Marinara Cooking Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do I get to eat ice-cold watermelon:mrgreen:, and spit seeds at my sister, or drop a grape fizzy into a bottle of 7-UP and try to drink the foam without spilling it all over the grass. Do we get water balloons?

Aunt Pri-Fi, I want a hot dog. Can I go swimming now? Jimmy threw sand at me.

I wanna throw a girl in the river. Why can't I throw a girl in the river. Can I have more watermellon?:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes
Yes
<hot dog>
Yes
"Jimmy stop that!"
"cuz then you will have to marry her."
Yes

Probably because mare or maris is Latin for the sea or of the sea and frutti di mare is the fruit of the sea or seafood!

This is the story I was told or heard over the years as to the origin of Marinara sauce.

When the men were returning home from the sea, the women could see the ships on the horizon and knew their men would be home very soon.
So they hurried back home and made a quick tomato sauce so they could be back on the docks when the ship or ships arrived.
This is what was told to me.

It makes sense, but who knows?

Low heat

My last attempt with pressure cooker Marinara ended with burnt sauce on the bottom of the cooker. I am going to try again, this time bringing the pressure up with low heat.

My last attempt with pressure cooker Marinara ended with burnt sauce on the bottom of the cooker. I am going to try again, this time bringing the pressure up with low heat.

Marinara is a very simple sauce that doesn't need to be cooked very long. A pressure cooker is not necessary, and in fact, is overkill. My favorite is Rachael Ray's - takes 10 minutes altogether.

Five-Minute Spicy Marinara Recipe | Rachael Ray Show

And Mario Batali describes it well: Mario Unclogged: Marinara Sauce

Last edited:
Marinara is a very simple sauce that doesn't need to be cooked very long. A pressure cooker is not necessary, and in fact, is overkill. My favorite is Rachael Ray's - takes 10 minutes altogether.

I agree with you, usually. That is to say that I like the bright flavor of a young, minimally cooked tomato sauce. The flavors are more individual. I put the sauce into the fridge and let the flavors blend overnight and serve the following evening.

But sometimes, just sometimes, I want that "cooked all day" flavor. That's where the pressure cooker comes in. You can also make great lasagna in a PC. I did it for a PC class that I taught. 15 minutes at pressure was all that was needed.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I agree with you, usually. That is to say that I like the bright flavor of a young, minimally cooked tomato sauce. The flavors are more individual. I put the sauce into the fridge and let the flavors blend overnight and serve the following evening.

But sometimes, just sometimes, I want that "cooked all day" flavor. That's where the pressure cooker comes in. You can also make great lasagna in a PC. I did it for a PC class that I taught. 15 minutes at pressure was all that was needed.

You're absolutely right that sometimes a minimally cooked tomato sauce is what we want, and sometimes a longer cooked sauce is what we're looking for. It's just that calling this sauce a marinara when it contains meat and is cooked either for a long time conventionally, or in a pressure cooker, is confusing to people. :)

You're absolutely right that sometimes a minimally cooked tomato sauce is what we want, and sometimes a longer cooked sauce is what we're looking for. It's just that calling this sauce a marinara when it contains meat and is cooked either for a long time conventionally, or in a pressure cooker, is confusing to people. :)

Yeh, I admitted the mistake a few posts back. Go ahead and remove the non-marinara ingredients from the sauce. But use the techniques.

I just found an old (Oct 2005) edition of "Cooks Illustrated".
They had an article on canned tomato's.
Seems Mario's recommendation for San Marzano tomato's might not be needed or as important as he makes them sound?

I don't think I ever paid any attention to the canned tomato's. But I do love the "Nina" whole Italian canned tomato's available at Costco.
I think they are packed in tomato puree?
This is the brand I use for marinara.

Seems Mario's recommendation for San Marzano tomato's might not be needed or as important as he makes them sound?

I don't think I ever paid any attention to the canned tomato's. But I do love the "Nina" whole Italian canned tomato's available at Costco.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. I usually get what's on sale. If I go to BJ's, I get Del Monte. I don't think it makes all that much difference, to be honest.

I'll have to pick up some of those canned tomatoes at Costco. Thanks for the tip RB.
About San Marzano's tomatoes, I bit the bullet and paid the over inflated price for them once, buying into the hoopla, but never again. I couldn't tell the difference in the end product but then there are those who would consider my palate under developed since I always use oregano. :LOL:

I'll have to pick up some of those canned tomatoes at Costco. Thanks for the tip RB.
About San Marzano's tomatoes, I bit the bullet and paid the over inflated price for them once, buying into the hoopla, but never again. I couldn't tell the difference in the end product but then there are those who would consider my palate under developed since I always use oregano. :LOL:

Same thing here with the San Marzano's. And apparently we share an underdeveloped palate, Kayelle, as I always use oregano too!

May I submit that your tongues are only underdeveloped if you omit, arguably, the king of Itallian herbs - Sweet Basil. my sauce tomat always contains at least oregano, basil, salt, and garlic. Basil is the more prominent of those as I love its flavor.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Exactly what I use when making big batches of "Mother Sauce".

Back
Top Bottom