Leftover Burgundy/Port Wine Gravy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
So - I already have plans for the leftover Xmas Roast Goose & dumplings, both of which don't involve the quart of leftover Burgundy/Port Wine gravy.

It's more Burgundy than Port, so isn't sickeningly sweet or anything. Just wondering what I can do with goose-juice wine-infused gravy complete with chunks of veggies (carrots/celery/onions).

I'm already thinking I can pour some over rice &/or noodles to accompany a roast duck or chicken. Any other creative ideas?

save (even freeze) till you make a pot pie (pork would work fine) with a cheddar cheese crust or dumplings.

LOL - well, my suggestion was taken very first thing! I was going to say use a bit of it when you make a pot pie. I make a deep dish one with lots and lots of veggies (broccoli, leeks, carrots, peas, some sort of poultry/meat, of course) and a bechemel/parmesan cheese-type concoction. The gravy would be a nice, rich addition. Just don't use all gravy as it will be sickening rich. I did that one year with some left-over turkey gravy - people loved it...I could tell the difference though.

Hmmmm - you know, I'm wondering if, since it's not truly sweet, if it might not make an interesting pseudo-Coq Au Vin base. I could brown some bone-in chicken thighs in extra-virgin olive oil, & then braise them in the wine gravy (which I could thin with some additional Burgundy if necessary) along with the traditional pearl onions & mushrooms. Serve over buttered egg noodles. Green salad on the side. Hmmmm. . . . .

Well guys - last night I pulled out the quart of frozen leftover wine gravy from the Xmas goose & utilized it for an impromptu "Coq au Vin", & it turned out. . . . FANTASTIC!!

I blanched & peeled a small net bag of pearl onions & sauteed them in some extra-virgin olive oil, along with 8 oz. of quartered white button mushrooms & 8 oz. of quartered Cremini mushrooms in a Dutch oven. Transferred all to a bowl. Then diced up 4 slices of turkey bacon & sauteed that in the same pot. Removed bacon to the bowl with the veggies. Added one package of chicken thighs (skin on, bone in), seasoned with salt & pepper, & browned them 5 minutes on each side. Removed to another bowl. Added frozen block of wine gravy to pan & allowed to melt down over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Added veggies & bacon back in, stirred & nestled chicken thighs in on top. Baked in a 350-degree oven for 40 minutes to finish cooking & served on a bed of egg noodles with a side of organic baby carrots tossed with butter & fresh tarragon.

What a wonderful way to make use of yet another Xmas leftover. That one goose gave us Xmas dinner, leftover Xmas dinner, New Year's Day Cassoulet, leftover New Year's Day Cassoulet, & now a nice Coq au Vin.

Back
Top Bottom