"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Same thing here with the San Marzano's. And apparently we share an underdeveloped palate, Kayelle, as I always use oregano too!
Ditto here! Save your money. I recently decided to try a house brand of jarred pasta sauce. A simple basil and tomato sauce. Looking at the ingredients, this is going to be my 'go to' jarred pasta sauce from here on in. There was no oregano listed. It is such a simple sauce, I can doctor it anyway I want. And the first thing to go into it, will be oregano. And it is nice and chunky. I doubt very much if this sauce has San Marzano tomatoes. Just your standard plum tomatoes. I can mike up a few meatballs, sausages, etc. and let them simmer in this sauce.

I tried a can of the Muir Glen San Marzano tomatoes once. And only because I had a coupon. Way over priced even then and nothing to write home about. They tasted bland to me. And they were not salt free either.

Save your money!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #42
Master Chef

Sounds like the Nina brand from Costco is something I'll have to try. My daughter loves them, too. Will put them on my list for my next Costco trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I tried a can of the Muir Glen San Marzano tomatoes once. And only because I had a coupon. Way over priced even then and nothing to write home about. They tasted bland to me. And they were not salt free either.

Save your money!
Just wanted to clarify...Muir Glen and San Marzanos are not the same. Muir Glen are organic tomatoes grown in CA, named after the naturalist John Muir.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
...Just wanted to clarify...Muir Glen and San Marzanos are not the same. Muir Glen are organic tomatoes grown in CA, named after the naturalist John Muir.
To clarify further, Muir Glen is a brand name. San Marzano is a type of plum tomato grown is a designated region in Italy. Only Muir Glen can sell Muir Glen tomatoes but many brands can sell San Marzanos.

I tried Muir Glen tomatoes once and found them too acidic to enjoy.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #44
Master Chef

Exactly, Andy. Thank you for clarifying further. I guess my hurried point was that although true regional San Marzanos do fall under many brand names, Muir Glen is not one of them. I appreciate your post.

By the way, I too found Muir Glen nothing to write home about. lol
Old 06-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #45
Senior Cook

I really like Rao's marinara sauce.
The recipe calls for salt pork to be sauteed to render some fat.
Never can get it to taste like the jar....
Old 06-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoracayB View Post
I really like Rao's marinara sauce.
The recipe calls for salt pork to be sauteed to render some fat.
Never can get it to taste like the jar....
Interesting. Rao is the name of Deity in two of the Fantasy novels I'm working on. So, this marinara sauce is mad by a god. It had better be good!

Wait. Oops. The deity's name in my novels is Rhaos. Silly me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Interesting. Rao is the name of Deity in two of the Fantasy novels I'm working on. So, this marinara sauce is mad by a god. It had better be good!

Wait. Oops. The deity's name in my novels is Rhaos. Silly me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Rao's Marinara Sauce Recipe

You may remember Rao's owner Frank Pellegrino from the Soprano's.

The Rao's cook book is a great collection of Italian American recipes.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #48
Master Chef

7 gen. ALL my relatives - aunt's, great aunt's, grandma and mom added Fresh (dry if fresh unavailable) - garlic, basil, oregano, flat leaf parsley, red pepper flakes, onion, salt, ground pepper, olive oil and red wine to marinara sauce (meatless tomato sauce) and gravy (tomato sauce with meat in it). It also depends on the region of Italy as to the herbs and spices added to dishes.

P.S. Since the arthritis in fingers and wrists chopping herbs has been a beast till I got this. This makes fast work of the herb chopping. I LOVE IT!

Zyliss FastCut Herb Mincer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41qDHZK-7cL.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	21458  
Old 06-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #49
Master Chef

After doing some online research (not wiki) it seems that the sauce I first described is a ragu. marinara was defined in every dictionary as a strong flavored tomato sauce that includes garlic and various herbs. I guess that means that you can put whatever herbs and spices you want into your Marinara. However, if you add meat, then it becomes a ragu.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
After doing some online research (not wiki) it seems that the sauce I first described is a ragu. marinara was defined in every dictionary as a strong flavored tomato sauce that includes garlic and various herbs. I guess that means that you can put whatever herbs and spices you want into your Marinara. However, if you add meat, then it becomes a ragu.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yep, that's what I've understood too. Someone said it becomes a Bolognese sauce with meat in it, however Bolognese contains milk, and yours did not.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking, marinara, other, technique