Marsala Pan Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh boy... this is good... :LOL:

I made a quick chicken demi-glace this morning with 2oz of dark roux, a sachet, and 5-C brown chicken stock. Reduced to 2-C over medium heat.

Soaked the porcini's for an hour in warm water. Stuck with my blend of Creminis and Oyster 'shrooms, along with my dry marsala (I tossed the sweet marsalas).

This time I added the soaked porcinis, 2-T of the mushroom liquid, and replaced the final tablespoon of butter with 1-T of Heavy Cream. I can honestly say that hands down this is the best Marsala dish I've ever eaten! :pig:

I can't wait to try it with a couple veal chops and veal demi-glace.

So here are the final ratios I ended up with...

1-T + 1-t Butter
1 Chicken Breast Half - Butterflied & Separated

1-T Minced Shallot
1/3-C Sliced Cremini Mushrooms
1/3-C Oyster Mushrooms
1/4-C Rehydrated Dried Porcini Mushrooms
1/2-C Marsala Wine
2-T Porcini Soaking Broth
1-T Chicken Demi-Glace
1-T Heavy Cream
1-t Minced Parsley
Kosher Salt & Black Pepper

Serves 2

I had limited time today, so I just ate it with another hunk of baguette, but oh man... :wacko:

EDIT: I found that I didn't require 2-T of heavy cream at the end. One tablespoon was just right.

Just personal use right now.

Someday far in the future (maybe 6-10yrs) I'd like to open a bistro/un-greasy greasy spoon hole-in-the-wall somewhere (this with risotto and asparagus would be a bit too "fancy" for what I'm thinking). But right now I'm just having fun cooking and learning. I'm actually headed back to school next semester during the day (I work nights) to work on a business degree so I could make this dream a reality. I figure if it never gets off the ground I can use the degree in my current field too.

Does Tyler have a recipe like this or something? I'll have to look it up tomorrow, have to go to work... :dry:

Not sure if Tyler has a Marsala recipe but it would be safe to assume that he would have one in one of his cookbooks or on the Food Network site. I remember him doing something similar on one of his Food 911 shows. I'm not sure though if it was Marsala, Picatta, Saltimbocca, or a combination of scallopini-style dishes.

Oh, is "Tyler's Ultimate" a show? I haven't watched the Food Network in a couple years, but I do remember that show "Food 911" with Tyler.

I thought you meant that the recipe I ended up with was close to one of Tyler's. My favorite Food Network show was "Taste" with David Rosengarten (Do you remember that one?). I'm also a fan of Alton Brown's approach to cooking (I ordered his giant DVD pack). Ditched my cable a few years ago though, so I haven't watched any shows in quite a while.

Right now I'm currently cooking out of the CIA's textbook, Anthony Bourdain's "Les Halles", and Thomas Keller's two books "The French Laundry" & "Bouchon". I also have a couple US regional cookbooks that are seeing some use. I'd like to get the classic bistro fair and popular US regional fare down-pat. My next foray will be into Sichuan cuisine. I picked up an excellent book on authentic techniques and recipes called "Land of Plenty". French and Chinese cuisines are my favorites. I like the humble common-man dishes, especially stews and braises.

Anyhoo, I feel very good about this recipe, so I'm moving on to tackle my next one.

TF has a chicken marsala on the food network site but it's an "interpretation" with sweet marsala and prosciutto and no shallots.

I had a half chicken breast left, so I whipped up another plate for lunch. This time I tried a few gratings of parm-reg over the finished dish. It definetly complements the sauce well. It brings a salty component that melds perfectly in the mouth with the earthy/savory/sweetness. Not sure if it's traditional, but I would definetly put a wedge and grater out for people who want it. I wouldn't use a young "cheesy" parm though... definetly needs an old crumbly hunk.

In Tyler Florence's "Tyler's Ultimate" show, he would go all over looking for the "perfect" recipe for certain dishes, usually simple ones like apple pie, fried chicken, potato dishes, etc. So, that's what I meant when I said you were sort of doing your own version since you were trying out different techniques for the same recipe.

That's exactly what I'm doing! :LOL:
Sounds like a good show! :)

There are so many recipes for the simple dishes. Bistro food and regional cuisines. I try and find an "authentic recipe" first, and then play from there trying to develop a "perfect" version (well, perfect in my mouth anyways...:-p ).

Nicholas Mosher said:
That's exactly what I'm doing! :LOL:
Sounds like a good show! :)

There are so many recipes for the simple dishes. Bistro food and regional cuisines. I try and find an "authentic recipe" first, and then play from there trying to develop a "perfect" version (well, perfect in my mouth anyways...:-p ).
Have you checked out Chef Patrick O'Connell's The Inn at Little Washington Cookbook? It has some good american regional recipes and beautiful photography.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom