"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I read that a while ago. I was curious about the name, 'cause it just seemed like beef schnitzel to me. And basically, that's what it is.
When I visited Austin, Texas, a couple of years ago, I was surprised to learn that many Germans immigrated into Texas in the 1840s because of political strife in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Once Texas became a U.S. state, the government actively sought to bring European settlers to build up the non-Mexican population. Of course, they brought their cooking traditions with them, including schnitzel

Old 06-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #62
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When I visited Austin, Texas, a couple of years ago, I was surprised to learn that many Germans immigrated into Texas in the 1840s because of political strife in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Once Texas became a U.S. state, the government actively sought to bring European settlers to build up the non-Mexican population. Of course, they brought their cooking traditions with them, including schnitzel
Texas has a very German heritage:

Old 06-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Not only can you brown your flour but you can also smoke it and give it more flavor.
really!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #64
Senior Cook

Flour that has been heated by itself until slightly browned or beyond slightly has been 'dextrinized'. I believe I have posted here suggesting when you make a roux you dextrinize the flour first. This alters the starch molecules and makes for a silkier texture in a sauce/gravy and gives a slightly nutty flavor. Dextrinization also helps the flour to be easily digestible.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks Puffin3. Now we have a name for it. It just makes sense. It would be a good way to get a head start when making a roux..

When it adds so much flavor to a dish by making a roux first, it could be used for much more than just gumbo, and the color of the sauce or gravy shouldn't matter when it adds so much flavor.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Just remember that the darker the roux, the less thickening power it has.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The biggest dance step along with the Two Step is the polka.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #68
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Flour that has been heated by itself until slightly browned or beyond slightly has been 'dextrinized'. I believe I have posted here suggesting when you make a roux you dextrinize the flour first. This alters the starch molecules and makes for a silkier texture in a sauce/gravy and gives a slightly nutty flavor. Dextrinization also helps the flour to be easily digestible.
Thanks I learned a new term!

I had seen your earlier post and thought I understood what you were saying, I was wrong!

Reminded me of L. Ron Hubbard's advice about clearing words.

L. Ron Hubbard: Study Technology
Old 06-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Thanks I learned a new term!

I had seen your earlier post and thought I understood what you were saying, I was wrong!

Reminded me of L. Ron Hubbard's advice about clearing words.

L. Ron Hubbard: Study Technology
I used to make my kids look up words. We had a huge dictionary. Really too big for school age kids. I would end up giving them the shortened meaning in the end. But at least they learned how to use a dictionary.

Today, you just have to type in part of the word and the rest shows up with the meaning that can be understood.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
It's been really interesting learning about small-town life in North Carolina. I agree that her family connection helps a lot. I do like the openness and honesty she provides about the stresses of running now two restaurants in a small town.

We're going to Oak Island, NC, in July where my mom rented a house for us and other family members. We're going to try to arrange to have a meal there, probably on the way back since it's closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Chef & the Farmer
I'd love to hear what you think about it!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flour. gravy, gravy, other, roux