you!

Tags
None