"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 10-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Marsala Pan Sauce

Ok, I'm playing around with Marsala wines and pan sauces based on said wine (and the fond from sauteed meat). I picked up four bottles, two "sweet" and two "dry".

Today I was belting out some Veal Scaloppine Marsala w/Shrooms.

Right now the ratios I'm using are...

1-T Butter
2 Veal Scaloppine

1-T Minced Shallot
1/2-C Sliced Shrooms (Mixed)
1/2-C Marsala Wine
1-T Veal Demi-Glace
1-T Butter
1-t Minced Parsley
Kosher Salt & Black Pepper

I'd appreciate some of the recipes others use for this classic dish!

Tomorrow I'm going to try some with the more common Chicken Scaloppine. I don't stock chicken demi-glace in my freezer, so I will have to make a quick batch in the morning with some brown chicken stock, a roux, and a sachet.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Do you dust your veal in flour before you saute them? That's the only thing missing from your recipe that I would add, if you're not already doing it. For mushrooms, I like to use a mixture of cremini, oyster, and a little rehydrated dried porcini along with the rehydrating liquid. Gives a little more complexity to the sauce.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You should not poison anyone with this sauce. You should only serve it to me - I will put myself in harm's way for the benefit of your experimtations.

I do a much more basic sauce in this recipe.

Nonetheless this dish is good. I never keep veal demi-glace around so it's plain ol' chicken broth for me :-(

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Ironchef - HA! Thats the exact mushroom blend I was using... Thats what my market had this morning along with the common white buttons. I bought the dried porcinis, but didn't get the chance to soak 'em, so I was using cremini & oyster. I'll definetly add in the filtered soaking liquid tomorrow too. How much of it do you usually add?

I'm usually not a fan of flouring my meat (except fish), but I gave it a shot in my first batch and last batch (allowing the flour to saturate itself and better-bond to the meat). The scaloppine are ultra-thin, so they were only in the pan for 45sec or so. I found that I preferred high heat and an uncoated strip of meat. Letting the flour hydrate itself was second best, but the quick flour and fry method produced a light crisp exterior that separated in the sauce when I returned the veal pieces to the sauces to quickly reheat.

I also found a huge difference between using a sweet Marsala and a dry Marsala (oddly both had 18% alcohol). The sweet Marsala became way to sweet when it was reduced, but the dry Marsala was perfect. Just enough sweetness once it reduced.

Oh, I did have to sneak an extra teaspoon of butter in when I added the shallots and mushrooms.

Does anyone use cream in their Marsala recipes? Thats one thing I didn't try today, and will have to give a go tomorrow with the Chicken Marsala.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
Head Chef

I enjoyed your receipe with the veal scaloppine and also your marsala pan sauce.

Sounds yummy. I think you had a good idea about picking up two bottles of wine - one sweet and one dry.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Per serving, probably about 2 Tbsp. of the porcini liquid only as a little will go a long way as it's reducing with the marsala.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Sous Chef

ironchef - Awesome! That will definetly be a go tomorrow.
-----
kitchenelf - Cool recipe! Given the other common Italian items, I never thought of giving it a quick shaving of parm-reg or pec-rom at the end. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow. Given the sweet, savory, and slightly acidic nature of the sauce, salty might make a great addition!
-----
What do you guys think about a side. I think pasta is the most common isn't it? I see alot of recipes and photos with long pasta like linguini/fettucini/capellini, but a really wide noodle (yet still thin) is what comes to my mind... perhaps a broad egg-noodle? Or possibly even some pasta rags.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I enjoy serving this with couscous. I think the sauce soaking into the couscous is just heaven.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Soft Polenta or Mashed Potatoes -- neither is "traditional,' but both are quite tasty, and good for sopping up the sauce!

With the right seasonings, even plain old button mushrooms are great in Veal Marsala.

I personally would save the cheese for another dish.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Hmmm... couscous sounds interesting - I'm visualizing it's texture with the shrooms and juicy meat. Polenta sounds good too!

Today I was focusing just on this, so I paired it with a hunk of fresh warm baguette and a small plate of frisee aux lardons. Nothing like sopping up sauce with bread!

So tomorrow I'm going to try three things...

1. A few shavings of parm-reg and pec-rom at the end.
2. Using 2 tablespoons of the porcini soaking liquid with the Marsala.
3. Trying 2 tablespoons of cream rather than the butter at the end.

I'll also be moving along to chicken from veal.

Tags
None