"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 10-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Nick, I sometimes add heavy cream to finish the sauce. My daughters and SO like it so much I have to make it that way regularly Though not all the time.

I always use dry marsala.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Thought about it some more. Grilled polenta wedges would probably kick-butt with this dish!

Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Risotto Milanese.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Ahh yes. Is that the traditional pairing?

I was thinking about the couscous because of it's texture, but a soft creamy rice would probably be even better! I can taste the marsala sauce mixing with the risotto now...

I'm still thinking of a real thick wedge of polenta too, perhaps made with some parm-reg and a little liquid from the mushrooms for extra flavor, then grilled up.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I actually abandoned the CIA's recipe on this one. It relied heavily on demi-glace, and used 50% red wine/50% marsala which just seemed wrong. Perhaps this is to cut the end cost in a restaurant or something.

I ended up playing around with ratios until I came up with the one I posted. It tastes pretty good.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef

For me, I like pasta with my Marsala although I'm not picky and will eat whatever's given. You could try a smaller type pasta which would pick up a lot of the sauce because of the shape. Something like gemelli or orecchiette comes to mind.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
For some reason egg noodles just don't get it for me - maybe because I feel more "homey" about those i.e., chicken soup, beef stroganoff. I always serve with pasta, usually linguini - but now that other things have been mentioned what about:
  • light lemon risotto with chopped asparagus
  • papparadella (twist with a straight two-pronged fork (like a carving set fork), twist the pasta around and around then let the noodles slide off the fork into a nice mound on the plate, drizzle with more sauce and shaved Parm-Regg
  • Grilled polenta cakes
  • for a vegetable I usually roast or grill some asparagus, chop, and toss in with the pasta - but I may try the lemon risotta and asparagus next time I make this
    Grilled or deep fried garlic/cheese grit cakes would be good too

And to cut the cost in a restaurant just be sure, if using pasta, to coat with olive oil/butter for moistening instead of a bunch of reduced marsala - use only a light drizzle and the rest on the meat.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I like Chicken/Veal Marsala with or without the cream. I use
a dry Marsala and ususally have a pasta side. Polenta and
risotto sound great as sides. Next time I'll try one of them.
Thanks for your "research"!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:04 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

One of our favorite things is a creamy mushroom Marsala sauce over a soft polenta..I've used a mix of mushroom, and even just plain old buttons and the sauce is lovely each time. Putting this same sauce over chicken just adds something special to our sunday dinners.
kadesma
Old 10-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #20
Sous Chef

ironchef - Orecchiette looks interesting, I've actully never had that shape of pasta before.
-----
Picked up and broke down a chicken for some more experimentation today.

Oh, I see some people here do finish their marsala recipes with cream instead of butter... thats first on the list today after I whip up some chicken demiglace (defrosting some brown chicken stock right now).

For sides, I defintely like the ideas of...

1. Egg Noodles/Pasta Rags/Orecchiette
2. Grilled Polenta Cakes
3. Risotto (especially a wild mushroom risotto using stock from whatever type of meat is being prepared. Yes, I do believe a brown veal stock wild mushroom risotto would work great with Veal Marsala...)

Asparagus tips definetly sound good for texture and color. The mushrooms remind me of the forest though, so I bet some fiddlehead ferns would go excellent with this as well.

EDIT: Perhaps melt a bit of truffle butter with reduced marsala with the fiddleheads - just enough to lightly coat them with a flavorful sheen.

Oh, and use a couple seared/roasted veal chops instead of the scaloppine.

Well, off to cook.

Tags
None