Luca’s garlic sauces from Liguria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luca Lazzari

Sous Chef
I’m a lucky man: my uncle owns a nice house in Celle Ligure, in the Ligurian Riviera, so I can go to the sea once in a while without spending a fortune. Well, this is not correct: I invest wisely in restaurants what I save from hotels…
Pesto is probably the most known Ligurian recipe worldwide, but there are a lot of other wonderful recipes to be discovered along the Ponente and Levante coastlines.
Here I’ll propose you some sauces, my friends, prepared with mortar and pestle, all based on the heavy use of the beloved garlic (aglio in Italian) and a few other ingredients. Very fast and easy, and so tasty.

Aggiadda
Ingredients (4 serving)
8 cloves peeled garlic, 1 glass white wine vinegar, ½ glass white dry wine, salt, 1 cup of mollica (the soft part of the bread)
Grind the garlic in the mortar until you obtain a paste, then moisten the mollica with vinegar, squeeze it a little, add it to the mortar and grind the mixture. Add salt and wine, then stir the sauce with a wooden spoon to produce a uniform cream. Put the sauce in a small saucepan and cook it for some minute on medium heat to thicken it.

You can serve aggiadda with boiled meat or fish.

Agliata di Vessalico
Ingredients (4 serving)
2 cloves peeled garlic, 1 yolk, 1 glass extravirgin olive oil, salt.
Grind the garlic in the mortar to produce a creamy mixture. Add salt and yolk. Stir it thoroughly with a wooden spoon, then add the oil, very slowly, always stirring. The resulting sauce must be quite firm. Add salt and serve.

Vessalico is a very small village near Albenga, and is famous for the production of an ancient, organic variety of garlic: aglio di Vessalico. You can serve this sauce with boiled vegetables or on top of toasted bread.

Agliata genovese
Ingredients (4 serving)
4 cloves peeled garlic, 2 tablespoons wine vinegar, ½ glass extravirgin olive oil, salt.
Grind the garlic in the mortar to produce a paste, then add vinegar and grind again. When you have a smooth mixture, add oil and salt, stir and serve.

This agliata is usually served with boiled food, like meat, fish, potatoes or vegetables.

Pesto d’aglio di Pentema
Ingredients (4 serving)
4 cloves peeled garlic, 50 g pine nuts, 50 g grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, 4 tablespoons cream, 1 glass extravirgin olive oil, salt
Grind garlic and pine nuts in the mortar to produce a smooth mixture. Add the cheese, stir well, then add the cream. Stir well again, add salt, then add the oil, very slowly, always stirring.

You can use this sauce to dress ravioli, pasta or boiled vegetables.

These sound wonderful, Luca! I have copied them for the next time I need inspiration! Grazie!

These sound wonderful, Luca! I have copied them for the next time I need inspiration! Grazie!

Nice, nice, Luca! C&P!

You're welcome! I'm wondering about taking a virtual tour of Italian coastline, starting from northwestern Liguria, in search of other mortar and pestle sauces. However, next step will be some anchovies sauces, again from Liguria. :)

Buongiorno Lucky Luca,

Signature Ligurian sauces ! Lucky you ...

Yes, Liguria has quite stunner craggy coast underscoring France´s border and Tuscana´s tip ...

I am going to try your Pesto on Saturday for lunch. The other 3 are on the TO DO LIST FOR JUNE !

Thanks so much for posting them, and have fun !

Kindest, Grazie, e Sempre,
Ciao,

Margi.

Luca,

I have a Genovese Pesto in the Pasta Section from Genoa, and I also have a Pollo al Pesto ( interesting dish, stuffed breasts which have an incision of 1 inch pocket for the stuffing with pesto ) in Ethnic or chicken, I forget ...

ANCHOVIES: cannot wait to see these Ligurian specialties !!!

Kindest,
Margi.

Last edited:
Thanks Margi.
The last time I used pesto, I used it to top my homemade pizza... Not bad. About home made pizza, after many attempts I decided to get back to the pizzeria...:glare:

You're welcome! I'm wondering about taking a virtual tour of Italian coastline, starting from northwestern Liguria, in search of other mortar and pestle sauces. However, next step will be some anchovies sauces, again from Liguria. :)

Anchovy sauces, would like those, too! Thanks, Luca!

yummy.....i love garlic served with deep fried fish. I will try the Aggliada.
There is a sauce similar to this in Greece and they call it Alliada too, but they do not cook it.
This sounds interesting and delicious.
Thanks for sharing ...

Luca: Ligurian Pasta Varieties Piccage e Corzetti

:) Buonasera Lucky Luca,

Your sauces especially the 4th Pesto variety sounds absolutely divino.

When we were in Liguria, we had the above two pasta varieties ... Your sauces are perfect for these.

*** Have you had these ?

Liguria appearing like a rippling flag underscoring the coast, is a lovely land with profound green valleys which possess micro climate ... Nice region ...

Have a blast !
Ciao,
M.C.;)

Last edited:
Luca,

Barry, one of the D.C. Members had tried my pizza dough back in April, and loved the results... However, you are NOT patient as you, yourself have mentioned to me.

Thus, if you are not patient and do not let the Yeast do its thing, how can you expect a masterpiece ?

Roma was not built in a day !

Look up: Barry´s Pizza Thread and the recipe was sent to Barry via reply post, not a thread of its own ...

Thanks for posting the sauces and all about ur lovely trip,
Ciao.
Margi.

Last edited:
Anchovy sauces, would like those, too! Thanks, Luca!

You're welcome! In a couple of days I'll publish them. Before, I'm writing a simple recipe for guinea fowl au vin... It was delicious.

yummy.....i love garlic served with deep fried fish. I will try the Aggliada.
There is a sauce similar to this in Greece and they call it Alliada too, but they do not cook it.
This sounds interesting and delicious.
Thanks for sharing ...

This is interesting, Souvlaki, around the Mediterranean there are probably many similar recipes in different countries. For example in Côte d'Azur they make pissaladière, in Liguria they make piscialandrea.

:) Buonasera Lucky Luca,

Your sauces especially the 4th Pesto variety sounds absolutely divino.

When we were in Liguria, we had the above two pasta varieties ... Your sauces are perfect for these.

*** Have you had these ?

Liguria appearing like a rippling flag underscoring the coast, is a lovely land with profound green valleys which possess micro climate ... Nice region ...

Ciao Margi, yes I tried both picagge and corzetti: I LOVE corzetti!

And Liguria is one of the most beautiful places on the Italian seas. Beautiful towns, wonderful small villages, nice food and wine. Best not to visit in july or august, though.

Back
Top Bottom