"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Head Chef
Bilby, I think most of us think of a meat sauce as a sauce for pasta. I do.

But good point, if CC is using the term for making a sauce for meat, a port could work depending upon the meat and what the recipe is.

Or maybe the poster is using the term for some other sauce.

Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Thanks Aunt Dot. I wondered if it was terminology thing. To me, meat sauce doesn't automatically conjure up pasta. To me a sauce is rather runny. I would use a meat in sauce on rice, mixed with vegetables, over potatoes, on bread/toast, so forth, not just pasta. And as you say, it could have referred to a sauce for meat.

I guess the oceans get in the way of the words at times!! ;-)

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #13
Senior Cook
I have used both red wine and port in meat sauces, and my decision is usually based on two things:

1. What's left over?

2. What meat am I cooking with, or what is the sauce going on.

As has been mentioned, port is much sweeter, but it also should be noted that it has a much higher alcohol content, so it will help release that much more flavor from the meat and other ingredients. However, this extra flavor could be masked by the flavor of the port itself.

My rule of thumb is that pork and duck will benefit from port, whereas beef absolutely does not. Chicken and turkey could go either way as they are relatively neutral flavors to begin with.

And as was said before, port will not match well with tomato, and that is true regardless of which meats you are using.

ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Head Chef
I probably would not add my port to any sauce. Besides the port I have is too nice to hide in a sauce but I also think it's rather syrup like and sweet.

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote