"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I really liked her idea because of the simplicity of making a quick but delicious gravy.

She mentioned her daughter coming over for dinner often, but the daughter wanted her to buy gravy mix packets.

I can see why she'd rather have toasted flour on hand.

A head start on roux came immediately to mind.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I really liked her idea because of the simplicity of making a quick but delicious gravy.

She mentioned her daughter coming over for dinner often, but the daughter wanted her to buy gravy mix packets.

I can see why she'd rather have toasted flour on hand.

A head start on roux came immediately to mind.
I would add water or even milk to the flour for a slurry to add to the juices and liquid in the pan.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would add water or even milk to the flour for a slurry to add to the juices and liquid in the pan.
Exactly!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
First things first. I know of no "Southern Ladies" that brown the flour or even use brown gravy. LOL.
Here in the south its white gravy with the occasional sausage added and poured over biscuits.
I take anything I hear here very lightly as I have met very few people that actually know how to cook.
If you want to learn about Souther cooking, maybe you should make an effort to meet more Southern ladies. They are the ones who know how to really cook!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
First things first. I know of no "Southern Ladies" that brown the flour or even use brown gravy. LOL.
Here in the south its white gravy with the occasional sausage added and poured over biscuits.
I take anything I hear here very lightly as I have met very few people that actually know how to cook.

After reading this post, I take what you say about the south lightly. You can't make a gumbo without a roux, which requires browning flour.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #16
Master Chef

OK, just to lighten the mood a bit about browning flour in an iron skillet, I have another take on the subject.

When I was a new mom, my sweet southern grandmother told me to brown up some flour in an iron skillet to cure my baby's diaper rash. It worked like a charm when no fancy medicines had. I floured up his little bum with that browned flour and he was cured in a couple of days. Maybe it had something to do with it being browned in an iron skillet.

Anyway, carry on......

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So are you saying all the recipes that have been posted in this forum are just crap? Considering that is such a broad statement, does that include all of the members of this forum?
I think he meant "here" in his area of the South.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
After reading this post, I take what you say about the south lightly. You can't make a gumbo without a roux, which requires browning flour.
Same here. RB, you continually speak as if where you are and who you know are the be-all end-all of Southern cooking. I think your experience with Southern cooks is very limited and it's unfortunate that you've generalized that experience to everyone in the South.

The South includes 16 states, not just South Carolina, or your little corner of South Carolina.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Same here. RB, you continually speak as if where you are and who you know are the be-all end-all of Southern cooking. I think your experience with Southern cooks is very limited and it's unfortunate that you've generalized that experience to everyone in the South.

The South includes 16 states, not just South Carolina, or your little corner of South Carolina.
Heck, even certain items vary just from area to area within the same state. I've read discussions on barbecue in the Carolinas and folks in one part of a state are adamant that folks in the next county are doing it all wrong.

If there can be that much variability within a state, then how much variety must there be when crossing state lines?
Old 06-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
One of the reasons to make a roux instead of just adding flour is because the raw taste of the flour gets cooked out more quickly in a roux than in something water based. Fat gets to a higher temperature than water, when using a skillet. If you brown the flour in the oven, then it gets rid of the raw taste. Then, you can use it in a slurry without having to cook the gravy for a long time to get rid of that raw taste. I think it is a very clever idea, especially if you are try to cut down on fats.

Tags
flour. gravy, gravy, other, roux