"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hopefully, Kay didn't use it in the gravy!

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 AM   #32
Master Chef

My sweet southern grandma would love the chuckles. My son's sore little baby bum is likely not as cute as it was 50 years ago.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Here in my part of the South, turkey and beef gravy made with a browned roux are not uncommon. By definition, white or milk gravy isn't made with browned flour, but that's not the only gravy Southerners make. See: Gumbo.
I have had brown gravy and chicken gravy here in my part of the state. Its just that white seems to be the one I see the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And in rebuttal I have know a lot of southern ladies that made brown gravy for their chicken fried steak. Why would I want a white gravy for a piece of beef?
I know none that use brown gravy for chicken fried anything. Its white on fried food in the south. Sorry, your in NE. how would you know anyway?

Quote:
So are you saying all the recipes that have been posted in this forum are just crap? Considering that is such a broad statement, does that include all of the members of this forum?
You are seriously a terrible reader or harbor negative feelings toward me. I said nothing of the sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
If you want to learn about Souther cooking, maybe you should make an effort to meet more Southern ladies. They are the ones who know how to really cook!
I married a southern lady, I raised 4 southern lady daughters and have lots of southern lady friends.
I stand by my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
After reading this post, I take what you say about the south lightly. You can't make a gumbo without a roux, which requires browning flour.
No one makes gumbo in SC and if they do, they most likely came from Louisiana. I have never see gumbo on any southern style restaurant menu and know of no one including my self that makes gumbo. I do love gumbo BTW.
Once again, where do you live?

Quote:
I think he meant "here" in his area of the South.
Thanks GG.

Quote:
Same here. RB, you continually speak as if where you are and who you know are the be-all end-all of Southern cooking. I think your experience with Southern cooks is very limited and it's unfortunate that you've generalized that experience to everyone in the South.
The South includes 16 states, not just South Carolina, or your little corner of South Carolina.
I speak from personal experience and I think you guys have very thin skin.
I have never been in a group that was so touchy.
Geez, lighten up a little.

I agree I do lump most of the south into one big bowl and that is wrong. But I can only go by what I experience personally. I am sorry my personal taste and thinking does not jive with yours.
And for the record, you can be pretty good at being a "know it all" your self.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
...No one makes gumbo in SC and if they do, they most likely came from Louisiana. I have never see gumbo on any southern style restaurant menu and know of no one including my self that makes gumbo. I do love gumbo BTW.

...I speak from personal experience...
I have no issue with your speaking from personal experience. My issue is that you tend to present your personal experience as the gospel for the entire region.

Where I live is not really relevant to the discussion. It's what I know about regional cooking. You may "...never see gumbo on any southern style restaurant menu and know of no one including my self that makes gumbo." but that doesn't mean no one anywhere in the south ever makes brown gravy. There's more to southern cooking than what happens in your part of SC.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

Heh. I can see it. Hold baby over pan of melted fat, shake well...
Old 06-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have had brown gravy and chicken gravy here in my part of the state. Its just that white seems to be the one I see the most.

I know none that use brown gravy for chicken fried anything. Its white on fried food in the south. Sorry, your in NE. how would you know anyway?

You are seriously a terrible reader or harbor negative feelings toward me. I said nothing of the sort.

I married a southern lady, I raised 4 southern lady daughters and have lots of southern lady friends.
I stand by my comments.

No one makes gumbo in SC and if they do, they most likely came from Louisiana. I have never see gumbo on any southern style restaurant menu and know of no one including my self that makes gumbo. I do love gumbo BTW.

Thanks GG.

I agree I do lump most of the south into one big bowl and that is wrong. But I can only go by what I experience personally. I am sorry my personal taste and thinking does not jive with yours.
Your comment that I don't know about southern. Well I lived in South Texas for a number of years. So I do know about southern cooking. That is where I learned to make my brown gravy southern style. I haven't spent my whole life here in Boston.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I have no issue with your speaking from personal experience. My issue is that you tend to present your personal experience as the gospel for the entire region.

Where I live is not really relevant to the discussion. It's what I know about regional cooking. You may "...never see gumbo on any southern style restaurant menu and know of no one including my self that makes gumbo." but that doesn't mean no one anywhere in the south ever makes brown gravy. There's more to southern cooking than what happens in your part of SC.
^^This.

RB, I won't say anymore because you have already been dog piled.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:

I can agree with you on this Andy. I can sometimes be quite animated. My apologies.

Quote:
Your comment that I don't know about southern. Well I lived in South Texas for a number of years. So I do know about southern cooking. That is where I learned to make my brown gravy southern style. I haven't spent my whole life here in Boston.
I'm from Miami, so I'm no expert in southern cooking.
I just do not see much brown gravy here in my particular area.
White gravy seems to be the most used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

RB, I won't say anymore because you have already been dog piled.
I know..... They set me straight though!
Old 06-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have had brown gravy and chicken gravy here in my part of the state. Its just that white seems to be the one I see the most...

What you said is this:
Quote:
First things first. I know of no "Southern Ladies" that brown the flour or even use brown gravy. LOL.
Here in the south its white gravy with the occasional sausage added and poured over biscuits.
Good of you to admit you're wrong. I'm not touchy or thin-skinned. I don't like to see inaccuracies is all. If you only go by what you personally experience, you're not learning much apparently. And I don't expect anyone's personal taste to jibe with mine. It's just inaccurate to say that your experience defines southern cooking.

Quote:
Very gentlemanly of you.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
No one died from my cooking or even got sick.
You're not trying hard enough!

Tags
flour. gravy, gravy, other, roux